Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Rolling fretboard edges on rosewood Tele neck - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Rolling fretboard edges on rosewood Tele neck

What's Hot
Is this a pro luthier job? My Fender MIM Classic 60s neck is pretty sharp at edges and I can’t imagine my playing will smooth it out in my lifetime. Did old Teles really soften over time? I read something about using flat part of screwdriver to chamfer it…
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    I use a Stanley knife blade as a scraper, go steady and sneak up on it..
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    scarry67 said:
    I read something about using flat part of screwdriver to chamfer it…
    Are you sure the advice wasn't to use the round shaft of a screwdriver to "rub" along the edge of the fretboard between the frets to soften/burnish the sharp corner?  That would seem more likely and would be safer for somebody to try without prior experience.  If you scrape or sand away the fretboard edge you need to be mindful of the fact that the frets are going to remain the same length on the wood they are embedded into, so if you remove too much wood between them the fret ends could end up feeling too pronounced like the serrations of a blunt bread knife.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited April 2023
    I've done it a bunch of times using the Stanley blade method, and finished off with micro mesh. 

Full description here and pic below

@BillDL is right that the screwdriver method is using the shaft of a screwdriver to compress the material, but I've always thought that would give less control so never done it that way.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    I’ve (gently) tried both methods and I think the screwdriver method is riskier in terms of damaging the finish on the shoulders of the neck.

Incidentally, I have a 2001 MIM Classic 60s Tele that has nicely rounded edges. I suspect the previous owner had played it a lot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    edited April 2023
    Gently scrape with a razor blade.  Hold it lightly, as light as possible without dropping it.

If you want a consistent rollover always scrape in one direction.  If you want more of a scalloped rollover, scrape back and forth.

Start with the blade nearly flat against the board, then do small scrapes, rotating slightly after each pass so the blade ends up nearly flat with the edge of the fretboard.

On old vid I did to show that 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    That's on an unfinished maple neck, but the same works on a finished rosewood one, you just lose a mm or so of finish to the round over.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 142
    Thanks all. Sounds and looks like a very careful approach with a Stanley knife is way forward. (And not after a couple of glasses of wine…)
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 733
    I’ve (gently) tried both methods and I think the screwdriver method is riskier in terms of damaging the finish on the shoulders of the neck.

This^

I tried the screwdriver method a few years ago on a rosewood board P-bass and ended up making a mess because the screwdriver cracked the finish which unbeknownst to me had been sprayed up onto the sides of the fingerboard. I would use a razor blade next time.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    I've done it a bunch of times using the Stanley blade method, and finished off with micro mesh. 

Full description here and pic below

@BillDL is right that the screwdriver method is using the shaft of a screwdriver to compress the material, but I've always thought that would give less control so never done it that way.

Thats the way I do it
    I change the angle of the blade to achieve a radius rather than a flat  (I guess Sticky does too)
    Ju
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

^^ yup 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    scarry67 said:
    Thanks all. Sounds and looks like a very careful approach with a Stanley knife is way forward. (And not after a couple of glasses of wine…)
    Just the blade though, you’ll have better fine control that way
  • RichACRichAC Frets: 595
    Since the original question has been answered, perhaps I could ask a more basic one… what’s the advantage of rolled fingerboard edges? Is it just a feel thing?

Either I’ve never played a guitar with them, or I haven’t noticed. 
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 142
    I may be wrong but I’ve got bruising on lower part of my left thumb on inside which I think is caused by wrapping it into the slightly sharp edge of the fretboard - but it might be age/knackered bones  :/
    RichAC said:
    Since the original question has been answered, perhaps I could ask a more basic one… what’s the advantage of rolled fingerboard edges? Is it just a feel thing?

Either I’ve never played a guitar with them, or I haven’t noticed. 
    It just makes the edges feel softer which makes the neck more comfortable and in turn makes the guitar easier to play. I guess you could make an analogy to an old worn-in shoe 

For me it’s a gamechanger and non-negotiable 
  • RichACRichAC Frets: 595
    Thanks! I’ll keep an eye out (and a finger) to see if I like it when I encounter one.  :)
  • slowbonesslowbones Frets: 1
    I used the edge of a screwdriver carefully on a MIM Strat Rosewood board. Happy with the results but feel like I could have gone a bit further. Might give the blade method a go.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    slowbones said:
    I used the edge of a screwdriver carefully on a MIM Strat Rosewood board. Happy with the results but feel like I could have gone a bit further. Might give the blade method a go.
    Screwdriver shaft ends up compressing the wood, so is limited and can crack varnish. Scraping with a blade is much better.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1