Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). replace my thr10. Looking for a rechargeable living room amp - spark mini or nux mighty air? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

replace my thr10. Looking for a rechargeable living room amp - spark mini or nux mighty air?

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
edited April 2023 in Amps
I've had my thr10 since they first came out and love the sound, size and ease of use, but I'd like to replace it with something I don't need to plug in.  It's many years since I looked at practice amps so I'd appreciate any reviews and thoughts.

I'd like something that sounds as good as the thr, but has usb charging and can also play songs through by Bluetooth.   

Just saw the new positive grid spark go but the mini is probably more practical.  I'm assuming it ticks all the boxes but is that the best option? 

Edit - just seen the nux mighty air that might be even better.     Has anyone compared them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ditchboyditchboy Frets: 186
    Would you recommend the thr10? I sold my fender mustang recently for some boss wazas but still fancy a small amp I can use in the living room. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    ditchboy said:
    Would you recommend the thr10? I sold my fender mustang recently for some boss wazas but still fancy a small amp I can use in the living room. 

I love the thr.   It gets used every day.  

I just want something that doesn't need any cables and has bluetooth for playing along with tracks - if you don't mind having a power supply and cables then the thr is great.
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 186
    Thanks. I’ve toyed with the idea of just buying a 5 rather than a 10 as they can be picked up for £100. 
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 521
    Put rechargeable batteries in your THR10, and buy a Bluetooth adaptor?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PALPAL Frets: 465
    Spark Mini.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    John, Boss Dual Cube LX IS SUPERB.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    edited April 2023
    John_P said:
    ditchboy said:

I just want something that doesn't need any cables and has bluetooth for playing along with tracks - if you don't mind having a power supply and cables then the thr is great.
    I thought the THR 10 took AA batteries, they’re easily replaceable unlike proprietary Li ion which will probably need to be sourced and replaced 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thanks chaps.   I don’t want the hassle of batteries and cables - so rechargeable and Bluetooth are key features if the mighty air or spark mini sound as good as the thr. 
  • shsam75shsam75 Frets: 1
    I think with both the Spark Mini and the Air you will be tied to a screen to get the best out of it. I have a thr10ii and even with 5 decent presets I still find myself opening the app to tweak.
    Having said that, Spark and Air do have solid apps, particularly Air with its 3rd party Mightier app (not on iOS5 though) I have a Nux Mighty Plug and I'm considering selling the thr to pick up a reduced Air now they have released the Space
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    John_P said:
    ditchboy said:

I thought the THR 10 took AA batteries, they’re easily replaceable unlike proprietary Li ion which will probably need to be sourced and replaced 
    this

just buy some rechargeable AAs  (takes 8)  and just use a  lead to connect your phone  to the aux in - its what i do, (or via the usb from a laptop) 

the THR has a much better sound that the spark mini (and no having to use the f***ing phone to change the settings)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Another option is a beefy Bluetooth speaker and a Nux MP1 ..... plug the Nux into the guitar then use an aux cable to go from that to the BT speaker. It will be in stereo so it sound wider than it is and the you can bluetooth backing tracks to the Nux which will then come out the speaker. This is what I do a lot when I'm not using headphones. 

Just get a beefy BT speaker, not a little one. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • BowksBowks Frets: 392
    I sold my THR10 v1 and replaced it with the THR10IIW, which has a recharbable battery and a wireless receiver that works with the Line 6 G10. It gets used every day, either to play guitar or as a Bluetooth speaker.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    Sounds like you might just want the THR10ii, as Bowks says. I've got the THR30ii - rechargeable, battery lasts about 3-4 hours, bluetooth, wireless adapter so no messy cables to trip over. I love it!
    Tim
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

I was looking at the THR but they are expensive, THR30ii with the G10 ends up around £550.

The Spark mini with a separate wireless system from Amazon would be around £200.

Depends on budget I guess.

The Spark mini with a separate wireless system from Amazon would be around £200.

or a used THR10  with a set of  rechargeable AAs and a wireless transmitter  about the same,  and better ;)
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445
    bertie said:

or a used THR10  with a set of  rechargeable AAs and a wireless transmitter  about the same,  and better ;)
    But the thread is literally about him getting rid of a THR10.

To be fair I see why people want built in lithium batteries over AA’s.  

edited April 2023
    But the thread is literally about him getting rid of a THR10.

yes for specific reasons - for which there are alternatives, 

having been  someone that was going to do the same thing  I now certainly wouldnt get shot of a THR10 for a Spark Mini. In fact I didnt I got shot of the Spark

but yes, its a great shame that the new THRs with on-board rechargeables - come in so expensive
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 825
    I made the mistake of selling my original THR10 and replacing with a THR10ii Wireless, mainly for the considerations the OP has listed. All the extra toys were wonderful, sadly it didn't sound anywhere near as good so only lasted a few weeks before being replaced with a THR5. Currently in the process of building a bit of a mutant original THR10 from a faulty/damaged one I got on the cheap.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 173
    edited April 2023
    John, Boss Dual Cube LX 
    He has a point.Recently got one and impressed.
    Update -   thanks for all the comments.

I ordered a spark mini last night and it arrived today.   Just got in from a day out and had a quick try with it.  

Feels solid and chunky enough for a tiny box, super easy to use - already programmed 4 presets and playing along to songs on spotify.  Plenty of volume for a sofa amp and it'll get used on trips away as a bluetooth speaker.        I'd already had the nux 5rc wireless system so with that I've got a much tidier setup with no cables that I can take anywere.    Very impressed on first impressions.
    I always prefer AA’s as it doesn’t mean I’ve got to do surgery when the inbuilt cell dies 
      And if they die you can buy them anywhere . Spark mini is still pretty awesome though 
    John_P said:
    Update -   thanks for all the comments.

I ordered a spark mini last night and it arrived today.   Just got in from a day out and had a quick try with it.  

Feels solid and chunky enough for a tiny box, super easy to use - already programmed 4 presets and playing along to songs on spotify.  Plenty of volume for a sofa amp and it'll get used on trips away as a bluetooth speaker.        I'd already had the nux 5rc wireless system so with that I've got a much tidier setup with no cables that I can take anywere.    Very impressed on first impressions.
    Congratulations , the mini seems an awesome bit of kit and from what I’ve seen on videos & forums is supposed to project the sound quite well . I wouldn’t mind one 
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    edited June 2023
    Danny1969 said:
    Another option is a beefy Bluetooth speaker and a Nux MP1 ..... plug the Nux into the guitar then use an aux cable to go from that to the BT speaker. It will be in stereo so it sound wider than it is and the you can bluetooth backing tracks to the Nux which will then come out the speaker. This is what I do a lot when I'm not using headphones. 

I'd be interested in this solution, @Danny1969 ;;

Can you, or anyone else, recommend a bluetooth speaker with Aux input that sounds good for this purpose? I tried it before sending the headphone output of my Line 6 Amplifi TT to the AUX Input of a Mackie Freeplay BT speaker and there was a significant latency issue.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    BigPaulie said:
    Danny1969 said:

I'd be interested in this solution, @Danny1969 ;

Can you, or anyone else, recommend a bluetooth speaker with Aux input that sounds good for this purpose? I tried it before sending the headphone output of my Line 6 Amplifi TT to a Mackie Freeplay BT speaker and there was a significant latency issue.
    I'm considering this approach. I'm only looking at speaker options just now, and haven't tried any out, but would remark that it's possible to get both a mighty plug pro and a Marshall Acton III for cheaper than a THR wireless/Katana Air, etc
    Well you can't use BT to send the guitar signal as that is packet based and channel hopping so will always have latency .. always. 
    My approach is to just connect a 3.5mm stereo aux cable from the Nux MP to the aux input of various speakers I have here inc a Creative Stage speaker, a Sony iPod dock and a few other various BT speakers with aux inputs using 3.5mm stereo jack socket. 

2 of these things were picked up in charity shops for less than a fiver. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    edited June 2023
    Danny1969 said:
    Well you can't use BT to send the guitar signal as that is packet based and channel hopping so will always have latency .. always. 
    My approach is to just connect a 3.5mm stereo aux cable from the Nux MP to the aux input of various speakers I have here inc a Creative Stage speaker, a Sony iPod dock and a few other various BT speakers with aux inputs using 3.5mm stereo jack socket. 

Cheers, Danny.

I should have been more specific and say I was connecting the Amplifi TT to the Mackie speaker via Aux cable and the latency was unusable.

I've had similar latency issues using the Aux input on various BT speakers by Anker, Sony and JBL

Hence asking for a recommendation of a BT speaker with Aux in which does not have latency issues over AUX.
    BigPaulie said:
    Danny1969 said:

Cheers, Danny.

I should have been more specific and say I was connecting the Amplifi TT to the Mackie speaker via Aux cable and the latency was unusable.

I've had similar latency issues using the Aux input on various BT speakers by Anker, Sony and JBL

Hence asking for a recommendation of a BT speaker with Aux in which does not have latency issues over AUX.
    I've just had a play through the Creative Stage ... this does have a tiny bit of latency but it's very very small, maybe due to the digital DSP circuit  before the amp which EQ's the input to the speakers. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    I’m going through pretty much every desktop modeller and now I’ve just picked up the Spark mini and I’m in flipping awe of it. Had the 40 previously but felt it wasn’t portable enough and a bit bassy/boomy but this model is just perfection for my needs. I’m getting some sounds I’ve been hankering for all my life too, namely AC30 overdriven stuff. Anyone who’s looking for Weller/Jam sounds (really, really decent ones, think Setting sons/ All mod cons era) they’re inside this little box.….and whilst I’m sat at my dining room table for God’s sake! Big, big, thumbs up from me. 
    I play at my dining room table.