Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Making a duplicate 1961 Hagstrom bass pickup - Made in the UK Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Making a duplicate 1961 Hagstrom bass pickup

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
in Made in the UK tFB Trader
I had an interesting pickup come into my workshop a while ago - from a 1961 Hagstrom bass similar to the one pictured below.

The issue, aside from being dead as a Dodo, was the material making up the bobbin - some sort of casting epoxy resin - was breaking down with age. Bits were missing, and the bobbin was altogether too fragile to rewind successfully.
The only answer I could see was to build a close replica of the pickup.
I started by CAD designing and laser cutting a piece of thick, black acrylic ... then I befan to attack the replica top with files, wet and dry paper, wire wool, and finally metal polish. 

I have deliberately put a fraction less 'dome' on the pickup to make the edges stronger. 

I added alnico 5 pole pieces - and like the original, fitted an extra, narrow ceramic bar magnet underneath 

Time to wind - and I had to use a taped on wooden block to stop the tailstock marking the bobbin top.

Finally we have the result ... which has gone back to a delighted customer to be included in a large scale rebuild of the original - that apparently sat in a damp shed for over 20 years! 
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Beautiful work
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Should be good for at least another 20 years in a new damp shed

Amazing job thanks for sharing
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    I'll try and get a pic when the bass is completed and post it 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1521
    Do we expect any specific sonic characteristics from this construction?

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    DannyP said:
    Do we expect any specific sonic characteristics from this construction?

Pretty much the same general coil dynamic as a Rickenbacker - but without all the maple and all the chrome :-)
    I would expect it to be live and quite punchy - but without quite the body mass in the instrument so a bit thinner.  
    The necks on these are apparently gorgeous if you like a slim Jazz Bass aesthetic.  
    Next time I'm in Finland I may try and pick one up. Why Finland you may ask ... well in the early days of Finnish rock and roll just about all you could get at reasonable prices were Hagstrom ... they did amps and PA too I believe. Finland has a lot of old Hagstroms