Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Taylor 210 Worth Over £1k? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Taylor 210 Worth Over £1k?

What's Hot
jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 641
edited April 2023 in Acoustics
Hi all

That exciting time of year has come around where I get to renew my home insurance!! Standard stuff, any specific item over £1k needs specifying - wife's engagement ring and my USA Fender Jaguar are usually the only items required. 

However, I think my acoustic might now qualify - interested in opinions! 

It's a 2004 model (bought 2006 for my 21st birthday as a gift from my parents) Taylor 210. A bargain at the time as that model was about to be moved to Mexican production so I got it for £529 including hardcase as an end-of-line deal. My dad was miffed that I managed to milk an extra 29 quid over the budget, but it's a hell of a guitar, even now. 

Anyway, thought I'd see where an equivalent model sat today, assuming insurance would replace old for new since I'd owned from new. 

A 210 is now about £800+, BUT:
- laminate back and sides
- no hardcase
- made in Mexico 

To me, that's *on paper* an inferior instrument to my California-made, fully solid Taylor with original hardcase. The nearest equivalent I can see is the Taylor AD17, which fits between the 200- and 300-series instruments. Not many examples without the electronics but those that exist are £1299ish. Quite a jump in price!

What do we reckon? Can I legitimately say replacing old for new equivalent will put my guitar at £1.3k? Or will I be forced to have 'like-for-like' if the worst happened and it got nicked/ damaged??

https://i.ibb.co/4PDV9gK/PXL-20230403-073451830-PORTRAIT.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 641
    Bump for opinions!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Sorry mate, didn't see this the first time around. 

In two words: "no", and "hell no!".A  laminate back alone puts replacing it with a new 210 out of the question. Your nearest  new equivalent will be a 3-series (or possibly higher) Taylor. (Hard case, made in the US, all-solid.) 

In describing the item to the insurance company do NOT say "Taylor 210 but better than the current model", that could lead to tears. Put it down as a something like  "Taylor guitar, made in the USA, dreadnought body, solid Sitka Spruce top, solid Indian Rosewood (or whatever) back and sides, mahogany neck, factory hard case, 2006 model 210 serial number 123456789".

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 641
    Tannin said:
    Sorry mate, didn't see this the first time around. 

In two words: "no", and "hell no!".A  laminate back alone puts replacing it with a new 210 out of the question. Your nearest  new equivalent will be a 3-series (or possibly higher) Taylor. (Hard case, made in the US, all-solid.) 

In describing the item to the insurance company do NOT say "Taylor 210 but better than the current model", that could lead to tears. Put it down as a something like  "Taylor guitar, made in the USA, dreadnought body, solid Sitka Spruce top, solid Indian Rosewood (or whatever) back and sides, mahogany neck, factory hard case, 2006 model 210 serial number 123456789".

That's helpful (and what I wanted to hear!) Thanks @Tannin - have a wiz. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    yep -  put down the new cost of getting something of the same build quality/materials  -    and if necessary describe it. not just the model.

They will need to cater for this,  there are many makes/models that arent even made any more so just using the "no."  isnt appropriate anyway :)

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 263
    I have a similar thing with my Taylor 710e. I have it insured for £2,800 but not sure if that is too low? It's a discontinued model so can't find another one to compare it to.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    Im lucky - my insurer only required individual items over £2.5k 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.