Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Parlour Guitar - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Parlour Guitar

What's Hot
I have just a small amount of cash and was going to take the plunge on this as it is within my budget and Vintage have a good reputation at the cheaper end of the market. Does anybody have any experience of these guitars? Its a Statesboro Paul Brett Whisky Sour Electro Acoustic. Just trying to get the image. 

https://imgur.com/4uMLv6n

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    I’ve got a 12 string variant of that but spruce/rosewood rather than mahogany. Great little guitar, I’m sure you’ll be happy with it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    I'd recommend you look at a Taylor GS Mini.

I'm sure it must have been recommended to you before, and it's a cracking little guitar 

Try to find one locally and try it out. 

:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    No experience of those, sorry. GS Mini defo good (I like their sapele model)
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited April 2023
    Mellish said:
    I'd recommend you look at a Taylor GS Mini.

I'm sure it must have been recommended to you before, and it's a cracking little guitar 

Try to find one locally and try it out. 

about £350 difference in price tho !!!   The Vintage < £100
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    There is a Cort AP550M catching my eye too,especially as it claims to have a 45mm nut width.
    @bertie ; well I was recommending what I've tried mate. A GS Mini is the lowest priced small guitar I've tried. I didn't want to steer him towards guitars I've never tried. 

Keep in mind scale length. 
    I never realised it would make such a difference but on mine being both 12 fret and a reduced 24.75", it sounds warm and is very easy to play. It invites you to play.
    edited April 2023
    Mellish said:
    @bertie ; well I was recommending what I've tried mate. A GS Mini is the lowest priced small guitar I've tried. I didn't want to steer him towards guitars I've never tried. 

true -  but the OP saying 

"I have just a small amount of cash and was going to take the plunge on this as it is within my budget" 

it  being a £99 pound guitar for me kind of ruled out recommending anything above £150   
    edited April 2023
    @bertie ;;;Well if that's what he wants.

What I was really thinking about was some of the guitars I've bought. There was one in early '74. I'd seen it but my funds were way short. 
    It was a Hummingbird. 

I had a choice: go for something cheaper or save. Took me three years but I did it. 

Maybe Jack can't do that, so whatever he goes for I wish him well. 

• Take a look at the Guild M20 or M120 ( yes I happen to be selling one ) I’ve had a couple of GS minis and personally I believe the guild is a better guitar . Subjective I know 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    fwiw my Vintage V300MH is a favourite. First all mahogany guitar I've owned though. Rather think I might be a fan of small mayogany instruments generally but no real need to buy more/no spare dosh at present!
    Was just playing my parlour there and damn... I LOVE parlour guitars. I don't give a toss if there's a tad less bass. They're easy to pick up, the sound is SWEET, absolutely freaking love them.

Acoustic GAS is EVIL. 
    I have a bunch of new guitars and instead of playing them I'm still looking at others. Wtf!? Time to stop looking and get back to playing as a good player can make any guitar sound great!!
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 598
    Was just playing my parlour there and damn... I LOVE parlour guitars. I don't give a toss if there's a tad less bass. They're easy to pick up, the sound is SWEET, absolutely freaking love them.

Acoustic GAS is EVIL. 
    I have a bunch of new guitars and instead of playing them I'm still looking at others. Wtf!? Time to stop looking and get back to playing as a good player can make any guitar sound great!!
    It's a good point about playing rather than GASing but I really do need another guitar! (I think)
    It's like an addiction.. 
    Of course a custom shop Martin and oov-03 and then I'm done... Lol
    edited April 2023
    Oasis Music in Ringwood have a used P-05 in stock for £1395 (not on website currently)
    There's also a used Larrivee P-01 walnut for £695 on Reverb
    I know this because I just bought another guitar (yes.... truth)
  • a good player can make any guitar sound great!!
    Which you are, and you do, which is probably why you're always looking for that 'perfect' model - no matter what you pick up, you make it sound good, so it's relatively about as hard for you to find something you really like as it is for us shit players, who struggle to make anything sound good! :D
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    a good player can make any guitar sound great!!
    Which you are, and you do, which is probably why you're always looking for that 'perfect' model - no matter what you pick up, you make it sound good, so it's relatively about as hard for you to find something you really like as it is for us shit players, who struggle to make anything sound good! :D
    Never, Dennis - as long as we are all enjoying it. I saw your contribution in the top 3 songs thread - you can do it, Dennis! 
    I look forward to next big meetup as for me will be an ultimate acoustic fest having switched completely now!
    --> I managed to find a rare little guitar which should be getting delivered within 1-2 days.... :)
    I'm getting something shortly, too - a set of rosewood bridge pins made by Mrs M's younger brother!

:D
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
     That's cool actually - pics when done and sound review :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've got a Tanglewood TW133ASM - I paid about £150 for mine "shop soiled" but I never found a mark on it (a few years ago now admittedly) and I think it's a fantastic guitar for picking, and not bad as a strummer either.  They seem to be listed at £350 now though, so not really cheap anymore unfortunately.
  • Just the heads up.Peach are doing PRS all solid woods with pickup parlours @£329.
    That's a good deal!
    Just the heads up.Peach are doing PRS all solid woods with pickup parlours @£329.
    if you mean the P20E,   tha's laminate back/sides
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 173
    edited April 2023
    bertie said:
    Just the heads up.Peach are doing PRS all solid woods with pickup parlours @£329.
    According to peach website it states solid top and sides.?Prs website also said it’s all solid mahogany.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1322
    bertie said:
    According to peach website it states solid top and sides.?Prs website also said it’s all solid mahogany.
    Only the top is described as solid.

All mahogany is not the same as all solid mahogany, many manufacturers use this slightly misleading terminology.
    edited April 2023
    bertie said:
    nope  Peach says

Solid Mahogany Top,  Mahoglany back and sides

if it doesnt say solid before the back and sides,  its not solid,   trust me  - its an old way of making it look better than it is.  Lots of brands do this

======================================

PRS website

BODY
    Top WoodSolid Mahogany
    Middle WoodMahogany
    Back WoodMahogany
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    Isn't that PRS model supposed to be pretty good nontheless? 
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 173
    edited April 2023
    Deleted.
    Isn't that PRS model supposed to be pretty good nontheless? 
    I believe two bretheren posted pics only recently
    edited April 2023
    Oasis Music in Ringwood have a used P-05 in stock for £1395 (not on website currently)
    There's also a used Larrivee P-01 walnut for £695 on Reverb
    I know this because I just bought another guitar (yes.... truth)
    So.... I managed to score a rare (used) cedar-topped, walnut back & sides Larrivee. 

Oiled the fretboard, changed strings etc - very nice sound (think of Lowden cedar/walnut) but as per tonewood charts you can see it's got quite a bit of treble and too piercing a treble doesn't go well with my old eardrums (I thought the cedar would have tamed it but alas, not). So unfortunately going to return - I now know I am not big on harder woods that give too much bass and particularly too much treble (never liked koa for this reason) - softer woods all the way for me. So actually - good old mahogany / sapele is my best bet and it's no wonder I always like playing those guitars. The Bhilwara I recently got, I must say, is fantastic - softer than rosewood so you don't get the high-end shrill. With bass oomph and the resonance of rosewood but the woody sound of mahogany. So in effect I have 3 different types of mahogany guitar- 

-- sapele (less mid-range hump, slightly wider frequency range low & high than mahogany)
    -- "genuine" mahogany 
    -- Bhilwara 

I am now absolutely exhausted from buying guitars, my house looking like a guitar shop. It ends now lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter