Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). G7th Performance 3 Capo - Gear Reviews Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

G7th Performance 3 Capo

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5218
I'm playing far more acoustic guitar these days (that could have something to do with my new J-45) and I was becoming tired of the cheap spring loaded capo I was using, which always seemed to pull the strings slightly sharp.

So, I took the plunge after reading a few reviews and watching some YouTube videos I purchased the Performance 3 Capo from G7th.

At £35 it was the most I've ever spent on any capo but still not hideously priced especially when it's put to work.

Right out of the packaging it's a beautifully made thing and seems to be very high quality and engineered very well.  In use it surpasses any other capo I've had the misfortune of using - it just works.

Just place it in the position you want and squeeze with just enough pressure to clamp it in place, and you're done!  No springs to fight or screw clamps to adjust.

It has an adaptive pad which adjusts to the radius of the fingerboard, whatever guitar you happen to be playing - it reminds me of how a windscreen wiper adapts to the curvature of the windscreen on a car, the principle seems very similar to me, although in the blurb I've read it probably has a bit more science to it than that.

Because it adapts to the radius of the guitar's fingerboard it doesn't require excessive force to adequately fret the strings, which is the bugbear of other capos and which seems to pull the strings sharp.

To disengage, just press a little lever on the back and the pressure is released.

Whatever guitar I use and wherever I place it on the neck notes all seem to intonate correctly and I've not had any of the issues with strings being pulled sharp or having to adjust the angle to compensate and then having strings not being fretted properly.

The other thing I really like about it is the fact that there are no large sticky-out bits to catch on anything or whack your hand on in dumb moments and it's very unobtrusive in use.

I don't know why it took me so long to discover G7th capos or to buy one.  I'm really impressed.

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 665
    Good review, I agree. I didn't try one for ages because I thought they looked too bulky, and a bit expensive. But actually they work really well and worth the money. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 526
    Another +1 . . . They are just brilliant :-)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited April 2023
    £35 seems a lot -   I paid less than £30  -  but that was last year

I had the original G7 (which I sold)  and the performance I got last year -  and TBH for me, even with the "new adaptive thing" (which is why I tried the performance)  they both suffer the same problems, they really dont adapt to various fretboard radii well without "hard clamping"    at least not for the guitars I have - especially so on the Brook

I think the Nashville is a much better capo,  more versatile and a lot cheaper and seems to adapt to fretboards better
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I need to try one of these. I don’t love the shape of it but a single capo that works with all my guitars would be lovely
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    bertie said:
    £35 seems a lot -   I paid less than £30  -  but that was last year

I had the original G7 (which I sold)  and the performance I got last year -  and TBH for me, even with the "new adaptive thing" (which is why I tried the performance)  they both suffer the same problems, they really dont adapt to various fretboard radii well without "hard clamping"    at least not for the guitars I have - especially so on the Brook

I think the Nashville is a much better capo,  more versatile and a lot cheaper and seems to adapt to fretboards better

Brook have very flat fretboard radii.  When I had a Brook I used to use a Shubb classical on it.

The flat radius and shallow neck profile are why I sold the Brook.  Great guitar but I just couldn't get on with it.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    crunchman said:
    The flat radius and shallow neck profile are why I sold the Brook.  Great guitar but I just couldn't get on with it.

Im having same issue with the Furch and the V profile, its just too much of a battle
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.