Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). WTB: Late 80s/early 90s 3-head cassette deck - Misc £ Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

WTB: Late 80s/early 90s 3-head cassette deck

What's Hot
TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1287
edited May 2023 in Misc £
I recently inherited a really nice collection of blues/jazz cassettes & I'd like to give them a listen, while also enjoying the nostalgia of some of my earliest music memories.

Looking for a mid/high-ish tier Japanese deck with strong playback features (all formats, HX pro, recording capabilities etc), & in good working order (refurbed would be a bonus)!

Budget will depend on the deck, but I'm not going to go far over £125 unless it's something spectacular - I mean, if someone wanted to sell a Nakamichi Dragon for super cheap, who am I to say no? astonished

Let me know what you have!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1287
    Updated & bumped :+1: There seem to be a lot of units up on eBay at any given time so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out there, but if someone here has something nice I'd definitely be interested!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 2922
    Make sure you factor in a belt replacement and service, unless it's already been done.

I picked up a Sony TC-K570 a while ago and the the belts were just mush.

R.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    I still have my Nakamichi , but it's not the Dragon unfortunately- it's a BX-2 , but still a great deck . (not that I'm selling it)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

I still have my Nakamichi , but it's not the Dragon unfortunately- it's a BX-2 , but still a great deck . (not that I'm selling it)
    Very cool! I almost bid on a "Cassette Deck 2" a while back because the price seemed reasonable compared to previous sales, but chickened out in the end. I think I'd be too scared to own/use a Dragon in all honesty.
    Make sure you factor in a belt replacement and service, unless it's already been done.

I picked up a Sony TC-K570 a while ago and the the belts were just mush.

R.

Cheers for the advice :+1: I was hoping, perhaps naively so, that it'd be something I could do myself... Surely it can't be too difficult to crank the top off & install a new belt?

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 2922
    Tenebrous said:
    Cheers for the advice :+1: I was hoping, perhaps naively so, that it'd be something I could do myself... Surely it can't be too difficult to crank the top off & install a new belt?

This is a 670 (similar to the 570): 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    Keep a look out for a TEAC V-1050. I picked one up on ebay a few years ago for a reasonable price, and apparently they have the same quality mechanism as was in the Tascam Portastudios.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 211
    Does it have to be three head?

The Yamaha KX series is very good - I have one and they are worth considering.
    Does it have to be three head?

The Yamaha KX series is very good - I have one and they are worth considering.

Not neccessarily =) I'd just like to buy something quality the first time & not leave myself thinking "what if" & contemplating an upgrade just a few months later.
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 211
    Have a read of this - it's a thread I started on another forum. In the end I was offered a 3 head deck by a local audio engineer who, when he checked it out, found it had developed a mystery fault. I stuck with my collection of 2 head decks in the end just for ease and because they all sound good to me.

The thread below is just to offer a bit of opinion from those who know more than me. At the end of the day if you find a machine you like and its well maintained you will have fun. Good luck :)

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=191863

Have a read of this - it's a thread I started on another forum. In the end I was offered a 3 head deck by a local audio engineer who, when he checked it out, found it had developed a mystery fault. I stuck with my collection of 2 head decks in the end just for ease and because they all sound good to me.

The thread below is just to offer a bit of opinion from those who know more than me. At the end of the day if you find a machine you like and its well maintained you will have fun. Good luck :)

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=191863

Just made it through the first page! Seems like a lovely forum & plenty of helpful advice to be had there =) Thanks a lot for the link. I'll broaden my net a wee bit then, yet perhaps tighten it in others. I almost bid on a very pricy Technics deck yesterday but it went for nearly double on what I was planning on bidding anyway!
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 238
    I have a Denon DRS-810 (black). Bought it many years ago, but after the initial testing, it sat unused.  It's not quite a Nakamichi, but was very well regarded when released. 

Having been unused, it looks immaculate, just as it did when new, I even have the box.

If you are interested, make me an offer.  I see that you are based in Birmingham, I'm not far away in Stone, so we can meet halfway, or you are welcome to come here and have a look.