Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What do you think about this Gold Top? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What do you think about this Gold Top?

What's Hot
icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 291
I’d always thought the distressed /relic treatment was only used on electric guitars, yet here we have a hi-end Atkin L-36 Goldtop with an aged finish. 

Yours for £5k ! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 598
    Doesn't even look like real gold!

Pretty though:-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    Atkin  do a whole "line" that are  "aged" 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    I'd rather age my own. Even then I am quite finicky over my cheap guitars and like them to stay newish looking. I was always a kid who looked after my things as I appreciated how tough it was for my parents to buy them. False ageing horrifies me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    I'd rather age my own. Even then I am quite finicky over my cheap guitars and like them to stay newish looking. I was always a kid who looked after my things as I appreciated how tough it was for my parents to buy them. False ageing horrifies me.
    Me too , but I can live with distressed jeans ,and guitars , 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1652
    I have seen but not played these coloured tops from Atkin and yeah I get it with sunburst you can spray on a sunburst pretty light or use stains as the base whenever I have sprayed gold I always seem to have to use more than I thought i would to get a good depth and balance of finish. Maybe that's just my limited experience but for me gold plus top coat seems a lot more finish than I would want on an acoustic guitar. 

Has anyone played one of the Atkin solid finishes? I am sure they have done a pro job but interested to see what they sound like. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    Love it. A bit different.
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    Meh.
    The colour isn't too bad,but the faux crackling,oh marone!
  • ShadowShadow Frets: 58
    I'd be ok with it on a £200 guitar but £5k? No thanks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    edited March 2023
    "Pretty" is a good word for these: pretty bloody awful.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It looks like a Gretsch Jim Dandy which retail for the princely sum of 100-200 pounds. Hardly the image a boutique maker wants,I'd guess.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    It's trying to appeal to snobbery. By that I mean to someone who can afford a lovely new guitar but wants it to look ancient.
    As for Atkin themselves, I ask why? :o
    I'm sure someone will love it. Not me though, I try to keep my stuff in good condition.
    I agree with @Shadow - maybe at £200 not £5k.

• TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Thinking this over, it needs a tacky gold and white bakelite headstock veneer, two pickguards, and for that proper vintage feel, a slot head with really low quality tuners. (Ideally with two of the strings wound on backwards.) And there is something NQR about that rosewood bridge and fretboard. Purple Heart would be about right, but with extra bling. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    icu81b4 said:
    I’d always thought the distressed /relic treatment was only used on electric guitars, yet here we have a hi-end Atkin L-36 Goldtop with an aged finish. 

Yours for £5k ! 

Aging acoustics is quite common.

Martin do the mahogany Streetmaster line. Eastman do the antique varnish models which I really like although those guitars are at a lower price point. I'm not sure I would want it on a £5K guitar though.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    Kilgore said:
    icu81b4 said:

Yours for £5k ! 

Aging acoustics is quite common.

indeed

its not the same treatment as they do for Leccys.  pretty much  just a subtle aging of the top and lacquer,  tho most companies only really "age" the colour 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 665
    I don't mind the colour, quite like it. It's something different. Don't really like the 'cracks' they've done though, not really sure it works on that finish. 
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 59
    Personally, I hate any false aged finishing, but talking to a dealer of Atkin guitars a while ago, it seems they sell a lot more of them than the standard finish so I may be in the minority.
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 88
    I’ve played the same model, the one they have at Coda Music. It’s a fun guitar, sounds great, but didn’t win me over. I quite liked the look of the gold top, but the gold neck was a bit odd. I love the aged thing but it’s all personal preference.
  • PCT57PCT57 Frets: 26
    Yuk!!