Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). OM’s up to price of OM28 Reimagined - your experiences? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

OM’s up to price of OM28 Reimagined - your experiences?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jw_H-535jw_H-535 Frets: 9
    edited April 2023
    Go for a vintage Om-21. I recently got one from Glenn’s guitars, best investment I’ve made in years. All the quality and sound of a 28 but the price of a more budget model. Excellent for finger style or strumming, you really can’t go wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    tomjax said:
    I generally find mahogany bodies too dry and bland, but each to their own.
    I agree. There are dozens of timbers which are not as over-lush as rosewood tends to be and not as dry as mahogany often is. Just for a handful of examples, consider. Koa, European Walnut, Queensland Maple, Blackwood, Rock:Maple, London Plane, Claro Walnut ... Did I say dozens of better, more subtle alternatives? Quite possibly hundreds.

(Disclaimer: I own a rosewood guitar and like it, but it's not one I want to play all day. Ditto the one mahogany guitar I own. There is more to life than the same-old, same-old.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    edited April 2023
    I want to try all those woods

To add - the bhilwara Larrivee I just got is LUSH. It is massively suited to open airy pieces. 

But when it comes to intricate fingerstyle, the mahogany "plum" sound (if that makes sense) still absolutely nails it. In fact I'd say well done  mahogany has a very syrupy tone which I love.

Convinced you need different guitars for different pieces. 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    Mahogany versions of guitars seem to be more expensive than the standard 'spruce? ' topped models.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited April 2023
    this thread is rapidly becoming like Jilly Goolden describing wine on Food and Drink in the 90s

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertie said:
    this thread is rapidly becoming like Jilly Goolden describing wine on Food and Drink in the 90s

I want a guitar that sounds like the smell of fish scales and old paper and leather, like a fishy library. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    Everybody has a favourite, find your own that best fits whatever style you play.
    Despite all the comments above I have a Lowden cedar top, rosewood back & sides and I love it. Wouldn't swap it for mahogany.
    Trust your ears.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jw_H-535jw_H-535 Frets: 9
    Glenn’s guitars has a Om-21 at the time of posting. I got mine from him in late 2022, best acoustic I’ve ever played and I’ve played a few. All the attributes of the higher models but less ostentatious. If you are wanting a high line Om but don’t want the various inlays etc. that’s the model I’d choose.