Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Best acoustic under £1000 ??? (updated price limit) - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Best acoustic under £1000 ??? (updated price limit)

What's Hot
tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
edited April 2023 in Acoustics
As per the (now updated) title, what's good?

I dont have one at the moment, just a little classical. I fancy something bigger and louder, steel strung. Preferably just acoustic rather than electro-acoustic but I don't suppose that matters.

I prefer strumming to finger picking but wouldn't be averse to learning more technicky acoustical pickerings!

Budget not set but I wouldn't want to go over about £500, second hand suggestions more than welcome too....
Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    The one that you like best that costs least. Not very helpful, but not hard  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 825
    edited March 2023
    Not particularly big, but very impressive sounding with excellent build quality....Used Taylor GS-Mini?
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    I’d recommend the PRS Angelus I have listed for sale - but then I’m a little biased :D 
    You’re more than welcome to try it out
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Just realised this might need to be in acoustics sub forum, thought that was just classifieds but it's not. Oops.

Mods will help in a bit I'm sure 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    edited March 2023
    Click on the Edit Cog/button & select Acoustics from the category options 1 
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Yamaha LL6.

/thread
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 598
    A used Faith, I'd have thought there should be plenty to choose from with £500. I've had 3 (still have 2) and they've all been good.
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 584
    Alvarez are a lot of guitar for the money imo. I paid just over £500 for my dreadnought all solid construction :+1: 
  • Matt4887Matt4887 Frets: 40
    Good deals to be had on some of the Fender Paramount range at the moment.

All solid wood construction and a hard case for less that £500.

I tried one of the orchestra models a few weeks ago and was pretty impressed. Worth checking out. 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    edited March 2023
    There is not straight-forward answer to the question. Are you a chord strummer or a finger picker or a bit of both. I play Electrics mostly and Acoustic is secondary for me but there is lot more variation in acoustics. I think @tannin or @bertie amongst others are predominantly acoustic players, so you should ask them. However, for my 2p worth I think best bang for your buck is an Eastman or a second hand Yamaha. They are as good as Taylors or Martins but much better value although not particularly cheap guitars. I have a Martin, Taylor and Eastman. The made in China Eastman is the better guitar in every way. It doesn't matter and don't be put off that it's made in China. It's handmade and it's well made. They started off making violins I think. They come from a good pedigree. I sure others on here will agree. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rossirossi Frets: 1658
    edited March 2023
    I like my PRS  SE P20 parlor .Its nice and bluesy jazzy,folky  even on light strings .
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 186
    Find a used Furch. Brilliant quality. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1271
    Eastman? Can get all solid for £550
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Yamaha LL6.

/thread
    Had a look over some of these on Peach. Seems like some variations in price but I can't see much difference in spec.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    tony99 said:
    Just realised this might need to be in acoustics sub forum, thought that was just classifieds but it's not. Oops.

Mods will help in a bit I'm sure 
    you can do it yourself  - just edit and change location 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1916
    edited March 2023
    @tony99 this and £100 in your pocket?  

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/243393/fs-taylor-gs-mini-rosewood-400-price-drop

I could include postage at £400 to avoid having to deal with the utter clusterfuck that is eBay! 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited March 2023
    for every recommendation,  there'll be 20 alternatives Im sure..............

SIZE
     if you don't already "know"  first of all Id say find a store or a mate   and try a few different sizes/types  - get an inkling if a dreadnaughts for you or you fancy something smaller or more comfortable to play......................or you want to go all out jumbo

- good you've identified that on-boards are not important.......so they can be discounted from further suggestions.

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 303
    Used Seagull S6 amazing guitars, sounds great, feels great or save a little bit more and get an used Blueridge which are great too.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Yamaha LL6.

/thread
    Never played one even remotely as good as a Martin or Gibson but they can be good value for money.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Reliable brands in the budget range

Eastman - Martin like
    Blueridge - Martiny
    Taylor - not a particular M or G tone but nice
    Recording king - Martiny
    Seagull - they have a sound of their own esp the cedar models

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1322
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    You are in a difficult part of the market @tony99 (and in the wrong section - this is where you post stuff about electric guitars).

Essentially, you have these choices:

(1) Competent but overpriced and deeply uninspiring products made in Mexico by the US majors. You could do worse, but you could do a lot better. 

(2) Guitars of varying quality made in a place which is responsible for far more illegal, unsustainable logging and environmental destruction than any other (China) or in Indonesia which has a record no better. (Just say no.)

(3) Guitars which are both ethically manufactured and of high quality. For the most part, these are well out of budget.

(4) Odd-ball choices like Dowina and Seagull. (These are certainly worth exploring.)

(5) Guitars made in Chinas by companies which nevertheless seem to have decent environmental qualifications (no names here but their initials are Yamaha). I'm not entirely convinced - it is horribly difficult to know where timber came from once it has been milled. But maybe.

(6) Used guitars.

You don't want (1) or (2), and you can't afford (3). I'd start with (6) - there are some fantastic second-hand guitars around at very reasonable prices - and also look at (4) and possibly (5).

• BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    You can pick up a used Yamaha LL/LS/LJ16 ARE within that budget.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    If you like that sort of thing, then Luna is the perfect brand for you. :) https://www.lunaguitars.com/product?id=flomooncust
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1137
    Yamaha, Taylor, Faith would be on my radar, hard to go wrong with any of these. I'd avoid PRS. They're probably the nicest looking and the comfiest to play but also the most generic sounding. Took one in part exchange with an intent to sell on but it later suffered a damage thanks to my 5 year old and would now sell with a huge loss so it's going to stay with me. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    If its of any interest I'm going to be offloading an Alvarez slope shoulder Dread (spruce and rosewood body) soon - solid woods, really nice condition etc and will be less than half the £500 budget. These Alvarez guitars punch wayyyy above their price tag.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    edited March 2023
    SimonC said:
    ^ 100% this.  Apart from a link to a mini guitar in the classifieds, this is the only practical retail suggestion on the thread.

Or if you want a smaller bodied version, here you go:

https://www.peachguitars.com/yamaha-ls6-are-dark-tinted-electro-acoustic-with-hard-bag.htm?opt=39591

Looks, playability and sound for the price are impossible to match with any other guitar IMHO.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    These Yams look superb I must say.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    Reliable brands in the budget range

Eastman - Martin like
    Blueridge - Martiny
    Taylor - not a particular M or G tone but nice
    Recording king - Martiny
    Seagull - they have a sound of their own esp the cedar models

Add Sigma to that list.