Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Reaper DAW - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Reaper DAW

Well my aging Apple NetBook Pro has finally pissed its pants and packed in. It's the graphics that have packed in therefore it's not repairable and will be robbed of useful bits and consigned to the bin. I'm not buying another Apple. Therefore, I need to install onto another laptop. I'd prefer to used one that has openSuse Linux (my preferred OS genrally) which I have on 2 other powerful laptops but I do have an HP windows i7 laptop with Windows 11 on it. Anybody on here run Reaper (or any other DAW for that matter) on Linux or would I be better sticking to a Windows Reaper installation? Any issues with running on openSuse or Linux generally?

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    edited March 2023
    I have reaper running absolutely fine on a Raspberry Pi4    Very impressive. Effortless install.

Go for it.  The reaper forum should have lots of info.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    I have reaper running absolutely fine on a Raspberry Pi4    Very impressive. Effortless install.

Go for it.  The reaper forum should have lots of info.
    Ah. Didn't know they had a reaper forum @Stratavarious. I'll sign up to it anyway now. Incidentally getting hold of a Raspberry Pi4 nowadays is nigh on impossible outside of ebay scalpers trying to sell them. I was after one about 6 months ago for something else and couldn't find anyone with any stock. Ended up getting a NUC. 

Ian

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited March 2023
    Yes, I've been running Reaper on Linux (specifically Ubuntu) for years. The installation is trivial. The tricky part is getting WINE and a VST bridge configured so you can run most of your Windows plugins - even then, it's not that bad if you're familiar with Linux. I've got Addictive Drums, EZ Drummer, Helix Native and even the Nembrini ADA MP-1 plugin with iLok Cloud running (although the Nembrini plugin's GUI is broken, I have to use that one in GUI-less mode).

One thing to note - Nvidia graphics cards with the proprietary drivers seem to cause xrun problems at low latencies in DAWs, so I would advise getting something with an Intel or AMD GPU.
    <space for hire>
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    Not really a fan of Ubuntu because I don't like the way it's headed with the SNAPS repos but sounds like I'm ok running under Linux then. There might be one or two issues under openSuse but can normally get round them. 

Ian