Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Suggestions for an acoustic for around £750 - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Suggestions for an acoustic for around £750

What's Hot
Hi there

I've always played electric guitar but have got to the point where I want an acoustic in my collection.  I am looking at spending around £750 (could be persuaded to spend a little more if it was absolutely warranted), but don't really know where to begin, or what's good/not good.

In terms of what I'm looking for, something easy to play, with longevity, that isn't too big but also isn't too small.  Mid-sized I guess.  Cutaway would be nice, but not essential.  I have no idea about tonewoods, so don't know what to say there.  

In terms of sound preference, I tend to like smooth mids, and don't like harsh treble.  

For reference, I went to guitarguitar in Birmingham a few weeks ago, and played a few acoustics, and the Martin 000CJr-10E really jumped out (£695).  The main thought I had, though, was that I was probably paying for the name and it is likely to be a £500 guitar, but priced at £695 because it's a Martin, so I could probably get a lot more guitar for the same money with a different brand, or an equally good guitar for less money.  I may be wrong though.

So, any guidance would be hugely welcomed!!

Thanks all

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    At the price range under £1000 and over £500 name branding doesn't affect stuff too much. The Martins are decent value (as compared to a new D28/18)and if you played a model you liked that's a safe bet.

The only other 000 I'd recommend is an all solid Recording King but they're only in rosewood back and sides and your description of smooth mids and highs strongly suggests Mahogany or sapele. 

If you want a dreadnought size guitar you will have lots more choice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks for the info, that's really useful.  It's also somewhat reassuring as the Martin is Sapele, so it suggests that my ear isn't all that bad!!

I'm not averse to a dreadnought if it would be the best option...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    To be fair I have one for sale so a bit biased but too far away from Birmingham. Guild OM140 is cutaway mid sized all solid bone nut and saddle pickup soft/hard case around £799 new I think. 
  • ShadowShadow Frets: 58
    Eastman E1OM and E2OM are both worth a try, both for not much over £500. They'll be a similar size to the OOO you tried. I played the E2 in the Birmingham guitarguitar and thought it was a lovely instrument, nice warm sound without being dull. They don't have them in stock in Birmingham at the moment but they'll send them from other branches if you're interested.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    edited March 2023
    You could try something like a Faith Neptune. Various models including cutaways. Faith are often described as having a 'modern' sound as apposed to something like a Martin. They're all solid wood, ebony fretboard I think. They have a reputation for easy playability.

From what I know, they're a bit Marmite. Some people love them, some decidedly don't.

I was quite impressed with the handful I've played but I've never owned one.
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 265
    I found Breedlove acoustics to have a very approachable feel for a mostly-electric player, and lots of options around your price range IIRC. 

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3532
    edited March 2023
    Try everything you can get your paws on, only you will know what you really like. Don’t forget to try the Epiphone inspired by Gibson range, about your budget and getting some good reviews. Also don’t write off something because it’s below your budget, I once went to peach to try some expensive wood and my favourite on the day was a Gibson cheapie with laminate/composite costing around your current budget, although that was some years ago when peach were still in Braintree. 
    Also look at some smaller bodied 12 fret guitars, you lose the widdle ability up the top, but they tend to sound very good because the physics is about right ( general opinion, YMMV).

P.S. near the top of your budget but Furch are classy for the price, not as much as they were 3 years ago but still worth a look.
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 825
    I was in exactly the same boat as you, only played electric, got an urge for an acoustic. Tried a few and decided Parlour size suited my needs best. Initially bought a PRS SE P20 to test the water before trading up to a Taylor GS Mini-e Koa. The PRS was excellent for the money but the Taylor is in a completely different league. As already said, try as many as you can within your budget and buy what feels right for you.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Shadow said:
    Eastman E1OM and E2OM are both worth a try, both for not much over £500. They'll be a similar size to the OOO you tried. I played the E2 in the Birmingham guitarguitar and thought it was a lovely instrument, nice warm sound without being dull. They don't have them in stock in Birmingham at the moment but they'll send them from other branches if you're interested.
    Eastmans are great yeah.
  • Don’t forget Sigma.Worth a test drive.Very good value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    Yamaha L series (16 should be just about doable - Peach has had a reasonably good selection for a while). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    Shadow said:
    Eastmans are great yeah.
    Another +1 for Eastman guitars. The one's mentioned above but if you want something between an OM and a Dreadnought size you might was to have a look at the Eastman Gran Audatorium A222CE which is right on your budget. These are all hand-made guitars and the quality of the woods are great as is the workmanship. A lot cheaper than they ought to be IMO. I can only see them getting more expensive in future. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 112
    Having heard & tried a bunch I'm of the opinion that the sub £1000 martins aren't great. Really muddy-sounding lows to my ears. 

I've got a Epiphone "inspired by" Hummingbird which seems pretty good. Very lively sound. This range all seem a little lighter on the bottom end than their Gibson counterparts but still good.

A lot of the Eastmans I've heard sound good (though I've yet to try one in person). Maybe not the sub £500 examples though.

But my favourite guitars in this range are Simon & Patrick. I bought mine after playing a friend's. Then another friend bought one after playing mine. It's kept it's place while other more expensive models have come & gone.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Whitecat said:
    Yamaha L series (16 should be just about doable - Peach has had a reasonably good selection for a while). 
    LL6 is in budget and it's awesome.  They also do the same model in smaller bodies if that's required.  

https://www.peachguitars.com/yamaha-ll6-are-brown-sunburst-electro-acoustic-with-hard-bag.htm?opt=39584&gclid=CjwKCAjw_YShBhAiEiwAMomsEAAf8gTecH8D92fJi8kipb4YgkgaTwKJqlq6knso9XYRmSGFyGyT2hoCe-8QAvD_BwE
  • GramPGramP Frets: 2
     Budget Martins trade on the Name they sound very little like the Martin sound in your head....... Epiphone Inspired by Gibsons are tremendous value  (  Iwould buy one in a heartbeat if was looking) and if you get on with it  the Faith can be stuning
  • Wow, so many brilliant suggestions.  Thanks for all the help!
  • GemsdalsGemsdals Frets: 83
    I'd recommend anything from the Cort Gold range. I've settled on an OM size and a GA size but I've had the Dreadnaught and the mini and all were unbelievable quality for the money. 
  • woodywoody Frets: 72
    There is an eastman ac522 in dundee on gumtree for £600..Not much will beat that for the money id say..No connection to seller.
  • I will agree with some of the others, in that price bracket, try an Eastman. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    edited March 2023
    Dowina and Furch are worth a try if you can push your budget slightly. Faiths are pretty good if you can't. (Just to clarify, that's in addition to everything else that's been suggested! Not "Ignore everything else that's been suggested"  =) )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 290
    So many options, especially if you're happy to consider pre-owned. As a fan of the Martin sound, I must confess to having been a bit underwhelmed by their cheaper offerings. Faith are great for the price, as are some of the Martin-inspired Sigmas. Several of the Eastman, Yamaha, Guild, Larrivee and Auden models I've tried have all punched above their weight, Auden particularly. If you can find a second hand Furch, that'll be worth a try too.

Obviously, it's best to try as many as possible, in different wood combinations, if you can. In my experience, you'll get a better guitar for the money if you're happy to rule out brands like Martin and Taylor. They make wonderful guitars, but not necessarily at lower price points. As others have said, don't rule out models under your maximum budget. I played a wonderful Sigma in a local guitar shop once. It was about £400 and easily rivalled models twice that price and more. It may have been an exceptional one, but they clearly exist. 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    edited March 2023
    Yamaha pretty much a must try at your price range imho. I am a big fan! The FS range is their OM sized acoustic which might be size your looking for. (OM's generally fit the 'not too big or small' criterion you mentioned). Here's 'best' FS and mahogany models for what you said about cost. FS5 a bit outside your price range? Lovely guitar.

Yamaha FS3 Red Label Acoustic Guitar (yamahamusiclondon.com)
    Yamaha FS850 Acoustic in Natural | PMT Online

Would agree with @richman6100 comment about low end Martin's. Had a OOOX1 in former years and ended up giving it away. Not tried recent ones though but they're competing in the modern highly competitive and high quality market at that price range. Same not true of Martin's top end but, as you've noted, they're premium price compared with other makes and guitars of comparable yumminess. 
  • SmellyfingersSmellyfingers Frets: 842
    edited March 2023
    I recently bought a lightly used Furch in this price range. I don’t know if it was the solid woods or the make, but it made all the other similarly priced brand new guitars in the shop sound like crap including the Martin, the PRS and the Eastman.

Therefore I instruct you that you MUST buy a second Furch, nothing else will do.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    edited March 2023
    I have a Yamaha LL16 ARE and it's awesome! It's also massive, however (noticably bigger than my Martin D-16GT). So if you don't want something "too big" the LS16 might be a better fit. Peach knock them out at £729 which is ridiculous value. If you need a cutaway and can stretch the budget a bit look at the AC3R.
  • thanks so much for all the advice and guidance.  i think a day of pottering around guitar shops playing lots of guitars is in order.  Pray for me!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm about to list 2. Both recent Epiphone Inspired by Gibson all solid woods. Very impressive guitars but I'm taking a little time out to sort my health so the bills need to be paid. Guitars are the Hummingbird and the J-200. Drop me a pm if you want first dibs.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CharlieShawCharlieShaw Frets: 347
    Eastman or Dowina