Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Mandolins. Worth buying one? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Mandolins. Worth buying one?

What's Hot
Is it worth buying a cheap Mandolin and learning a few chords as I love the sound? Are they easy to learn and do guitar chord shapes lend themselves to a Mandolin?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    It depends how the open strings are tuned, and I've no idea.

The chord shapes could be quite different. Try to find one locally to send what you think. 

:) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Mandolins are tuned GDAE like a violin. So whilst mandolin purists will hate me the chords are the same but upside down. But that won’t always put the root note on the lowest string.

Even more than a guitar a mandolin needs a good setup to make it playable. As a rule of thumb you need to spend twice as much as you would on a guitar to get something of the same quality; so a £100 mandolin will be as “good” as a £50 guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've had low end mandolins before and they're great fun and very easy to get around on.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    Cheap mandolins are generally shite IME @drofluf Is right , great instrument to play, and not that hard to get going on if you are decent on guitar
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny little fretboards. Eeeech!

I like the sound too but the easiest and best way to get a mandolin sound is to hire a mandolin player. :)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    If you’ve got a Hobgoblin nearby they usually have some in stock. Have a look at Ashbury their house brand, I’ve always been impressed by their mandolin family that I’ve tried. 

I should confess that I gave up on the mandolin a couple of years ago. I didn’t have time for both that and a guitar and was making more progress on guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Experimenting with stringed instruments can be a slippery slope. Getting a mandolin is a fairly benign activity but it can easily lead to browsing for a banjo.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    It's pretty easy to get to the stage where you can add a few nice plinky chords as overdubs to fill out a track. Full-on bluegrass soloing might take longer.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    you'll have masses more street creed than if you bough a fucking uke...................which you'd have less than someone wearing croc's
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    Kilgore said:
    Experimenting with stringed instruments can be a slippery slope. Getting a mandolin is a fairly benign activity but it can easily lead to browsing for a banjo.
    I've browsed a few banjos in my time. Let me tell you!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    The problem with cheap mandolins is that there’s far more difference in tone between a cheap one and an expensive one than with guitars, even acoustics. If you buy anything under a couple of grand and expect it to sound like Battle Of Evermore or Losing My Religion you will be disappointed…

Which isn’t to say they aren’t fun to play.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited March 2023
    Yep, as @ICBM said, there's likely to be a big tonal differnce between inexpensive and even intermediate, let alone high end. 

There is banjo-wise. Try a Deering Goodtime entry level. It's perfectly playable but tone-wise, against an Ome North Star, you'll soon see what I mean. 

Saying that, you can have a lot of fun with entry level. We've all been there. 

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Comments here are interesting, but so far are missing the elements of non mass construction variability & random chance or luck.
    Took a punt on my first mandolin a Samick SM-30, 15 years ago. It was about £50 on eBay & was a very reasonable sounding instrument.
    I later gave it to my Dad (he still has it) after I bought the mandolin that I currently have, about 12 years ago.
    Photos below.
    It looks like it was designed as a comedy stage prop by a drag queen for maximum tacky effect, but sounds sweet & lovely. It cost me £105 inc. a hard case.

As tone is my main priority in an instrument, I can overlook the visuals.
     * Still haven't managed this with a flame top PRS with bird inlays yet though... :lol: 
    It was apparently handmade in Singapore, according to the previous owner who worked a musician on cruise ships & seems to be solid woods, underneath the masses of inlaid shell & abalone.
    It is a very nice mandolin. I had no real means of comparison until a few years ago when I found out there was a mandolin player in the university music department where I used to work. So I took mine in for an evaluation & opinion.
    He had a gorgeous 1940's Gibson F-type & when he saw mine he laughed & was rather flippant, rude & disdainful.
     I knew he was an arrogant twat already, but he did know his stuff so I didn't immediately deck him...
     Taking it out he played it for a while, fiddling with the tuning, adjusting the bridge & frowning a lot. 
    Eventually I was handed it back with a very grudging comment that it was ' quite good, a lot better than I had expected".
    When he asked how much I'd paid for it, his face became a lovely contorted picture of avarice & disbelief :D
    Anyway, my convoluted point, is that it is possible to find great sounding instruments for well below the sums that have been mentioned here. £'s do not always make the difference, although if you want quality & consistency, it is definitely a big factor.
     It easily manages The Battle of Evermore, Losing my Religion & even Copperhead Road ;)  but my increasingly arthritic hands don't anymore  :s
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I have an old £100 Vintage one that I'm in the process of fixing up. It doesn't sound bad to me but I haven't played anything better. The biggest action on mine is an action you could drive a bus under. I need to file a big chunk off the bottom of the bridge and that's a pain. It is quite fun in short bursts though.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 135
    I had a crafter mini guitar shape one. With a bit of eq manipulating the live sound was fantastic. 

Wasn’t the easiest thing to play but it did a pretty convincing layer on top of the guitar. 

I very much saw it as an upside down chord guitar. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Unfortunately I put them in with banjos and bagpipes :( 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    sev112 said:
    Unfortunately I put them in with banjos and bagpipes :( 
    Bad idea. If they interbred, the potential chimaera could be the end of music as we know it...
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 93
    edited March 2023
    Vintage, Crafter, Ozark (many more).

Get thee to a luthier, get a good setup and a K&K Twin Spot (+ Orchid DI).

Every dog’s a*** plays guitar these days, no glory skulking in the herd.

Losing My Religion will sound fine on the cheapest (well set up) mandolin. If it doesn’t sound like a Gibson - nobody will care. Mine cost £40 in a charity shop. It’s about 50yrs old, looks basic, sounds great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    edited March 2023
    I've never had a problem switching between guitar and mandolin. I played one for years, gigged it weekly, sold it when the band finished, and will never go back!!
    I'd possibly look into an octave mandolin, mandola or a tenor guitar. I just find the mandolin really shrill sounding.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    I had a mandolin hanging on the wall gathering dust for years, mainly because the neck was too narrow for my fingers.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    bluecat said:
    I had a mandolin hanging on the wall gathering dust for years, mainly because the neck was too narrow for my fingers.
    Is the narrow neck a constant with mandolins? I expect it is?
    Brother you ain't seen narrow till you try a mandolin!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • malcolmkindnessmalcolmkindness Frets: 151
    edited April 2023
    bluecat said:
    Is the narrow neck a constant with mandolins? I expect it is?
    Pretty much standard yes, unless you go custom. I have a custom mandolin with a 35mm nut and I find it a great improvement.
    Also, as others have said, a cheap mandolin will not be as good as a cheap guitar.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    If it's tuned GDAE why can't you just string it upside down and use guitar chords on it?

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

^ Cause then it wouldn't sound like a mandolin. 

Seriously. This sort of short cut doesn't work. This is why those guitar-banjo hybrid things suck. There are tones and note combinations which fall to hand as the "natural sound" of any instrument and if you go screwing around setting up a piano to be played like a saxophone or a saxophone to be played like a piano you mostly end up with something that sounds dreadful.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    I had a Fender one, discontinued now I think. I have played cheap ones off the shelves and the nut width varied. A wider nut is more comfy. Tanglewood did one a few years ago with a nice wide nut (for a mandolin).
    A Mandolin sound is a thing of beauty but in this day and age of technological advancement I would imagine some gadget,gizmo or pedal/amp setting could satisfactorily replicate the sound? Does a bazouki sound similar,even?
    edited April 2023
    Does a fish taste like turnip?

Tannin said:
    If you are drunk enough,I suppose.
    Tannin said:

Anybody else want to get up and dance while shattering crockery?