Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). How to nail this tasty chord voicing? - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

How to nail this tasty chord voicing?

What's Hot
CleckoClecko Frets: 265
Lovely execution of this 'basic' chord progression in the first half minute here. I'm struggling to nail the loose, funky way he plays the B chord at 10s (repeated approx 19s). Can anyone point me in the direction of something to help me break that down and get it under my fingers?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752

It's a B minor but he's just using his thumb for the B bass note first then hitting the rest of the Bm while hammering on from D to E then back  off to D and landing on the B note of the D string. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 265
    Danny1969 said:

It's a B minor but he's just using his thumb for the B bass note first then hitting the rest of the Bm while hammering on from D to E then back  off to D and landing on the B note of the D string. 
    Thanks man!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @Danny1969 - can you work the same magic for me in terms of what's happening on the embellishment of the second A major? It's at roughly 16/17 seconds. I've got all the rest of this but can't quite figure out the high nots on that part and it's driving me crazy. 
    Its double stops  played on the G and E string ..miss out the b string

C#.  B.  A (this not not really  hit ) 
    E.    D.  C#

Play both notes together using pick and finger. Slide into the notes from 7th fret to 9th then back 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    ^ Would you barre the top 3 strings with your first finger while plucking just the 1st and 3rd strings, or would you use your middle and ring fingers, D69?

Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • viz said:
    ^ Would you barre the top 3 strings with your first finger while plucking just the 1st and 3rd strings, or would you use your middle and ring fingers, D69?
    x54455 ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    viz said:

This is a massive part of my guitar playing when left to my own devices. I use the 2nd finger on the G string and either 1st or 3rd on the high E depending on context (if same fret it's 3rd finger, if a lower fret it's first).

This should have audio if I've done it right: 

https://youtu.be/SzFEuns2i6A

*I had to pick up a guitar to work this out as I honestly had no clue what I did myself. I use the same thing for ascending/descending runs on the D & B strings as well.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    viz said:
    x54455 ;)
    I bloody enjoyed that!
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Danny1969 said:
    Its double stops  played on the G and E string ..miss out the b string

C#.  B.  A (this not not really  hit ) 
    E.    D.  C#

Play both notes together using pick and finger. Slide into the notes from 7th fret to 9th then back 

I was trying everything I could imagine and just had not clocked that it's notes on the G and e. Thanks so much, I really appreciate that. 
    viz said:

I would use my 2nd and ring finger Viz, using the pick and the 2nd finger at the same time.

@Clecko this is country derived doubled stops ... often called 6ths because the position puts the notes a 6th apart ... A and the sixth in the key of A which is F# for example. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter