Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Helix HXFX with no pre-amp? - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Helix HXFX with no pre-amp?

What's Hot
smigeonsmigeon Frets: 276
edited March 2023 in Digital & Modelling

I know the HXFX has no amp modelling - but was wondering if anyone has had success running one of its distortions/drives straight into a power amp without an intervening pre-amp? I'm not interested in esoteric pre-amp distortion sounds - I just want a satisfying clean-to-breakup type sound. I've tried running the HXFX RAT on very low gain settings straight into a class D power amp/speaker, and this seems to sound pretty OK at home volumes with a bit of appropriate EQ. But I'd be interested if anyone has experience of doing this sort of thing at gig level....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I do this sometimes with my HXFX. Low gain OD straight into power amp of my Marshall Valvestate. But I also add an EQ on the chain after the OD just to add flavour, like a real preamp does. Sounds great as a base sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    One would imagine it’s do able , especially clean  remembering how lots of big players often would plug straight into a desk . I know you’re not interested in a pre amp but the joyo American provides various fender tones and has a cab sim built in & is super cheap & highly thought of . It would be ideal & has a small footprint & can be powered by a 9v battery or dc
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2426
    A bit different but may give you and idea. We do weekly live streams on our Facebook and YouTube pages. Last week I did one on using a preamp and hxfx to go direct. There was a bit in there where I use just regular pedals. Might be worth a look even though it’s about going direct. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 276
    edited March 2023
    Thanks all - nice to hear that it may not a totally crazy thing to expect results from! I'll have a look at that video, @rossyamaha .

@hollywoodrox - I do already have a Joyo American actually and like it a lot. It's just that I'm aiming here for a really cut-down and simple set up.

I'll play a bit more and see how good I can get it. Then I'll take it to a band practice and see how it goes there.

In the meantime, anyone else have any experience or thoughts on this?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 641
    edited March 2023
    I might have a mess with this too. There is a full preamp for heavier tones called the Legacy drive I think - really flexible. I'd be messing with a compressor and a Temmah! Or EP Boost to try and get a decent clean tone I think.

I'm sure it got mentioned at some point, but having the option of JUST a Fender Twin helix model and appropriate IR (which the HX can already do) to go direct with would be really cool, even as a back up. I don't think it would harvest sales of Stomps/Stomp XLs, but I don't have the data to back that up.

@Rossyamaha I'm going to check out your stream thanks for the heads up!

Edit: possibly even have the L6 'clean' model from their new amps rather than including a classic like a Fender to properly differentiate between this and a 'proper' helix amp modeller.
  • Technically you could just have the built in Graphic EQ in the chain as your preamp. Adjust the EQ to your taste and plug straight to poweramp. You'd get a good clean sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 276
    Technically you could just have the built in Graphic EQ in the chain as your preamp. Adjust the EQ to your taste and plug straight to poweramp. You'd get a good clean sound. 
    That's an excellent point!