Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Challenge: the opposite of a 251 - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Challenge: the opposite of a 251

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10211
edited March 2023 in Theory
Hello all,

I’m compiling a list of songs that have stacked plagal cadences, not perfect cadences. So instead of back-cycling round the C of 5, I’m looking for examples of forward-cycling. 

Examples of 741s would be great (like Sweet Home Alabama which has D C G D ), but also some long strings would be awesome, like the 63741 of Hey Joe (CGDAE) and Timewarp (FCGDA). 

Anyone?
Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    Pop Muzik by M is 741 all the way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The riff /main chord sequence to ‘I  can’t explain’ by the who . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    How about 747 (Saxon) and 54321 by Manfred Mann
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EvoEvo Frets: 292
    edited March 2023
    Sweet Home Alabama only has a 741 if you consider D the root note though...and even then I don't think there's ever a time where the progression starts on the C. So it'd be a 1, b7, 4. 

A lot of the progressions you're going to find would fall into the modal category and be infinitely debatable about the "correct" way to describe them from a theoretical standpoint.

Let's take Fleetwood Mac's "Don't Stop" as an example here.

E, D, A, A

Most would look at those chords and instantly assume a 5, 4, 1 in the key of A. 

After all, chords 1, 4, and 5 are probably the most recognisable to any guitarist as a 12 bar blues (or "three-chord-trick") and the two bars on A at the end definitely help hammer that home as the root note. 

However, the pre-chorus introduces a B7 chord. 

This gives us extra information we weren't aware of before.

A B7 chord points us towards E being the root note as a dominant 7 chord like B7 is usually found on the 5 chord of whichever key you're in. Not exclusively, but certainly most often. 

This means that our 5, 4, 1 in the verses would actually be a 1, b7, 4 (just like Sweet Home Alabama)

So here's where the debating comes in....

Is it more likely that the verses are really just a much more common progression...the 5, 4, 1

and the B7 in the pre chorus is just creating tension before hitting the E again for the beginning of the chorus?

OR

Is the whole song really a much more unusual approach, taking a common progression and coming at it from a totally new angle (i.e. a new key) and the verses really are intended as a 1, b7, 4 designed to lull you into a false sense of key until the pre chorus hits you with the surprise reveal that we were in E all along.

For what it's worth, I think the second one in this example. The entire intro to the tune is E, and Lindsay Buckingham chooses to take his solo in E rather than A, so there are plenty of other pointers towards E in the rest of the song.

But the whole thing is definitely debatable, and a case could even be made that the verses could be seen as a key change to A with the B7 in the pre chorus serving to help modulate to E....despite the verse and chorus being exactly the same chords!

And this classic of course:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I'm wondering if it's possible to construct a chord sequence that fits the bill and contains both major and minor chords. Can say IV-i be described as a plagal cadence? I think all the 63741 examples posted so far use only major chords and they all work in pretty much the same way -- the song sits on the tonic for a while, jumps to the flat 6 chord and quickly works its way back to the tonic. Unless you can use minor chords or sometimes move by a tritone rather than a straight fourth, it's going to be hard to produce anything very sophisticated I've have thought.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Nice one guys, thanks. Stuckfast those are excellent - cheers!

and yep Evo, I was being tongue in cheek about SHA. (Though it is in D and is 174(1) all the way, of course!)
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Stuckfast said:
    I'm wondering if it's possible to construct a chord sequence that fits the bill and contains both major and minor chords. Can say IV-i be described as a plagal cadence? I think all the 63741 examples posted so far use only major chords and they all work in pretty much the same way -- the song sits on the tonic for a while, jumps to the flat 6 chord and quickly works its way back to the tonic. Unless you can use minor chords or sometimes move by a tritone rather than a straight fourth, it's going to be hard to produce anything very sophisticated I've have thought.

Oh and yeah, a IV-i is a Dorian Plagal cadence. Like the D-Am at the end of the 2nd line of Scarborough Fair.