Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Daily exercises - any recommendations ? - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Daily exercises - any recommendations ?

What's Hot
Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086

2023 is the year of playing guitar for me, rather than making albums.

I'd like to spend half an hour a day (at least) playing a few exercises to improve dexterity instead of random noodling, which is my usual way of spending time on guitar.

I've got some gigs to play with a friend's band so I'll be working on the songs for that and I have a few chrod progressions I like to use to keep my hand in with chord shapes, so it's scales and arpeggios I suppose but I'm open to suggestions.
"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I personally think playing with musicality is more important so I'd pick songs that challenge you.

Also play them with a drum machine and record yourself so you can listen back.
    Phrasing dynamics and timing are where most people fall down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 822
    Depending on your dexterity the spider exercise was the one that gave me the biggest improvement in technique. 

On the 6th string play frets:
    1,2,3,4 and keep all fingers down. 

Then do the same on 5th string but only move 1 finger at a time. 

So you're fretting 1,2,3,4 on 6th. Keep all fingers down and just move your index finger. 
    Then move 2nd finger etc. 

Cover all strings to 1st, move up 1 fret then come back down the strings in the same way. 
    Move up a fret and repeat until you've covered the whole neck. 

When I first started I literally couldn't move my 3rd finger, I picked it up and moved it with my right hand until i trained it how to move on its own. Took a week or so before I started to get movement. 

I often use it as a warm up before gigs too. 

It's the one exercise that I swear by that gave me independent finger movement better than anything else. 

Does that make sense? If not I can record  quick vid of me doing it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    Yes , picking bits of solos or songs you can’t play & working them up to speed from slow is invaluable 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Go for the one where you play, on a single string:

Then move to the 5 other variations:

and finally, the upside down version of the first one:

Then try doing them across the strings:

Low E string: 1234
    A string: 2341
    D string: 3412
    etc. when you get to the top, move up a semitone and come down:

top E: 3413
    B string: 4132
    Etc. 

Then, using one string, slide up a semitone each set of four notes:

5678 etc. 

And down again. 

That’ll keep you busy for 100 years. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BradBrad Frets: 590
    As mentioned above, chromatic ‘spider’ exercises always a good starting point. 

However, interval studies are truly humbling and fantastic for developing technique and aural connection to the instrument. Take any shape of the major scale and explore 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths and 7ths over the entirety of the shape in the following ways;

All ascending
    All descending
    Alternating ascending/descending
    Alternating descending/ascending

These will massively improve your control in both hands. And as @monquixote said, pay attention to how to things are sounding as you’re playing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markvmarkv Frets: 449
    I found David Mead's book "10 minute guitar workout" pretty helpful for this. The second half of the book is sets of 5 exercises at different levels that you progress through (the first half of the book is essentially an introduction to guitar for beginners and a bit out of place imo)
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    edited March 2023
    Do Viz's workout but on a bass.  Then when you pick up a guitar it will seem tiny and feel amazing to play
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 387
    One I use most days starting from day low G, play up  Gmaj7 arp then go up a note in the scale, in this case a G then play down the diatonic arp which would be a min 7, then up b min7 down C maj 7 etc until you get to the high e string. Then change to C Maj as the parent scale and come down the in the same fashion.  
    You can continue changing key and complete 3 cycles of 5th as you slowly ascend the fretboard. It’s good for dexterity, ear and for general fb knowledge 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Do Viz's workout but on a bass.  Rhythm when you pick up a guitar it will seem tiny and feel amazing to play
    Practicing the bass really does force you to economise your left hand. It also helped me more easily adapt to different guitar necks, I will play pretty much anything now

I usually do some bending and vibrato exercises when I pick the guitar up. Worth spending a minute or two on that imo
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    I would just practice the crap out of the songs you're going to be playing in the band. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    I would just practice the crap out of the songs you're going to be playing in the band. 
    Absolutely  & new ones 

also working with that solo app on intervals that Tom Quail & David Bebe have produced seems a worthwhile task
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086

This is the only one that really needs practicing as far as technique is concerned (I'm trying to get it back up to speed and use a plectrum the whole time)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 724
    Listen to some Bach, with a nice cuppa tea. :)
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • markv said:
    I found David Mead's book "10 minute guitar workout" pretty helpful for this. The second half of the book is sets of 5 exercises at different levels that you progress through (the first half of the book is essentially an introduction to guitar for beginners and a bit out of place imo)

I enjoyed using his app for a bit

• BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    edited March 2023
    That Ashton Kutcher doppelganger who demos all the acoustics put me onto this one called "inside out ".

Strictly D U D U alternate picking. Fingering is 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4

e------6-----8---5-----7----
    B---5----7----------6------8
    G-------------------------------
    D--------------------------------
    A--------------------------------
    E--------------------------------

It's deceptively tricky. The first 4 notes are outside picking and the second 4 are inside. Work with a metronome. Focus on accuracy. As you get better you can move it up and down the neck and across the strings. You can also do it on non-adjacent strings to work on string skipping.