Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Acoustic - set max volume on guitar ? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Acoustic - set max volume on guitar ?

What's Hot
sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
I am sure when I played electric I was told to max the volume on the guitar for “best tone” / signal and deal with room volume at the amp/PA

seemed logical, I got better sounds I think.

does the same apply to acoustics with pickup/preamp ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    sev112 said:

does the same apply to acoustics with pickup/preamp ?
    No, because they're active and the pickup is therefore buffered. The reason it makes a big difference with a passive electric guitar is because it changes the interaction between the pickup, the pots and the tone caps.

That said, most sound engineers would prefer you to set your volume up full and your EQ flat - or at worst, not touch it once set - since that gives them the most control over the sound without the player altering it. In particular, turning the volume or bass up further can cause feedback, so best avoided.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    If you are plugging into an analog system, then the input gain won't need to be so high on the desk.  That might help reduce noise.

As ICBM said, the big thing is not changing your volume, as that will mess the sound engineer up.  Leaving it on full is the simple way to do that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GramPGramP Frets: 2
       vol up all the way on the guitar use the desk to adjust for EQ and feedback if  any
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Next Q then :  if the difference between gain and volume is that gain sets inout level and volume sets output level of an amp, does that mean that the volume knob on a guitar is a gain knob ?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    sev112 said:
    Next Q then :  if the difference between gain and volume is that gain sets inout level and volume sets output level of an amp, does that mean that the volume knob on a guitar is a gain knob ?
    Yes.

Actually they're *all* gain knobs, it's just that ones which affect the final volume more than the initial gain tend to be called volumes.

But bear in mind that with a completely clean amp, the volume knob on the guitar does control the volume and not what guitarists would call the 'gain' (ie distortion).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter