Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). DI box advantages? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

DI box advantages?

What's Hot
If your acoustic guitar has an active pickup system installed, is there any benefit in using a basic DI box before going into the PA? Thanks,
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 213
    The only advantage is if you have a long able run. Balanced is more resistant to interference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    If your acoustic guitar has an active pickup system installed, is there any benefit in using a basic DI box before going into the PA? Thanks,
    Yes - lower noise, and you can use a longer cable run without any tone loss. You may also have more control over the level if the box has a pad switch, which can be useful.

Also - and this is meant seriously - a sound engineer will see you as a professional who knows what they’re doing, rather than an amateur who turns up with just a guitar and says “where do I plug this in?”, although many will prefer to use their own DI box rather than yours.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Technically some acoustic guitars have a proper balanced differential output, I just made a cable for a guy that has one such guitar. Most are just the output of an opamp though so low Z but will get noisy over more than a few metres. 

It's not quite the issue it used to be as the actual preamps of the desk tends to be on the stage these days and connected to FOH out front via CAT5 digital. So your audio signal isn't going down 30 metres of multicore cable like it used to before it hit the pre amp of the desk. 

A DI box is the best option and the simplest transformer ones are best for most applications as they they don't require any power and don't add any noise. Plus they sweeten up the output of modellers 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Danny1969 said:

A DI box is the best option and the simplest transformer ones are best for most applications as they they don't require any power and don't add any noise. Plus they sweeten up the output of modellers
    This. I prefer passive transformer boxes for electric guitar and bass DI'ing from an amp, pedalboard or multi-FX, even if not modellers - they just sound better, to me.

But I think active ones sound better with acoustic instruments, and are essential if the source doesn't have a low output impedance.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 353
    Some DI boxes have bells and whistles like the LRBaggs Para DI. EQ, phase, ground lift etc. Great little tool to have.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    ICBM said:
    Danny1969 said:

This. I prefer passive transformer boxes for electric guitar and bass DI'ing from an amp, pedalboard or multi-FX, even if not modellers - they just sound better, to me.

But I think active ones sound better with acoustic instruments, and are essential if the source doesn't have a low output impedance.
    Thanks, what do you mean by the source?

Guitar, amp, or whatever is plugged into the box. An amp, pedal or a preamped acoustic guitar will *usually* have a low enough impedance - although not guaranteed - but a passive instrument of any kind won’t.

• ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 733
    I use a cheapo Donner Special I passive DI box for my acoustic which has an LR Baggs Element. It works really well, although some sound men ask me to use their much more expensive DI boxes, which is fine.
    ICBM said:

Guitar, amp, or whatever is plugged into the box. An amp, pedal or a preamped acoustic guitar will *usually* have a low enough impedance - although not guaranteed - but a passive instrument of any kind won’t.
    Thanks. The pickups in my main two acoustics are a LR Baggs Element and a Fishman Blend, no idea about their impedance though. Cheers. 

The pickups in my main two acoustics are a LR Baggs Element and a Fishman Blend, no idea about their impedance though.
    Both of those are modern active systems with low impedance outputs, so fine plugged into more or less anything.

The only active systems which are likely to have any issues are older ones like the original single-knob Ovation preamps.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ICBM said:

The pickups in my main two acoustics are a LR Baggs Element and a Fishman Blend, no idea about their impedance though.
    Both of those are modern active systems with low impedance outputs, so fine plugged into more or less anything.

The only active systems which are likely to have any issues are older ones like the original single-knob Ovation preamps.
    Many thanks again.  Sorry to go on but… I’ve just remembered that another of my acoustics has a Headway Snake 3 AG, do you know if that is low impedance and ok plugged straight into a PA? Or are they all better if going through a DI box first? Cheers.
    fretfinder said:

Sorry to go on but… I’ve just remembered that another of my acoustics has a Headway Snake 3 AG, do you know if that is low impedance and ok plugged straight into a PA? Or are they all better if going through a DI box first?
    I'm pretty sure the Headway will be fine - anything made in the last thirty years will be really. It's pretty much always better to go through a decent DI box though - the only question is whether active or passive. If in doubt, use active.

ICBM said:
    fretfinder said:

Sorry to go on but… I’ve just remembered that another of my acoustics has a Headway Snake 3 AG, do you know if that is low impedance and ok plugged straight into a PA? Or are they all better if going through a DI box first?
    I'm pretty sure the Headway will be fine - anything made in the last thirty years will be really. It's pretty much always better to go through a decent DI box though - the only question is whether active or passive. If in doubt, use active.
    Many thanks again.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    If you are going to use a tuner then get a Peterson tuner that has a DI out.
    Saves having two boxes to bring.
  • Some external preamps (i.e., Yamaha AG Stomp, Mooer Radar) which wouldn’t normally be considered DI boxes have a balanced output on TRS jack which can be connected to a regular mic lead (and so to PA) with a short TRS-XLRm adaptor cable.

Best be aware of any Phantom Power issues beforehand. 
    octatonic said:
    If you are going to use a tuner then get a Peterson tuner that has a DI out.
    Saves having two boxes to bring.
    Interesting, thanks, is the DI active and is it any good for using with acoustics do you know?