Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Pyramid back guitars - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Pyramid back guitars

What's Hot
StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
Saw this on eBay and I must admit I'm intrigued. What difference does the back make to the playability and/or sound?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    I'd imagine it won't be as comfortable to play as a conventional guitar, but that may depend on your physique. I can't see it working well with my fuel tank for a sex machine beer gut.

Soundwise I'd guess it would be approaching a bowl back or one of those Ovation acoustics perhaps. But as with acoustics there's more to it than that and it will depend on how the complete guitar has been designed/built
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited March 2023
    my guess is a "luthiers" attempt at copying the "ovation" bowl back using wood.

my other guess is,  having never seen anything else like it,  it failed  - and it they all looked like that,  good job
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    drofluf said:
    ISoundwise I'd guess it would be approaching a bowl back or one of those Ovation acoustics perhaps. 
    Nope. It will be better than that. 

Then again, what isn't better than an Ovation?

(As a matter of detail, a year or two ago I was looking for a 12-string and thought "Ovations used to be really, really awful, but that was 30 years ago, perhaps they have improved". So I tried one. They have not improved.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    bertie said:

my other guess is,  having never seen anything else like it,  it failed  - and it they all looked like that,  good job
    Well it seems that most or all of this particular luthier's guitars had the pyramid back, so he must have thought it a good thing. The bridge is interesting and unusual, too. 
    Stuckfast said:
    bertie said:

Well it seems that most or all of this particular luthier's guitars had the pyramid back, so he must have thought it a good thing. The bridge is interesting and unusual, too. 
    he's still in The Priory  I heard
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Looks like Glastonbury Tor.
    Kilgore said:
    Looks like Glastonbury Tor.
    looks like one of those open cast coal mines "in reverse"
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1430
    The bridge looks rather like the Alvarez Yairi.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    I have not seen or heard of anything like this before. Thanks for posting it.
    It could easily be an idea that had no future, the product of an unhinged mind or an amazing unique innovation in the conservative world of acoustic guitar making.
    I genuinely don't know which it is...
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Not for me.

Just don't like that at all. Sorry. 

:) 
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    Looks like he bought a router and recycled a G-Plan sideboard. Could you live with that headstock?  :o

I think there are better options out there for that money. Not for me thanks.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited March 2023
    That's how a lot of luthiers start making a carved archtop and back for a jazz guitar.  They start with a thick slab of wood, mark it like a mountain or hill on an ordnance survey map, carve it into tiers, and then blend the tiers to form a smooth dome.  They do the reverse for the concave inside.  I wonder if that's how he happened on this shape as a finished design?
  • ChoivertChoivert Frets: 45
    Some of the older Guild D25s had laminate rounded back. Nowhere near the ovation style but a back and sides where the back is notably round. Apparently they project very well. However, they were heavy as anything. Mathematically you can see the argument behind a parabolic shaped back that *might* focus the vibrations towards the sound hole. But I cant see any good argument for a pyramid back. 

I think the weight of that thing alone would put me off. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    It's a bit like an old jelly mould though, isn't it, so maybe it adds a nice natural quivering tremolo affect.
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    I can't see any pics so I can't comment.
    Am I missing something?or do I need to go to the website?
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @bluecat ; click on the OP's second word in his post that opened the thread "this". You should then see the pics, just swipe sideways through them.

:) 
    Thanks Mellish.
    A most unusual guitar , depending on how it plays and sounds,it might be worth having in a collection .
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    Yes, it could always stand in as an emergency wok... =)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    Soupman said:
    Yes, it could always stand in as an emergency wok... =)

Yu Sung.