Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). It’s the little things that make me happy - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

It’s the little things that make me happy

thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
edited March 2023 in Acoustics
It’s ten years since I bought my Loar LH-200 and it’s really nicely made for a £200 guitar - the spruce top is nothing special but the back and sides are lush and the mahogany (I think) neck is nicely flamed. It came with a stick-on pickguard which was plain black and made the guitar look really cheap so I took it off after a couple of weeks. It nails that 1930s Gibson vibe but I felt like it was still missing something… Then, last summer I saw Gwenifer Raymond play again with a really nice guitar - which turned out to be a Waterloo (aka Collings).

https://i.imgur.com/QpWoR3T.jpg

Then I realised what my guitar was missing - a firestripe pickguard! I found that JP Guitars of Bristol had a good selection of pickguards and I printed out a couple of their templates. At first I thought the L-00 guard was too big for my guitar, but I was just placing it wrongly… after looking up some photos of some real L-00s I moved it back and it was a nice fit. They had some expensive Tor-Tis and Tortoloid versions but I went for the printed version, which had a bolder pattern (like photos of originals I’d seen, they’re not like tort guards with a random swirly pattern).

https://i.imgur.com/4jyV50S.jpg

It’s a bit more translucent in real life compared to the photo and it’s a big improvement. Very nice.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited March 2023
    @thermionic ; glad you're managing to find the bits you want.
    Yes,i get a few things from JP. 

Just back from a wedding gig. Threw in "Sugar Sugar". Broke a string, first time in years. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 733
    That makes the guitar! I’m biased though as I’ve got a J-35. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 263
    That looks really good. Out of interest how do you stick it to the body? I've often thought about putting a pickguard on my Faith Neptune but not sure if it's an easy job?
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    crikey, never knew they existed,   nearly on me doorstep  to boot......................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    That looks really good. Out of interest how do you stick it to the body? I've often thought about putting a pickguard on my Faith Neptune but not sure if it's an easy job?
    I had the same question, so I rang up my local luthier (nice chap, he fettles all my guitars and is building one for me at the moment) and he said to use that double-sided plastic stuff you can get from any big stationer. 

So I did that. Worked like a charm.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    The material has a 3M self-adhesive backing, just peel off the paper and stick it down. You only have one chance, so after I was happy with where it was supposed to be I marked the edges by sticking little paper labels at three points on the guitar - masking tape would do, but I had these old labels where the glue had almost given up so I knew they wouldn’t damage the finish. The pickguard material is sufficiently stiff that there’s little risk of air bubbles.

https://www.jp-guitars.co.uk/sales/parts_and_spares/pickguards/pickguards.htm

It’s worth printing out a template to check that it fits. The big variable is soundhole radius and I had to trim a couple of mm on one spot on mine. It’s not perfect but it’s close enough.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    That makes the guitar! I’m biased though as I’ve got a J-35. 
    Me too, and I love their pickguards.