Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I love hate my Spark 40 - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I love hate my Spark 40

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
edited March 2023 in Digital & Modelling
It's a clever bit of kit don't get me wrong. Yes some folk find it too dark sounding but I addressed that by filling the bass port. Some people including me wish it originally came with a footswitch but I addressed that with an Airstep SPK.

I want to love it because it offers so much. But it's that bloody app that does my nut in. Why do they make it so temperamental? Completely ruined the experience for me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    edited March 2023
    I’ve run the app on a few varieties of iPhone and not had one problem with it. Maybe there’s hope you can get it to behave?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    The app is a bit shonky but okay on my android phone. Mostly gimmicks imo but it does all the useful stuff you would need

Besides stuffing the bass port I put some full range car speakers in and stuffed the cabinet with teddy bear foam. It's quite absurd that you'd need to do this with something so expensive but never mind, it's done now
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    I found the best way of fixing issues with the Spark Mini

was to sell it to a mate  :) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PALPAL Frets: 465
    I tried both and bought the Spark Mini.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I prefer the THR and the mini, which actually sounds really good.

My 5 year old niece has my Spark 40 now.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    Why is it that if I choose a different amp in the app it only plays clean? For example I was on a metal setting and wanted to change from the Mesa clone to their SwitchAxe but when I did it was clean only and I couldn't get any high gain out of it.
    That happens more often than it should.
    And if I need to check another app on my phone the app closes and I have to reopen it. Every time. Why can't it stay open in the background like every other app? 
  • Been tempted by one of these just out of curiosity, maybe go for the mini?
    edited March 2023
    I think the Mini has the more balanced sound, it's also battery powered (Spark 40 is mains only), so it does the "play anywhere in the house concept" much better.

It also has the same app support, the only thing you lose out on are the knobs at the top really.  
  • Thanks @RaymondLin useful to know  :) 
    Thanks @RaymondLin useful to know  :) 
    It really is mini, about 1/3rd the size.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yeah that is pretty tiny! Might go for it when I get paid this month.
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 103
    I find the 40 sounds ok with humbuckers but a bit weird with single coils unless I fiddle with the EQ.
    I keep saying I will sell it but still haven't got around to it
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited March 2023

It also has the same app support, the only thing you lose out on are the knobs at the top really.  
    which was the real deal breaker for me  -  far too much dependency on fiddling about on a phone app, where all I wanted to do was get on with it and tweak the odd knob (said in Charles Hawtrey voice)
    so stayed with the THR and recharging 8 AAs  every couple of weeks
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    bertie said:

which was the real deal breaker for me  -  far too much dependency on fiddling about on a phone app, where all I wanted to do was get on with it and tweak the odd knob (said in Charles Hawtrey voice)
    One good thing with AA’s is they are easily sourced & replaced at the end of their life I’m not sure about whatever battery cells are in the spark mini . It does seem an intriguing beast though , I was proper tempted  but there seems to be a lot of talk about App shenanigans in the Positive grid forums . The THR does seem a very stable bit of kit . Does it work better with rechargeables I could t remember if it was them or alkaline that resulted in it sounding odd when they are running down 
    bertie said:

I rank them as THR -> Spark Mini -> Spark 40.

Don't have the newer generation THR to compare but very happy with the beige THR10 that i got.

The AA batteries (which I have an abundance of rechargables) means that solves the built-in problem of the Mini too.  If I had to pick one, I'd get the THR, but if you want to play with the app....some people do, then the Mini is better, and some people prefer built in rechargables too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 335
    I’ve had the Mini for a month or so. No probs with the app on iPad. 
    Sound quality I find much better than the THR.
    Not sure why they insist on drenching the presets in so much delay! Easily sorted though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    Can the Spark be used with an external speaker?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    There’s a headphone/line out on them, yes. 
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1271
    I’ve fancied getting one for a while. Need a low powered small amp. How does it sound? Don’t really care about the rest! 
    ^^^ what he said.

Adamski said:
    I’ve fancied getting one for a while. Need a low powered small amp. How does it sound? Don’t really care about the rest! 
    They sound really good. BUT that is really good for a very very small little box. It’s a great little tool to have around for late night noodling and makes a good BT speaker. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    dazzajl said:
    Rocker said:

Is that the full output from the amp or an output that is limited (as it is for headphones)?  Thanks. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    dazzajl said:
    Rocker said:

Is that the full output from the amp or an output that is limited (as it is for headphones)?  Thanks. 
    Fairly sure it is just a headphone level out and can’t be a speaker out. 
  • I found them to be a great little practise took/messing about, but then became a gateway drug for chasing some of the real amp tones on there, which became very costly!