Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). final countdown help - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

final countdown help

What's Hot
i have been learning  Europe  final countdown solo  the part with the fast  arpeggios i think is alternate picking, but i am not sure if its all alternated picked for every note?
the way i am playing for the fast arpeggios  is  notes   B up,  D down,   hammer on F#  pull off D .   and on , is this right or should i be alternate picking all the notes in the arpeggios .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    I just pick the first note in each group. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I think it's displaced groups of four with a single pull-off...

But I can't decide how I prefer to pick it:
    • strict alternate - D U D (pull-off), U D U (pull-off), etc. bit odd due to the start of each group switching between D and U
    • downwards economy - D D U (pull-off), D D U (pull-off), etc. feels like you need to slide with the position shifts
    • upwards economy - U D U (pull-off), U D U (pull-off), etc.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 40
    I think it's displaced groups of four with a single pull-off...

But I can't decide how I prefer to pick it:
    • strict alternate - D U D (pull-off), U D U (pull-off), etc. bit odd due to the start of each group switching between D and U
    • downwards economy - D D U (pull-off), D D U (pull-off), etc. feels like you need to slide with the position shifts
    • upwards economy - U D U (pull-off), U D U (pull-off), etc.

I have better results using upwards economy  , Tried alternate picking all the notes but can't get the speed ,
  • dazzer22 said:
    I have better results using upwards economy  , Tried alternate picking all the notes but can't get the speed ,
    I'm inclined to agree (no pun intended)...weird as 'downwards economy' doesn't require any string escaping.

They all make good exercises though ;)

Next up: YJM's 'Rising Force' solo?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    The first 2 notes are down for me. The picks going in that direction so it just falls onto the next note. It sounds double tracked on the record to me.
    Hybrid picking in a half Knopfler  / half pick works quite well .. in face I can hybrid pick it faster than I can using the pick alone. 

It's good fun whichever way you do it. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • From the man himself, it appears to be alternate picking:

Danny1969 said:
    ...It sounds double tracked on the record to me... 
    Listening to the isolated track it's actually harmonised!

First time I've listened to it that closely ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • If anyone is interested, I just knocked up a full transcription (link is in my sig).
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    Nice ! Look forward to learning that - I love that solo but it’s not anything I’m ever going to play in the wild so I haven’t ever thought about learning it until now
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    digitalkettle said: I can't decide how I prefer to pick it
    Whatever feels and sounds right to you. My first priority would be “what does my version of the song need?”. If you really can’t decide then the second would be “is this an opportunity to learn a different way of playing these hammers and pull-offs?”
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • When you break it down, it's basically 5 repetitions into 4 beats of the bar...   but never when I do it.. I find it tricky to avoid playing 4 into 4..  it's still flashy and Joe Public couldn't care less...

Poly-rhythms are my Kryptonite I reckon
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 40
    When you break it down, it's basically 5 repetitions into 4 beats of the bar...   but never when I do it.. I find it tricky to avoid playing 4 into 4..  it's still flashy and Joe Public couldn't care less...

Poly-rhythms are my Kryptonite I reckon
    i think its more of a speed issue 16th notes with 5 notes being played in 4 beats bar , i can just about do it but its still very hard and has to be timed spot on if playing alone to the backing track,  I don't think i could ever alternate pick each string at that speed so its about finding what works .
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    edited March 2023
    For a start the Norum vid above is in Eb tuning...

To play it at that speed down pick the first B string note, then up stroke the high e (second) note and immediately hammer on and rapidly pull off the 3rd higher note - and then it's just a case of repeating the arpeggios in that fashion.
    If you try and play that 3rd note in each arpeggio with a downstroke and then pull off.. you won't get the same speed / feel.

Damn .. I can't believe I've finally got this down.! ;-)

Like a lot of guitar stuff - once you've figured out the party trick it becomes a lot lot easier... 
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 612
    Once I've got beyond the obvious 'sticking points' with the Beat it solo I might have a go at Final Countdown.

As always, my starting point will be Carl Brown so perhaps @dazzer22 you might find this useful:

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    From the man himself, it appears to be alternate picking:

Danny1969 said:
    ...It sounds double tracked on the record to me... 
    Listening to the isolated track it's actually harmonised!

First time I've listened to it that closely ;)

Oh I could hear the harmony but if you listen carefully it sounds like 2 guitars play one part in unison and then 2 guitars play the harmony part in unison. It's a thicker sound than the more traditional simple Thin Lizzy / Iron Maiden approach. 

What the part actually is ... in essence,  is a rocked up version of the outro solo from Sultans of Swing but moving the triad shape rather than modifying the inversion like Knopfler does. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:

What the part actually is ... in essence,  is a rocked up version of the outro solo from Sultans of Swing but moving the triad shape rather than modifying the inversion like Knopfler does. 

In essence, yes, but Sultan's arpeggio patterns repeats on the beat, Final Countdown does not, which add the complexity.

When I play it, it always feels like a race to fit the 5 repeats in..  almost ignoring the 4/4 time. Kryptonite!!
    It was the same with a Gary Moore lick in "Walking by myself"

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• If anyone is interested, I just knocked up a full transcription (link is in my sig).
    Recorded it for a laugh...ended up going with alternate picking for the arps:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter