Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Twelve strings - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Twelve strings

What's Hot
Thinking about picking up a 12 string acoustic. What is good to look out for?
Will buy second hand and would prefer something with some age on it. I understand this might mean a neck reset is required.

Budget up to about 1500. I'm wondering about trying to find a Martin D12-20 or a Guild jumbo. The Gibson B25's are a little interesting too. 

Just starting the journey so all input is welcome. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• tomjaxtomjax Frets: 59
    There's that Eko at coda music. You might want to look out for a used Guild, they make lovely 12 strings, and they're well made, and not prone to too many issues.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    D12-20s are wonderful. I would have bought one a friend was selling if I didn’t already have a D12-35 I’ve owned for almost 35 years and used on just about every serious recording I’ve done - but to be perfectly honest the 20 sounded better. I just couldn’t justify two :(.

At the complete opposite end of the scale, that Eko in Coda is genuinely lovely too - or at least with the caveat that I haven’t heard it.

I’ve only played a couple of Gibson B-25s, but they were very disappointing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Guild are the 12-string kings. The F-512 Maple is incredibly good, an utterly lovely instrument .... but £4200.

If you can find a used example (which will be called an F-412 - Guild used to have an F-512 in rosewood and an F-412 which is the same only in maple, now they are both called F-512) it will probably still be way out of budget. But you never know.

That  perfection aside, well, nearly everybody makes a 12 or two.

I think it's wise to consider string spacing carefully. Nearly all 12s have either a 50mm or a 48mm nut and you have to be comfortable with that. There are narrower ones, but they are (thankfully) uncommon and (in my view) very unpleasant to play. With 12 strings you need some space on the fretboard. So 48 or 50mm, at the pointy end is good. 

It's the blunt end string spacing that might trip you up. Depending on your playing style, you might find the narrower 12s difficult to pick accurately. So try before you buy and trust your initial instincts.
  • ChoivertChoivert Frets: 45
    That's great to know about B25's, will steer clear of those then. If I am down south I may have to check out the Eko. I'd love to find a D12-20, I let one slip away a few months ago. 

Tanin - 48/50mm nut width is no issue for me, I like my fretboards wide and necks on the chunky side too. Will have to play a few to get a feel for the bridge spacing I like though, thanks for the heads up. 

Also, regarding Guild, is it just the F412/512 that are great or generally are most 12 string guilds* nice, I've seen a couple in a dreadnaught body shape. 
    *Here I am restricting to made in US guilds. 
    edited March 2023
    Mine is just a lowly Guild D125 model, non US build, but it's an absolute stunner. It plays effortlessly, which is a huge plus when it comes to 12 strings. Double truss rod in the neck and it's really stable tuning.

I've just seen that Forsyths in Manchester have a few 12 strings in stock including a nice looking Eastman.

And Frailers have a 12 string Gibson J45 in stock.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 2910
    edited March 2023
    Never ceases to amaze me how good cheaper older 12 strings sound, think it’s just a function of the extra strings . My point is, and I’m in the get a Guild if you want to spend a fair amount on it, you don’t have to spend a load of cash to buy a decent sounding and playable 12 and the actual difference the more you spank on one is fairly marginal. NB There are some shockers at all price points!

At a lower price point to the guild check out Seagulls
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    If you want a smaller body the Vintage Paul Brett https://www.jhs.co.uk/collections/paul-brett-series/products/vintage-paul-brett-signature-12-string-electro-acoustic-guitar-natural is a great little guitar. Parlour size but sounds bigger. 

At a lower price point to the guild check out Seagulls
    But beware of headstock breaks. Second only to Gibson in their prone-ness to it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    There is also the rather good Vintage VE2000GG 12 string, as endorsed by some bloke called Gordon Giltrap... https://www.giltrap.co.uk/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=1254
    They are now higher priced than they used to be (IMO) at around £650, but as ever, bargains can be had.

• Have owned many high end 12 strings inc bespoke customs Lowdens Avalons - all great guitars. Have dispensed with them in recent years but have to say the Eastman 12s are highly impressive and especially so
    at the price they are, hard to come by but playable 70s mahogany  Guilds can be great bang for the buck. Good luck
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    Most 12-strings made by reputable companies will sound good with all that doubled-string and octave commotion going on. The main issue, for me, has always been playability. 12-strings can put terrific strain on the fretting fingers, even when the action is relatively low and the gauge super light. I've owned 12=strings in the past; if I were to buy one now, the first I would look at would be the Godin electric-acoustic model for this very reason of playability. Word has it that this is the easiest playing 12 string on the market, plus there would be all the panoply of sounds that go with Godin guitars in the Multiac style range. 
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 531
    Easy answer to that - Guild. F-412 and F-512 probably unobtainable within £1500, but I reckon you could find a F-212 or F-112, which are often overlooked but still excellent.
    Timcito said:

The main issue, for me, has always been playability. 12-strings can put terrific strain on the fretting fingers, even when the action is relatively low and the gauge super light.
    The surprising thing is that - assuming the neck is fairly slim, but most aren't too big - then the Ekos can be some of the most playable of all... it sounds impossible for an old cheap plywood 'clunker', but in fact the combination of a zero fret, effective truss rod, bolt-on neck which can be shimmed if necessary, and adjustable bridge mean that you can almost always get the action super low with the minimum of buzzing.

• bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    I found my EKO ranger 12 far too heavy, my Tanglewood 12 string was a lot lighter a lot louder and sounded so sweet nice with low action without any buz, I kept it for quite a number of years. It was a good looker and very well made. Eventually I had to let it go,I just wasn't playing it, can't really get on with 12's I am more of a picker than a strummer.
    You should be able to pick up a Tanglewood 12 sting between £500-£600 new or £300-£400 used in good fettle.
    Good luck in your journey Choivert.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    That's interesting re Seagull headstock breaks - why is that? I keep hearing their artist range (?) is great bang for buck. 
    That's interesting re Seagull headstock breaks - why is that? I keep hearing their artist range (?) is great bang for buck. 

I've had a Seagull S6 for over 30years and still going strong, with normal use I really don't think it's an issue.
    Same problem as Gibson - mahogany neck with the short grain running across the angle behind the nut. The 12-strings are particularly prone to it because of the length of the headstock.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    During the lockdown period I picked up a Fender F-330-12 for £45 locally... the plan was to restring it and flip it, as I reasoned I could double my money. So I cleaned it up and strung it... oh boy.

Genuinely... that guitar is not for sale at any price. One of the best sounding 12-string acoustics I've heard/played. They have a solid spruce top and rosewood back/sides and were made during the 1980s. You won't pay a lot for one, but genuinely... I sold a Guild and kept this. :-) Worth searching one out, imho...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    impmann said:
    During the lockdown period I picked up a Fender F-330-12 for £45 locally... the plan was to restring it and flip it, as I reasoned I could double my money. So I cleaned it up and strung it... oh boy.

Genuinely... that guitar is not for sale at any price. One of the best sounding 12-string acoustics I've heard/played. They have a solid spruce top and rosewood back/sides and were made during the 1980s. You won't pay a lot for one, but genuinely... I sold a Guild and kept this. :-) Worth searching one out, imho...
    There is an F55 12 string currently on ebay for 170 quid. Are they similar at all?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    It looks a lot different but looks like a great deal including that Hiscox case tbh

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.