Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New synth day.. - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New synth day..

What's Hot
Yes another lol

Arturia Polybrute.  

Had to make space by a careful re-arranging of things (including things bolted to a wall).   Also means My Pro3 is sat out of reach and un connected on a top shelf.  Obviously I can get it down when I need iot but its not ready to go.  Might be sold if I rally dont miss it.  It sounds great, but Im not a Mono guy at heart.

So far - couple of niggles which may be me, may be the synth, or may be a fault.  Working on that one.  apart from that its great.

so I now have 3 Analogue Polys,  1 Analogue Mono, 1 Hybrid Poly, 2 Digital Polys, a Workstation (ish), a stage piano, a drum machine and a hardware sequencer.....

Its pretty crowded lol.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    These look awesome  enjoy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 782
    edited March 2023
    Current pic:

https://i.imgur.com/yFyQLFF.jpg

but I have no space for my Pro3 top be hooked up ready to go.  Need to think about that, currently sitting on the top shelf above the big rack.

https://i.imgur.com/FWWDG8a.jpg

Ill either come up with something, sell it, or forget its there lol.
    0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    This is a great video on the Polybrute:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This is a great video on the Polybrute:

I watched pretty much everyone I could find.

I tried one once - and the keybed put me off totally - and its not different now.  BUT its so capable in all other aspects..... I can always play if from fantom or iridium if Im not using the expressive controls live.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    I've got a Polybrute. Congratulations!

It really is an amazingly versatile and complex synth.
  • I've got a Polybrute. Congratulations!

shame about the keybed.  Lets the whole synth down  really.

The aftertouch is nicely balanced but the keys are 1.5mm narrower and 5mm shorter than standard.  That means muscle memory if off when playing on autopilot (fast runs and such)  - and makes the black keys really too thin.

Also means the throw (up to down) is shallow travel, again makes it feel odd.

Theres also only a 3mm lip under they keys v the average 6-8mm.  With the bigger lip, when you press one key down, there is a plastic wall next to your finger from the adjacent key. with PB, you dont have that, you have a gap you can nip a finger in, and you can catch the edge of it which feels sharp.

All that plastic removed also means the keys are quite bendy and flexible - not a nice solid key.  The whole thing makes it feel a little cheap, and not so easy to play.  Im a;ready defaulting to playing it via the Iridium unless Im patch designing (can still use the expression bits on PB as the Iridium sits directly above it - and Iridium has Poly Aftertouch...and the morph function works polyphonically - which gives some really nice expression you cant actually do directly on PB).

Shame - It the only thing I dont really like about it.

Ive found a few FW bugs already too.  They are to do with Midi routing though, only noticeable if you using external controllers to drive PB and also PB to drive other things.  Confirmed with other users on the Gearspaces Polybrute page, tickets gone in to Arturis from about 15 of us and Ive sent them a video - hopefully well get a FW fix for that.

Overall - yes its a great synth.  Like everything its not perfect.   That keybed is a letdown - though I kind of knew that going in as I did play one at Synthfest so knew how it feels (its VERY slimilar to Hydrasynth, and I let that go for Iridium for the same reason - the feel of the keys).

edited March 2023
    I've got a Polybrute. Congratulations!

These things are personal aren't they, but I don't really agree that the whole synth is let down because of the keybed. I don't really worry too much about things like that and I just play the thing. It's the same with guitar, I don't like 7.25 radius massively but I have a couple of guitars with that radius and I just crack on with it, and I'm not bothered about scale length either. I'm lead guitarist for a busy pub and functions band and after 10 minutes with the guitar I'm used to it. 

I have a Polybrute, a Grandmother, a Summit and a Minogue XD and quite a few other USB keyboards, and have owned a Prophet 6, Cobalt, and others so I really have had a variety of synths with different keybeds so I know they're all different and I don't expect them to be the same, so I just don't let it bother me if there are differences because I expect them to be different. 

Personally I think the Polybrute is nailed on to be considered a classic and I don't find the keybed to be an issue, especially if you just play it and get used to it. Here's hoping you can ignore those issues too!  

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Cor blimey that is a space station.

And here I am wondering about buying a Bass Station 2 as my first synth!
  • I've got a Polybrute. Congratulations!

These things are personal aren't they, but I don't really agree that the whole synth is let down because of the keybed. I don't really worry too much about things like that and I just play the thing. It's the same with guitar, I don't like 7.25 radius massively but I have a couple of guitars with that radius and I just crack on with it, and I'm not bothered about scale length either. I'm lead guitarist for a busy pub and functions band and after 10 minutes with the guitar I'm used to it. 

I have a Polybrute, a Grandmother, a Summit and a Minogue XD and quite a few other USB keyboards, and have owned a Prophet 6, Cobalt, and others so I really have had a variety of synths with different keybeds so I know they're all different and I don't expect them to be the same, so I just don't let it bother me if there are differences because I expect them to be different. 

Personally I think the Polybrute is nailed on to be considered a classic and I don't find the keybed to be an issue, especially if you just play it and get used to it. Here's hoping you can ignore those issues too!  

Your right, to a point of course.

The keybed is the most complained about feature of pb across forums though, so its not just me.

Quite a few midi implementation bugs too.   I have 2 I found confirmed by attyria and there investigating the 3rd, which has been confirmed by several other users across forums.

It is what it is.

I want to try a 3rd wave too.  Once that's more readily available I'll Keep the call.  Keep what I have if I've got used to it or let pb and pro3 go and bring in the 3rd wave 
    tFB Trader

@fretmeister ;
    I'll be interested to hear about your shortlist. 
    I'm thinking about getting a Mono at some point. 
    Current shortlist is:
    * Typhon
    * Roland SE-02
    * Microbrute
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    BS2 is a good first synth but I wouldn't be so focussed on what it is- there are loads of good, cheap synths now.

Just buy one and figure out how to use it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Cor blimey that is a space station.

@fretmeister ;
    Current shortlist is:
    * Typhon
    * Roland SE-02
    * Microbrute
    All good choices.

Se02 is imo the nicest sounding.  Typhon has great fx and sequencer.  Microbrute is the most aggressive.
    As it happens I had a bit of wine on the evening I posted...

BS2 arriving this afternoon. I did have a look at other things, including plugin based with a keyboard controller but ultimately there's a lot of BS2 demos with sounds I really like.

I'm rather looking forward to it. Have to brush up on my very old piano skills!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263

BS2 arriving this afternoon. I did have a look at other things, including plugin based with a keyboard controller but ultimately there's a lot of BS2 demos with sounds I really like.

This might not be news to you but worth mentioning that synths are very much not about your ability to play piano, unless you want to be a Jordan Rudess style shredder.

Think 'playing tone colour'.
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:

This might not be news to you but worth mentioning that synths are very much not about your ability to play piano, unless you want to be a Jordan Rudess style shredder.

Think 'playing tone colour'.

Indeed. I think having something like a sequencer is important so you can play the synthesis parameters without thinking about the notes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Noted.

I'm going to run it into an Aux In on my helix so I can add other FX to it.

Won't be long before I'm described as Vangelis with all the talent removed!
  • horsehorse Frets: 1502

@fretmeister ;
    Current shortlist is:
    * Typhon
    * Roland SE-02
    * Microbrute
     I happen to have an se-02 going spare if it might be of interest.
    tFB Trader
    horse said:

@fretmeister ;
    Current shortlist is:
    * Typhon
    * Roland SE-02
    * Microbrute
     I happen to have an se-02 going spare if it might be of interest.

Pmed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I’ve had an hour or so with the BS2 tonight.

Just going through the presets at the mo. It’s great fun. Come up with some ideas for synth bass lines already. Need to get my drum plugins fired up next.
    The only thing that annoys me about the BS2 so far is that the pitch and mod wheels are on the left.

As I have a little bit of a piano background I want to play bass parts with my left hand an control stuff with the right.

I suppose I'll just have to get used to that.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 782
    edited March 2023
    The only thing that annoys me about the BS2 so far is that the pitch and mod wheels are on the left.

As I have a little bit of a piano background I want to play bass parts with my left hand an control stuff with the right.

I suppose I'll just have to get used to that.
    If your going to use synths - get used to it.  there always on the left.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    That looks a fun setup . I just bought an Arturia mini lab Mk ii  controller as a portable ish fun sketch pad . I like 80s synths , DX7 Juno , D50 ,Korg K1 oberheim etc but mine are all software 
    just for fun composing 
    I bought a Waldorf Iridium, sold two guitars to get it. I feel like I need a degree to use it. 
  • I bought a Waldorf Iridium, sold two guitars to get it. I feel like I need a degree to use it. 
    lol.

Teh VA aspect is pretty simple to be fair.  The wavetable stuff isnt THAT hard either.

FM.... well its FM.  I know the theory behind it BUT in practice?  designing sounds from scratch is still a black art - and of course your not just stuck to sine avers (as DX7 was) .  In some ways thats easier - you could have 2 carriers in parallel with sawtooth waveforms and its not different from a typical subtractive twin osc sound at heat.   Its not digging into this FM thats making me thing about the 3rd wave instead.

Resonator is OK.  Just play around gets you a feel - though I tend to use ars one part to att an attack to a sound rather than a sound in it own right - Im not that deep into it.

Ive never known what to do regards sampling - and especially multisampling.  Ive just never needed it - so never played with it.  Im sure its not THAT hard but I dont find the urge personally.  

I get granular as well - but again its not a synthesis type I have any rewal interest in - so not tackled that aspect either.

I bought a Waldorf Iridium, sold two guitars to get it. I feel like I need a degree to use it. 
    lol.

Teh VA aspect is pretty simple to be fair.  The wavetable stuff isnt THAT hard either.

FM.... well its FM.  I know the theory behind it BUT in practice?  designing sounds from scratch is still a black art - and of course your not just stuck to sine avers (as DX7 was) .  In some ways thats easier - you could have 2 carriers in parallel with sawtooth waveforms and its not different from a typical subtractive twin osc sound at heat.   Its not digging into this FM thats making me thing about the 3rd wave instead.

Resonator is OK.  Just play around gets you a feel - though I tend to use ars one part to att an attack to a sound rather than a sound in it own right - Im not that deep into it.

Ive never known what to do regards sampling - and especially multisampling.  Ive just never needed it - so never played with it.  Im sure its not THAT hard but I dont find the urge personally.  

I get granular as well - but again its not a synthesis type I have any rewal interest in - so not tackled that aspect either.

Yea I'm creating sounds on it already. It was just a bit frustrating figuring out what screen, what knob does what at first, and the manual isn't that explanatory. The kernel feature is incredible. I got the keyboard version.
  • I bought a Waldorf Iridium, sold two guitars to get it. I feel like I need a degree to use it. 
    lol.

Yea I'm creating sounds on it already. It was just a bit frustrating figuring out what screen, what knob does what at first, and the manual isn't that explanatory. The kernel feature is incredible. I got the keyboard version.
    yep, me too.  the Poly Aftertouch keybed is a lot better than the one of hydrasynth

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    I’ve had an hour or so with the BS2 tonight.

Just going through the presets at the mo. It’s great fun. Come up with some ideas for synth bass lines already. Need to get my drum plugins fired up next.
    Don't forget to try the paraphonic mode if not already installed/updated. I had a BS2 and stupidly sold it as it didn't do what I wanted RIGHT AWAY! :/