Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD Eastman Gypsy Jazzer dm2/v - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD Eastman Gypsy Jazzer dm2/v

What's Hot
Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
edited March 2023 in Acoustics
As part of a general gear change up I'm indulging an old desire to have one of these for fun, not even to specifically play Django.

I played 2 budgets, a Gitane & Altamira m01
No thanks
3x Altamira m30's, one was nicer than the others and could have come home but I didnt like the matt back/sides & dark gloss top look. Yuk
JWC: smooth midrange and highs but not enough lows, the E sounded thin.

Overall this Eastman ticked the most boxes despite the aging which I'd happily have done without.

The case looks great, with an almost suede feel, but googling could not confirm it's origin.
Strung with Daddarios and have Argentine 11s on order. I've also looked up pickups but it does my head in. I wish someone would do a mag mic pickup that doesn't mount with putty or cost stupid money but noooo. 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• danowensdanowens Frets: 27
    Beautiful! Where did you try so many Selmer-styles?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 4926
    Lovely - I would like to play gypsy jazz style as I love the genre, but the technique is so alien to me that I really struggle. I had a couple of Gitanes but they didn't feel that nice, and a really nice JWC, but I still couldn't cope.

I'm a fan of Eastmans in general and that looks really nice - hope you enjoy it!

I suppose I do share one thing in common with Django - I sound as if I've lost the use of a few fingers as well.

Call me Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    @danowens said:
    Beautiful! Where did you try so many Selmer-styles?
    The two Altamira's m30's & 1x mo1 were at Mak's (great shop) & one m30 at Guitar Village (setup issue). Gitane at Hobgoblins. The JWC & Eastman were private sellers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited March 2023
    @DB1 I've been putting it off for years but playing a selmer style guitar in a shop woke up that desire again.

Here's a tasty lick (not mine) to try that I transcribed:

https://www.soundslice.com/slices/hqNyc/

I've also been working through this great tab of Minor swing at 75% speed getting the unfamiliar phrases and melodies in my brain:

https://www.soundslice.com/slices/lLJcc/in-practice-t-b77/

It's a handy tool to practice as you can loop sections too. 

I'm working through Stephane Wrembel's book doing some "boring" stuff like picking exercises and arpeggios alongside the fun bits like playing minor swing licks.
    Beautiful, thanks! I don't even really play with a pick so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage, and I hate an action that's over 2mm bass, but those clips are lovely. I must try again! 
    Call me Dave.
  • danowensdanowens Frets: 27
    @DB1 I've been putting it off for years but playing a selmer style guitar in a shop woke up that desire again.

Here's a tasty lick (not mine) to try that I transcribed:

https://www.soundslice.com/slices/hqNyc/

I've also been working through this great tab of Minor swing at 75% speed getting the unfamiliar phrases and melodies in my brain:

https://www.soundslice.com/slices/lLJcc/in-practice-t-b77/

It's a handy tool to practice as you can loop sections too. 

I'm working through Stephane Wrembel's book doing some "boring" stuff like picking exercises and arpeggios alongside the fun bits like playing minor swing licks.
    I'm part way through Remi Harris' lick book at the mo. Finding it fun!
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    not for me,  but I do like the case.  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    edited March 2023
    Yes, the case is lovely. It was the same material as on my Easman T64/v. It has a really nice quality feel to it.
    Call me Dave.
    danowens said:
    I'm part way through Remi Harris' lick book at the mo. Finding it fun!
    That guy can seriously shred! Wrembel is my fav at the moment to listen to though.