Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Yamaha Slg - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Yamaha Slg

What's Hot
nero1701nero1701 Frets: 770
edited March 2023 in Acoustics
Hi all,

I travel a fair bit for work, contract depending its often on train and country wide. If I'm in a car rental, I bring a guitar and my little peavey 20 mini head and some headphones.
 Toying with a Yamaha SLG as an alternative. Does anyone have or experienced one? I'm not fussed on nylon or steel strung as its purely for hotel practice. Thoughts, pros or cons please 

Thanks for reading 

My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @nero1701 ; not played or owned one but Yamahas get mentioned quite a bit here in recommendations, and I don't think I've read a bad word.

So I'd say try one if you can find that model and see what *you* think.

Good luck mate :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    @nero1701 there's a used one in Andrertons for £250.
    (Ad is on Google).
    Never played one but know someone who does, seems a good instrument (after the wisecracks about how he should feed it up etc). His is the nylon strung model.
    Good hunting!  ;)

• spev11spev11 Frets: 214
    arrrrghhh, someone buy that Yamaha from Andertons before I weaken, I don't need it but i do WANT it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    I've had one for a couple of years now (steel strung version bought s/h from Sound Affects in Ormskirk) and I'm happy with it.  The idea was to use it live, although most of the time I just use an IR on my electric guitar rather than swapping guitars mid set.  I did try recording with it but it's nowhere near as good as a real acoustic with a mic.

I've taken it away on holiday with me in the UK a couple of times as it doesn't take up anywhere near as much space as a regular guitar.  I'd have one again.
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 770
    Soupman said:
    @nero1701 there's a used one in Andrertons for £250.
    (Ad is on Google).
    Never played one but know someone who does, seems a good instrument (after the wisecracks about how he should feed it up etc). His is the nylon strung model.
    Good hunting!  ;)

£299, hmm I might. 
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
  • GTCGTC Frets: 241
    There are better silent guitars - but not at this price point. It is a decent instrument (I had the nylon-strung version) and the Andertons price isn't bad at all.

If you want to get a good and very portable acoustic output, you could try a JBL GO 2 (the wired version, not the GO 3 Bluetooth version) plugged into the headphone socket.
  • chor808chor808 Frets: 65
    I use the steel string one for gigs as it's feedback proof. It's also great with headphones however it's not silent, I can't play it in the living room with the wife watching telly etc. The gig bag is about half the size, width, as a normal gig bag and maybe a tad shorter. Build is really good as you would expect..
  • danowensdanowens Frets: 27
    I’m selling an SLG-200S here on the forum. I’m gutted about letting it go but I have enough guitars and my partner wants the space. 

I absolutely love the guitar. It’s really light but when I’m playing it, it is anything but flimsy. The pickup combo sounds amazing through headphones and an amp/PA. In fact, I think it’s probably my best sounding acoustic when plugged in as the preamp is so much better than the ones in my other guitars. 

Mine is translucent black and it just looks so rich, and with the body frame I think it looks like a piece of art. I had considered putting a Johnny Smith style pickup in the neck position but I’m kinda glad I haven’t. 

All round it’s an excellent guitar and I strung mine with Flat-Tops which I think sound a bit dead on hollow acoustic guitars but normal bronze strings just sounded so tinny on the SLG as there is no body to even out the sound. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter