Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Omega watch service/repair - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Omega watch service/repair

What's Hot
 My 1970’s Omega Genieve wind up watch recently stopped working. I know nothing about watches and Ive had estimates from £400 - £1500 for a service with repair times up to eighteen months! Does this seem about right in the current climate?  If not, any recommendations for places to send it that would be more reasonable?

I’m kinda tempted to just say bollocks to it all and get a ten quid Casio from Argos.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 521
    I had my 1960's Omega serviced and repaired at Littlecogs in Midhurst. That was about 10 years ago, and cost about £450. Watch has worked perfectly since then, gets used regularly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Omega are arseholes these days - can't get my late Dad's gold Omega Seafarer repaired (runs perfectly, just needs a new rim & glass). It's no longer a supported model, and no Omega dealer will touch it or they'll lose they dealership.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    I had a Rolex serviced twice by a place that wasn’t a dealership but where the chap had being doing similar for decades and had a network of contacts for parts. 

I’d try to track similar down - there are probably watch-nerd-forum equivalents of this place where you can get a steer? 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    edited March 2023
    I had a 70s Omega Geneve a few years ago. They’re lovely watches. However, while you may get lower quotes from smaller independent repairers, it’s still a lot of money to be able to tell the time again. I guess it depends on how precious you are about cogs and jewels doing the job, or if you’d be satisfied with a much more affordable battery operated LCD display. FWIW I got a cheap Casio to replace my Omega, albeit for different reasons. 

EDIT: Also, some of those quotes you’ve received are perhaps more than the watch is worth.
    edited March 2023
    TimmyO said:
    I had a Rolex serviced twice by a place that wasn’t a dealership but where the chap had being doing similar for decades and had a network of contacts for parts. 

I’d try to track similar down - there are probably watch-nerd-forum equivalents of this place where you can get a steer? 
    I have tried, including seedy little 3rd floor places in Hatton Garden. I'll give the one above a go ....

Feedback
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2588
    https://watchguy.co.uk/ Is the one to go to
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Jalapeno said:
    TimmyO said:

I have tried, including seedy little 3rd floor places in Hatton Garden. I'll give the one above a go ....

Do you want me to ask if the chap here can do your model Mick?
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • KDSKDS Frets: 211
    edited March 2023
    Breitling service is £800+, not used them, when my watch will need a service, I'll go to suitable independent switz approved watch maker. There is a chap in exeter I'm planning to use, if he nearby to you pm me and I'll pass on his details 
    TimmyO said:
    Jalapeno said:
    TimmyO said:

Do you want me to ask if the chap here can do your model Mick?
    That'd be great - it's a 1980s Omega Seafarer DeVille - needs a clean, runs well.  Though cosmetics - needs a new bezel & glass (and strap/clasp).

It's my late Dad's so not fazed by bill ! ;)

Feedback
    KDS said:
    Breitling service is £800+, not used them, when my watch will need a service, I'll go to suitable independent switz approved watch maker. There is a chap in exeter I'm planning to use, if he nearby to you pm me and I'll pass on his details 
    Thanks - but north of London, more than a bit of a schlep ....

Feedback
  • Thanks for the replies chaps. It’s a very nice watch but that’s a shit load of cash to get it working. It didn’t cost much in the first place as I found it in a charity shop!

I’m pretty bad at these kind of “fix or replace” decisions. I always feel like I’m making the wrong choice. To top it all I HATE owning broken stuff especially if it’s good quality.

I will take a look at some of the suggestions though.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Weird. I found mine in a charity shop too!
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1625
    That feels very steep to me but it's been a while.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 797
    edited March 2023
    Check here to see what is involved in restoring an Omega Seamaster 120 watch:-

• My old Omega wouldn't go the other day after winding it up. I hadn't used it for some time and assumed it had died, but I gave it a few whacks with the palm of my hand and I could see that it was trying to move, so I gave it a few more, and hey presto, the bugger started working again! This technique is not supported by Omega, apparently.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 967
    edited March 2023
    @Flanging_Fred - my £10 Casio gets worn more than any other watch, but funnily enough I do have a 1960 Omega manual jobbie that needs a service. The fabled Swiss Time Services got back to me with a quote of £450... ah, yes, erm, not happening. I've been recommended Alsals in London and am also looking very keenly at https://mitka.co.uk/ . You can see all the Omega work he's done online and he also has prices. Good luck!
  • rocktron said:
    Check here to see what is involved in restoring an Omega Seamaster 120 watch:-

Love this guy. 

Something that really sticks out to me is how similarly he approaches the different watches. He does say that some of the high end ones do sorta "click" together a little easier, sort of a "by watch repairers for watch repairers" thing, and that not much has really changed in watch making in a long, long time. 

Super cool, good bedtime watching! 
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 861
    edited March 2023
    Someone a while back mentioned Perpetual in Stockport are good. https://perpetualwatchservices.co.uk/

I’ll be giving them a try in the near future to service a Speedmaster.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    edited March 2023 tFB Trader
    Zoolooter said:
    Someone a while back mentioned Perpetual in Stockport are good. https://perpetualwatchservices.co.uk/

They serviced my daughter's Omega for me recently, couldn't be happier with the service or the price which was very reasonable.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 861
    Zoolooter said:

They serviced my daughter's Omega for me recently, couldn't be happier with the service or the price which was very reasonable.
    Good to know, cheers.
  • I’m in same boat, my favourite vintage Seamaster is not something Omega are even interested in repairing.  They are just a bling fashion sales company now.

It still keeps amazingly good time but needs a new crystal.  Omega looks a dead end, many months wait, unknown costs.  If there are some good independents, I have a couple that need looking at.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1324
    https://swisstimeservices.co.uk/

Really good service from these on my Omega
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3464
    Top quality work - reasonable prices.

http://onatelier.co.uk/
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 471
    https://watchguy.co.uk/ Is the one to go to
    I will second this.

He did a full restoration of 2 Omega Chronostops I had. 
    I got a full photo file showing each stage. It was amazing. 

When I sold them I got crazy money BECAUSE of I used him and the attention to detail.

He looks after my Omega Electronics now. 
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    rsvmark said:
    https://swisstimeservices.co.uk/

Really good service from these on my Omega
    Certified Omega centre - will probably be useless - I've tried some of these  and they all say they won't touch it or Omega would withdraw their approval.

Feedback
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 260
    Simon freese ex SWS is a good shout:
    Simon Freese - Home (simonfreesewatchmakers.com)

All I've tried so far have said - missing bezel = return to Omega - It's already been :(

Pinged Simon Freese

Feedback
    edited September 2023
    Jalapeno said:
    All I've tried so far have said - missing bezel = return to Omega - It's already been

Pinged Simon Freese
    By way of an update as there's other watch threads, Simon Freese eventually got back to me - he's had my watch since May, waiting for somebody to fabricate a new Bezel. "Very soon" is the prognosis apparently ......

Feedback
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    edited September 2023
    If you’re in or can get to London I highly recommend Perri’s in Hatton Garden. He’s certified by Omega and listed on their website and he does all my watches (including vintage) for very reasonable prices. He’s a top lad and a massive watch nerd, too.