Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Does the Marshall Origin 50 sound better than the 20? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Does the Marshall Origin 50 sound better than the 20?

What's Hot
gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 875
I had a try at an Origin 20 head and I noticed it seemed to get a bit flubby when pushed. I'm sure I read somewhere that the way Marshall have done the power reduction from the 50 to the 20 has resulted in the 20 sounding thinner and with that flubbier bottom end. I may have picked that up wrong. But people say the 50 is fuller sounding and doesn't flub out as much when pushed. Is that right? I'm thinking of getting one and wondering if the 50 is worth the extra £100. I do have an attenuator  =)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• horseheadhorsehead Frets: 209
    From my understanding the 12" speaker in the 50 makes a big difference 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    I have the 50 head and a friend has the 20 and yes, I'd say the extra headroom makes a big difference to low end clean delivery, though I haven't tried them both through the same cab.

I was tempted to risk buying the 20 as being "probably" loud enough but I'm really glad I didn't as even the 50 has nowhere near the power of a 1987x.
    It's a loud amp, but it ain't THAT loud. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I’ve never tried the 50, but having tried the 20, it can’t sound worse.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1246
    I have a 50 in the classifieds, you're welcome to come and try it if you're up in the midlands.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/242162/fs-marshall-origin-50-head#latest
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    ICBM said:
    I’ve never tried the 50, but having tried the 20, it can’t sound worse.
    I haven't had a chance to record my 50H yet, but it sounds exactly like this one. 

• RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 118
    Is the 50 loud enough to gig with. Mic'd up
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    Rkphilpot said:
    Is the 50 loud enough to gig with. Mic'd up
    It's a 50W Marshall valve amp.

It's loud enough to gig with. Un-mic'd. From the moon.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • How fast does sound travel on the moon?

This head looks interesting, it's another one that ticks a bunch of boxes for me. How good does it sound in 1 watt and 10 watt mode?