Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Laser engraver/cutter ideas and experiences - it's here and i'm cutting things! - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Laser engraver/cutter ideas and experiences - it's here and i'm cutting things!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    edited April 2023
    I've re done the Z headstock, stratlele plate and done an extra maple headplate, this time with engraved logo.

This guitar has never had a well fitting plate

I also had a play engraving on the grenadillo.  Line and fill side by side.  The fill have cut deep enough to actually inlay something

And just for fun, a photo

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    It's a nice tool, but I think what I'm in awe of is your general productivity.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    it's productive because I can do it around other tasks.  The laser needs supervision due to the obvious fire risk, but it can be happily beavering away whilst I do other things. 

I've just done a metal engraving test.  I keep saying the laser won't engrave metal.  I did try to see if it would mark chrome the other day, but no change at all.  I sprayed some aluminium sheet yesterday for the next test

it took 5 minutes to engrave through the paint today.  the stock images are pretty rough and ready, certainly for the tarot images,  and the laser recreated it exactly. The Hermit is 40mm tall for reference. 

That then got a dip in some ferric chloride to etch the exposed metal

then i cleaned off the paint with thinners

That is a massive success!  
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    WezV said:
    Really like this Wez, that would save loads of hassle manually doing templates all the time
    It isn't necessarily quicker, but definitely more accurate and repeatable.

I will try some other materials soon too
    I've had similar experience with my CNC.

Yes, I can (and have) set it up to cut and carve a complete body, but that's pretty time intensive on a hobby setup kit.

The real benefit is in doing the detail and time-consuming work.  I've never had such well fitting pickups in cavities or covers into cavities, or screw holes in the exact right position, etc.  I'm going to try some inlay work at some point too.  I've trialled cutting designs ~1.5mm wide and then the inlays to fit into them, which worked well.  That opens up all sorts of fancy inlay design work possibilities.

Hopefully going to start working part-time soon, so I'll have an extra day or two for doing the fun stuff.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    WezV said:

That is a massive success!  
    Just thinking of the opportunities there - wow!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    playing with a "simple" rosette idea that i would never be able to do by hand

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited April 2023
    So I think i've answered my original question at this point - there are plenty of uses for a diode laser for luthiery.  Diodes may not be the quickest for cutting, but they can do it.

They are going to struggle cutting thicker denser material, so I probably won't bother cutting fretboards again with the 10w laser..  But it will still be great for marking out non-standard fretscales and helping with most decorative elements.

These things are getting better all the time though.   They just announced a new version of the  S30 range, the S30 ultra which will come in 11,22 and 33w along with a bigger working area of 600x600mm as standard - big enough for most guitar shapes.

• m_cm_c Frets: 1128
    I can't remember where it was discussed, but did you get an air assist option?
    It comes as standard on this model... automatically controlled in the Lightburn software 
    A simple raised router base for palm routers.   I accidently left the air assist off on this one, it still cut through, but not quite as cleanly and you can see smoke stains on top

Its a handy little tool for thicknessing small items with the router, so will be used to tidy up some of those headplates I cut last week

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    slightly annoying issue today.  I decided to clean the lens as it is supposed to be done every so often

it is supposed to come apart like this for maintenance

note a brass section remains in the laser module.  The replaceable lens goes in the removeable brass section.

well mine came out all in one go, and seems to be stuck together

This will be a good test of Sculpfun's support,  and i will actually crack on with using some of the bits already made whilst I get it resolved
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    They suggested using pliers to separate the parts.  The soft metal didn't like that, even when wrapped in tape. 

It's still usable, but they are sending me a replacement nozzle.  I will wait for that before doing any significant cutting.   Apparently I did not need to remove the lens to clean, and could just a ear bud and isopropyl on the easy to get to bits.  I only need to take the lens out when it is actually damaged.  This wasn't clear in their guides which all say a regular cleaning is needed to maintain cutting power.

So on the one hand I am a bit annoyed by the video guide and instructions for cleaning/changing the lens.  On the other, they have been pretty helpful resolving the issue and providing additional guidance. I should be back up and running soon.  
    Back up and running.

A few non guitar tests.

Mirror.  I used a couple of doors from an old bathroom cabinet.  Unfortunately these had some additional coating on the back that meant I got more smoke  and residue and it started affecting laser power pretty quickly

I also tried etching a photo on the ither door, but that didn't work at all... but I think with a n9rmal uncoated mirror it should all work fine.

I also did a simple wallet.  My stitching needs some work

And I've been working on zemaitis style designs so engraved one of those.  Went a bit fast with some of it so got a few wobbles here are there.

But sadly my enchant didn't want to do this.  It is old and pretty diluted so more is on the way.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Couple more none guitar bits

Slate engraving

Stainless steel

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • That's pretty cool - I had no idea you could mark slate like that with a laser cutter.
    The slate engraves really well.  That is done at low power and full speed so it makes for a quick and effective project.

I have tried photo engraving on the slate too, but not much success yet...   It's a very narrow band of power setting's between black and white, making greyscale a challenge. 

The stainless steel worked better than expected too.  I had to cover that with black sharpie first, but got a very clean result
  • DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 784
    edited June 2023
    It just seems odd to me that it can engrave slate. In my mind a laser cutter works by heating the target material until it either melts or burns, and I'd imagine the burning or melting temperature of slate is way higher than wood or metals.  Very useful that it works though. Perhaps it's hot enough that it actually vaporises everything, even stone.
    edited July 2023
    I believe the slate is vaporised.  It gives off a bit of dust
    edited July 2023
    I had another go at a Zemaitis style test engraving now I have some more ferric chloride.

Success but I took it too far and it textured the surface.  I don't actually mind this look, just need to make it a bit more consistent if doing it for real.   maybe a two step process where I do a clean engraving then come back and do an all over patina

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1391
    That looks great Wez.  I might have to talk to you about another guitar!  

An accurate jig for converting from hardtail to Toranado bridges - a nice mod to many  modern mustangs

The bridges have slightly different string spacing, hence the wider string holes on the outer ones.

They have released a camera for this machine, which I decided to order.

I have little interest in filming it in action, but the camera will make alignment on the actual workpieces so much easier