Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Synth/studio Set-up, connecting to Monitors. Options? Advice? - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Synth/studio Set-up, connecting to Monitors. Options? Advice?

What's Hot
Already have a Nord A1 synth which I use with headphones. Bought second synth, Korg Minilogue on Friday from Music Room in the closing down sale, spotted some Kali LP6 monitors as well as I thought they would be generally useful, so I can amplify my synths.  Which has got me thinking.... how should I connect the synths to the monitors without having to keep unplugging cables?  Do I need a mixer? I also have a MacBook and a SM58..... so it's starting to sounds like a simple studio set-up, which might be fun.  I don't really know what I'm doing :) I like simple and hardware, hate playing around with menus and software. Any suggestions/advice on way forward?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Just get a little mixer.

You can pick them up fairly cheap
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KDSKDS Frets: 211
    Just get a little mixer.

Any recommendations?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    KDS said:
    Just get a little mixer.

Any recommendations?

Behringer ones can be a bit noisy

Yamaha do some decent ones if your budget will stretch.
  • If space is at a premium something like the Behringer UB802 I have would do the job for you.

(There are more recent revisions on that particular discontinued model)

That would give you two stereo input channels (3/4 and 5/6) for the two synths, a couple of mic/line channels for a mic or a third synth (either mono, or stereo into 1 and 2 panned right and left). Plus there's the 'tape' in/out connections for the laptop (assuming it has line in and line (or headphone) out) plus an auilliary send/return should you want an external effects unit (reverb for example). Main out and headphone (or second 'control room out') on separate volume controls. Switchable phantom power should you want to use a condenser mic.

Basically, all you need for a small home studio setup in a very compact unit.

There are more upmarket mixer options but I've used several of the smaller Behringer mixers over the years (still own three) and never had any problems (although the bigger - 24 channel plus - Behringer mixers have been a bit fragile for live work in my experience.

Thanks for the advice :)
  • A lot of these little mixers now have a USB audio interface built in - you might not want to get into recording on a computer, but they’re also useful for playing audio from a computer through your monitors (either for practising or just listening.)
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    edited March 2023
    Yamaha MG10XU.. acts like an interface too for recording.  Will be plug and play with Mac.

Has decent routing for monitoring overdubs, etc.   Some nice FX in built too.

And it is Yamaha = bombproof
    Yamaha MG10XU.. acts like an interface too for recording.
    That looks really interesting, any idea how it compare to the Heath & Allen Zeni10FX?
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    edited March 2023
    KDS said:
    Yamaha MG10XU.. acts like an interface too for recording.
    That looks really interesting, any idea how it compare to the Heath & Allen Zeni10FX?
    Essentially same.. i have loads of Yamaha gear still in daily and gigging use, some going back to early 90’s.

More USB channels on the A&H would swing it if planning on recordings or recording with others

My Yamaha has compressors on some of the inputs. Can be useful for voice.

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 2910
    edited March 2023
    I would go for the Zedi myself or if you can push the Zed 10, the Zed 10 has a better EQ than the Zedi. FWIW the compressors on the Yamaha are awful in my opinion, all or nothing with no way of altering threshold make up gain etc. 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk