Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Modeller or pre-amp pedal - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Modeller or pre-amp pedal

What's Hot
I’m waivering on how much I like the drive sounds on my Marshall 3310.

The clean channel is great and so I was wondering whether sticking a HX stomp would be the way to go.

I don’t need a huge range of tones or effects so maybe one of the Bogner or Friedman pre-amp pedals would be a better shout.

Any general thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2275
    Modellers  just don't sound as good in my experience.  They do a job, and are good, but I've not found one I prefer to use for drives compared to a few decent pedals.

However if you want to use a bunch of different sounds/effects then they're a good starting point and some people find them easier to use.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I tried running Boss GT100 into my amp FX return and cab. I didn't like it for anything other than clean. It does an okay job but nothing better. It did sound better than using the built in speaker sims into the PA but it's not the same as a decent amp and cab.

I then got a Kraken preamp pedal and it's in a totally different league. I also much prefer there being a lot less to adjust than the option paralysis that can happen with modellers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 477
    I know that they're cheap but the Joyo (or Caline versions) of the British Sound, AC Sound and American Sound - Marshall, Vox & Fender respectively - analogue sim pedals are really quite fantastic. As far as I know they are copies of the discontinued Tech 21 pedals. They can go straight into a desk but equally work well as a pedal going into an amp.

I've got the Caline ones and for around 35 quid they are worth a punt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 357
    The victory pre-amps are an interesting one.  Actually adds a bit of valve to the sound.

Does the kraken version do classic and heavy rock?
  • CHrisP86 said:
    The victory pre-amps are an interesting one.  Actually adds a bit of valve to the sound.

Does the kraken version do classic and heavy rock?
    Yes. The green channel is based around a JCM 800. It can easily go from AC/DC to Van Halen if you set it in between and use your guitar volume and a clean boost.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 613
    The Victory pre amp is a route I've been considering with my Orange CR60C. 

At home I use my HD PROX in the effects loop but it is overkill for what I actually play however I like the idea of creating a 4 channel amp (in effect) with great tones - I keep looking at the Jack for my own use. 
  • The problem with Marshall style amps is they are very coloured to sound like a Marshall.
    In my experience sending any type of pre-amp/modeller into one still ends up sounding like a Marshall. Whereas a Fender style amp takes these very well.
    Also how many amp different sounds do you need? Are you looking for "your" sound or a specific genre or do you need to cover all the basis, if the later then a modeling setup would be better otherwise go the analogue route.
  • Nikc said:
    The Victory pre amp is a route I've been considering with my Orange CR60C. 

At home I use my HD PROX in the effects loop but it is overkill for what I actually play however I like the idea of creating a 4 channel amp (in effect) with great tones - I keep looking at the Jack for my own use. 
    As with all gear it totally comes down to your needs, taste and setup.

I originally bought my preamp with ideas of a 4 channel amp with my Blackstar HT50, but mainly so I could just take the preamp for rehearsals to travel lighter. The HT50 is basically now a power amp for when I play at home and I'll probably end up selling it.

If you're going for a 4 channel setup then you really want very different voices compared to your current amp as far as the preamp goes - in my case the Kraken green and red is a vastly superior take on what Blackstar had aspirations of with the ISF British/American thing. The Jack might end up being simply a better version of your existing amp and it could be better going for something vastly different.

And this...

https://postimg.cc/LnxYsScj

is my current live rig as we go straight into the PA - Kraken preamp in 4cm with a Boss GT100 into a Mooer Radar IR pedal into the desk. Needless to say it also works perfectly for recording and silent practice too.

I can use the Boss for an acceptable pure clean tone on the one or two songs per set that need it and the preamp covers everything else. We do covers but we do them our way rather than trying to copy the originals exactly so I just go with my own sound. I tend to set up just 4 basic rhythm patches and a lead patch using EQ/OD/etc.

Your needs may vary but if anyone is looking for aa affordable lightweight tube setup straight to PA (or into the venue backline) then I can recommend this route of approach.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    I've got one of the American Sound clones and use it instead of an amp at home. I used to have an HX Stomp and prefer the American Sound for amp purposes. I've never used it as a pre-amp though.

However if you're after drive sounds, why a pre-amp and not an overdrive or distortion (depending on what sort of drive sound you are after)?
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    The problem with Marshall style amps is they are very coloured to sound like a Marshall.
    This is exactly what I was going to say. There’s little room to manoeuvre. Other more generic sounding amps might be a better option?
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie