Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD - Faith Neptune Mango Prototype - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD - Faith Neptune Mango Prototype

What's Hot
myrmanmyrman Frets: 62
edited February 2023 in Acoustics
I am a big admirer of Faith guitars so I was really happy to have purchased this one off Faith Neptune Mango wood prototype from Absolute Music at this weekend guitar Show in Birmingham. (Great guys btw) They had quite a selection but this one stood out for me. Unfortunately there is no onboard pickup but I will add something at some point. The front back and sides are all mango wood.

I have to admit that it took all my willpower to not come back with one of the other models available.

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 526
    Stunning . . . I love my Faith Neptune . . . Great guitars :-)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • That is just stunning, I love the striping, and even the fretboard is getting in on the act. Happy NGD !

This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Very nice indeed.   Unique even. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Stunning is definitely the word

I've always liked those Seymour Duncan Woody pickups. Much better than piezo to my ears

HNPAGD
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    I like that top and back.

HNGD! :) 
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    Cracking guitar Gromit! The word 'stunning' has been used several times above. It is just that. Congrats!
     :)

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited February 2023
     the same as The Other Dennis bought at the Manchester GS ?   

Faith Mango,  1 of a kind ?    - but Denni's is a more brown/wine  colour ? 

OP - https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/243280/the-what-i-bought-at-the-guitar-show-thread/p1 ;

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • myrmanmyrman Frets: 62
    bertie said:

OP - https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/243280/the-what-i-bought-at-the-guitar-show-thread/p1 ;

So looking at the info on the label in that one I guess it's the colour plus the maple binding as opposed to Trembesi binding on mine. So not a unique mango guitar just a unique finish. Either way I'm very happy with mine.
    edited February 2023
    myrman said:
    bertie said:

So looking at the info on the label in that one I guess it's the colour plus the maple binding as opposed to Trembesi binding on mine. So not a unique mango guitar just a unique finish. Either way I'm very happy with mine.
    oh for sure -  Im not a fan of overly figured tops - (like that horrid old Ibanez thing they did) but when I first saw Denis and now yours  its more "understatedly interesting"  

Backs however are a different ball-game and "all bets are off"  =)
  • Super cool.... Sounds?
    Super cool.... Sounds?
    Sounds very nice. I have a standard Neptune High Gloss which has a brighter tone overall. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    That's lovely. I don't think I'd like the timber as much on an electric. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010
    edited February 2023
    bertie said:

It's a combination of the stain and the grain, @Bertie - mine is stained gold with a more understated grain, while @myrman's is stained in a different way (I think Faith described that as 'moon' staining, iirc?), and it's a much more distinctive grain pattern.

What makes each one 'unique' isn't the wood - they're both fully solid mango - it's the way Faith have finished them. They had another mango one on the stand finished in what I think they described as 'midnight' staining, so a really, really dark blue, with another figuring pattern.

I may be wrong, but I think the neck joins may be designed in a slightly different way, too - so on my Avalon cutaway, the neck is joined smoothly down through the cutaway arch. On my Faith, the arch starts slightly away from the neck. I think I saw the Avalon style arch on one or two of the other Neptune cutaways, but I may be wrong (ie, they may have been other models).

And I think the fingerboards and binding are different too - mine has an ebony fingerboard and maple binding. Not sure what that is on @myrman's.

When I was talking to Alex, who said he was the Faith head honcho (at least on the stand, anyway), he said the plan had been to see how the guitars would sound, how easy the wood was to work with, what people thought of them and then decide on future production based on that. As it turned out, the supply wouldn't have worked out for a Faith-level production run, so mango was shelved. (I may have misunderstood, so if anyone knows any different, I'm ready to be corrected.)

They brought the guitars along to the show because they decided they'd sell the prototypes anyway, just to see how they went down. Mine certainly went down very well, and when I went back on Sunday afternoon, they said they'd sold pretty much everything they'd brought and had to bring out some standard models just so the stand didn't look bare.

Oh, and we also bought them at the same show, by the way.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010
    edited February 2023
    For those who haven't seen mine on the other thread, this is the one I bought -

If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    edited February 2023
    What makes each one 'unique' isn't the wood - they're both fully solid mango - it's the way Faith have finished them. They had another mango one on the stand finished in what I think they described as 'midnight' staining, so a really, really dark blue, with another figuring pattern.

I may be wrong, but I think the neck joins may be designed in a slightly different way, too - so on my Avalon cutaway, the neck is joined smoothly down through the cutaway arch. On my Faith, the arch starts slightly away from the neck. I think I saw the Avalon style arch on one or two of the other Neptune cutaways, but I may be wrong (ie, they may have been other models).

And I think the fingerboards and binding are different too - mine has an ebony fingerboard and maple binding. Not sure what that is on @myrman's.

gotcha    

did you manage to play any of the other variants ?  (and @myrman ) or were yours the only ones of their kind at the respective shows ?

be interesting to know/hear the tonal differences  
    @TheOtherDennis ; I was really tempted by the Legacy prototype that they had. Did you try it? Much more of a standard look but sounded great. I just couldn't justify going home with 2 guitars. 
  • I played a couple of other prototypes, but not the other Neptune ones, because I wasn't keen on the dark finishes. They had prototypes of some of their other models - Venus and Legacy, I think they were.

They had a Venus that was pretty much perfect for me in terms of looks, because it was a matt/satin finish, which I absolutely adore, but it was spruce and rosewood, and as I said in the other tread, I've already got three of those.

My mango Neptune is really bright and zingy, but not in a sharp way - its quite rounded, and not as crisp as, say something with mahogany would be (like my LArrivee, for example). And it seems to have plenty of volume.

If I was capable of playing something worth recording, and I was capable of recording it, I'd happily put a soundclip up, so you could hear what I mean.

I absolutely love it. It's the only guitar after my Avalon I've ever bought that I didn't go off within a couple of days.
    edited February 2023

Here is the cutaway on the Faith Vs my Avalon LS310c

• myrman said:
    @TheOtherDennis ; I was really tempted by the Legacy prototype that they had. Did you try it? Much more of a standard look but sounded great. I just couldn't justify going home with 2 guitars. 
    I couldn't justify going home with one! :D

I tried a couple of the other guitars, not sure which models they were, and they were all really nice, and were cracking guitars, but I couldn't justify them.

And then out of nowhere, I absolutely fell in love with the one I bought. I'm really not that into bling at all, I much prefer the understated stuff, but I simply couldn't resist this. Childish, I know, but as the saying goes, if we only pass this way but once...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • myrman said:

Here is the cutaway on the Faith Vs my Avalon LS310c

Likewise - I think my Neptune has a slightly larger bit at the side of the neck join than yours - 

lovely bit of binding/purfling on both 
  • The binding on mine is maple, don't know what the other one is, tho
    maharg101 said:
    That is just stunning, I love the striping, and even the fretboard is getting in on the act. Happy NGD !

Pinged an email to Faith today to check on the fretboard and neck wood and it's a mahogany neck (as expected) with a Macassan Ebony fretboard.
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 259
    I was there too. Spent ages trying out the Legacy Neptune prototype, even got Mrs Monkey to agree to let me buy it but only if they'd let me pay hire purchase style. Unfortunately, they said no, and even worse, as I walked away, dejected, someone else snapped it up.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

I was there too. Spent ages trying out the Legacy Neptune prototype, even got Mrs Monkey to agree to let me buy it but only if they'd let me pay hire purchase style. Unfortunately, they said no, and even worse, as I walked away, dejected, someone else snapped it up.
    As a follow up to this, I found the guy that bought it was selling it on ebay, so I do now own it :)

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    @Monkeybone great result! And I suspect a small saving on the original price! Well done you!

Soupman said:
    @Monkeybone great result! And I suspect a small saving on the original price! Well done you!

Ohhh, I wish that were the case...

The price at the show was £856, the guy who bought it at the show originally had it listed on eBay for £1200! Thankfully, I managed to haggle him down to £950...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GTCGTC Frets: 241
    I've never tried a guitar with mango top, back and sides before. However, my favourite uke is an all mango Pono baritone. The finish is natural mango with high clear gloss - sort of sick-coloured!