Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Convert USB out on modelling amp to audio line out? - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Convert USB out on modelling amp to audio line out?

What's Hot
Not sure if this is possible.
I have a Mustang GT40 which doesn't have a line out but it does have a micro USB out.
I want to get an audio feed into a Zoom L12 recorder (a mic on the amp has too many issues due to sound spill).

There's some cheapo "USB to audio" converters on Amazon for less than a tenner.

I'd also need to get a "micro USB to normal USB" converter.
I'm not that keen on hacking open the amp to bodge the headphone out so it doesn't cut out the speaker, and this USB solution would be nice and simple.

Any idea if it should work?!
One key issue is if the Mustang USB out includes a 5 volt connection, as that must be what's needed to power the little audio converter.
Weirdly I can't find anything on Google to see if people do this on other amps for occasional PA feeds or old fart "avoid the computer" recording setups.
Thanks for any suggestions!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    No, it probably won't work, at least not without a computer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited February 2023
    No, because it's not a USB host - it has no way to control an external USB device.

You'll be able to use the headphone output, though....?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    No the TEKNET device will not work as a USB 'HOST' I have asked about this on other forums and you need to use a computer. However, any old s*** laptop will do! W10, W7 probably even XP so long as it has USB 2.0 (1.1 might even work!) you will get a headphone feed from the soundcard. For convenience if you hack the laptop you can probably find a mode that works with the lid shut.
    BTW that USB dongle is a very good device. I have one I use with a headset that has 2X 3.5mm jacks and it gets me audio in and out for Skyping.

Just a thought? You might be able to do this with an android tablet?

Dave.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Or a Raspberry Pi. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Wow - thanks for the great responses - lucky I checked before buying!
    I can't use the headphone out as I need the amp to hear myself.
    Tablet or old laptop sounds doable - great!
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Wow - thanks for the great responses - lucky I checked before buying!
    Stop! You simply need a stereo splitter - i.e. a tiny sub-£5 adaptor from Amazon to let you plug your headphones in and also take a parallel stereo feed to the Zoom. 

It's that simple.
    goldtop said:
    Wow - thanks for the great responses - lucky I checked before buying!
    Stop! You simply need a stereo splitter - i.e. a tiny sub-£5 adaptor from Amazon to let you plug your headphones in and also take a parallel stereo feed to the Zoom. 

It's that simple.

True but if you wanted a bit more welly and separate volume controls the Behringer HA400 headphone amp is only about 20 quid and is very clean and loud.

Dave.
  • crosstownvampcrosstownvamp Frets: 187
    edited February 2023
    goldtop said:
    It's that simple.
    I need the amp speakers to hear my playing - it's for our band jams.

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    goldtop said:
    It's that simple.
    I need the amp speakers to hear my playing - it's for our band jams.

Fair enough, didn't realise and thought this was just for home. This choice of amp makes your situation problematic - lots of people found the same with the THR series, and Yamaha eventually put Line Outs on the 30W version.

Adding a USB-host and DAC (computer + interface) just to get an audio out is a very inelegant solution, and gets you into a world of drivers, latency and other annoyances.

I'd hack the amp or trade it in for one that does what you want as-is.
  • crosstownvampcrosstownvamp Frets: 187
    edited February 2023
    Yeah I was wondering about latency.
    I've got a Mustang III but I like the sound (and weight) of the GT 40 and the Tone app works well.
    Not sure I want to shell out £400 for the GTX 50.
    Yeah I was wondering about latency.
    I've got a Mustang III but I like the sound (and weight) of the GT 40 and the Tone app works well.
    Not sure I want to shell out £400 for the GTX 50.

I doubt latency would be an issue. You after all just want a feed to a recorder? The only latency that could occur is a delay between the USB converted signal and whatever else is going into the Zoom and I doubt that would be a problem.
    But even if there was a noticeable delay on that track you are not hearing it on record, listening to speaker and so the delay could be removed in a DAW.

Give it a do and see!

Dave.