Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Musiclily SE/S2 brass sustain block is win (cheap and high quality) - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Musiclily SE/S2 brass sustain block is win (cheap and high quality)

What's Hot
This was £24 delivered from a seller called icypod on eBay (no affiliation)

My S2 Standard weighs next to nothing, which is lovely, but I wanted the guitar to feel more solid, like it was fighting back more, and maybe have a bit more body to the notes

I didn't weigh the new block but it is very obviously heavier than the block that came with the guitar. I'd say the new block on its own weighs about the same as the standard block and bridge/saddle assembly together

The three hex bolts the new block came with are shorter than the standard bolts. I used the standard bolts to secure the new block and they fit perfectly. The plastic collar on the new block fits the standard arm perfectly too. I had no issues at all getting it installed

The guitar does feel like it has a bit more oomph now, though I admit this is not a scientific measure. It is slightly heavier to hold. There was a dead spot on the neck that is now only ever so slightly dead, so there is a tangible improvement there

I wouldn't do this mod for the sake of it but there was something specific about this particular guitar I wanted to improve. Definitely recommend this brand if you're looking to do something similar

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I got one off Amazon for even less, made such a difference to my old Mex strat. Massive sustain improvement over the gouged, zinc half-block it shipped with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    edited August 2023
    I have a few of these now, it really does add something IMO even if it's only in tactile feedback. Feels like the strings are more connected to the body of the guitar. I feel it is worth the money for a guitar you really like

I got a brass block for a Wilkinson vintage style six hole with a collared insert. The collar is a bit tight fitting and the arm doesn't swing freely, even with the grub screw removed. Not sure what to do really. Can you ream a plastic collar? Or maybe it will correct itself over time
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:
    This was £24 delivered from a seller called icypod on eBay (no affiliation)

My S2 Standard weighs next to nothing, which is lovely, but I wanted the guitar to feel more solid, like it was fighting back more, and maybe have a bit more body to the notes

I didn't weigh the new block but it is very obviously heavier than the block that came with the guitar. I'd say the new block on its own weighs about the same as the standard block and bridge/saddle assembly together

The three hex bolts the new block came with are shorter than the standard bolts. I used the standard bolts to secure the new block and they fit perfectly. The plastic collar on the new block fits the standard arm perfectly too. I had no issues at all getting it installed

The guitar does feel like it has a bit more oomph now, though I admit this is not a scientific measure. It is slightly heavier to hold. There was a dead spot on the neck that is now only ever so slightly dead, so there is a tangible improvement there

I wouldn't do this mod for the sake of it but there was something specific about this particular guitar I wanted to improve. Definitely recommend this brand if you're looking to do something similar

That’s really brilliant . Must get one for my MIM in future
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    @hollywoodrox for around £20 they are well worth it if you like the guitar

I just got a brass sustain block and solid steel block saddles for my SE SS. Ordered yesterday afternoon from icypod, turned up just now
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:
    Absolutely , I think it has a zinc block if it’s the original . My parents bought me it so it’s not going anywhere . Thanks for sharing the info 
    roberty said:
    Absolutely , I think it has a zinc block if it’s the original . My parents bought me it so it’s not going anywhere . Thanks for sharing the info 
    One thing is it's a bit of a pain in the arse to swap. You need to take the saddles off really, which means re-intonating and you might upset the radiusing as well. Strat life!
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 399
    Speaking of Musiclilly stuff … i have avoided it so far as I belived it to be cheap and low quality - but I just bought one of their wraparound intonatable nickel bridges for one of my DC junior builds and I am blown away by the quality / price ratio - its a steal for £15 !

Better bridge than some of the big branded expensive stuff !  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    I needed some abalone dots quickly and got 20 from musiclily on Amazon. They were of good quality and were actually better than ones I had from both alternative places (luthier/timber suppliers) They were cut consistently and smooth sided, whereas the dots from the other places were often only flat on one face and the other had chipped/flaked. 

I’d definitely try some of their other stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter