Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Acoustic Build - GS Mini Style - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Acoustic Build - GS Mini Style

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Also, now there is lacquer on it I think the mystery neck wood is likely Dark Red Meranti, not mahogany.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    It's amazing the difference when even the first sealer coats are on.  It was lovely before in the bare wood, but is really beautiful now.  I like the figuring in the neck, the bookmatching of the back, and that rosette is something else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Yeah, I got pretty lucky with the woods.

The neck figuring is very subtle until the light hits it, then it just pops.

I was going to add a walnut heel cap, until I realised that orange patch in the walnut led nicely into the neck wood.
    Nearly done

I still need to buff out back and sides but couldn't resist getting some strings on

Initial impressions are good... just need a slightly taller saddle as it's too low action and choking out higher up the neck... but I would rather a little too much neck angle at this point than not enough
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Looks great!
  • That's looking really good - nice use of the laser cutter as well.  Did you do the engraving on the trough in the background as well?
    Nah, that's the brand.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    This looks amazing @WezV. The rosette is so pretty
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    Have a wow, looks fantastic
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1652
    Lovely work as always
    Did I miss abit as have had a few glitches lately as you zipped the box up quickly did you just do a basic x brace based of Martin or did you do more work to tune the top scallop braces etc.

looking good
    I went for a pretty standard x brace but more symmetrical on the bridge plate.

Tbh I still haven't made enough traditional acoustics for it to be more than a paint by numbers approach... but lots of measurements and notes as I went along.

I was worried I had overbuilt it when first tuning up, but it's opening up really nicely already.... its literally better every time I strum it

• PennPenn Frets: 351
    That looks brilliant @Wez. I love looking at some of the brilliant things people build and post on here. Lovely guitar! 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1652
    WezV said:
    I went for a pretty standard x brace but more symmetrical on the bridge plate.

Tbh I still haven't made enough traditional acoustics for it to be more than a paint by numbers approach... but lots of measurements and notes as I went along.

I was worried I had overbuilt it when first tuning up, but it's opening up really nicely already.... it’s literally better every time I strum it

Made me laugh better than folding up as you hit pitch lol

thanks
    And done.   I decided to leave the back as a soft gloss, rather than fully buffed.

I think it's done all its initial settling in now.   The neck had moved a bit and the thing was getting gradually worse to play, so it's had a full setup and fret dress to get it back to where it should be.

I couldn't be happier with how it sounds.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter