Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Uninterruptible Power Supply: is it worth it - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Uninterruptible Power Supply: is it worth it

What's Hot
Hi

I have an APC UPS in the cupboard. To use it with my home setup I will need to buy several IEC to 3 pin cables.

How can I decide if it's worth it? There's some low level  hum (Keys, Mic, Helix, Digitakt into XR18 into Adams T7V speakers and sub), worse with the dimmer lights which I don't need to use at all.

I'm thinking its a waste of money to buy new cables and put all the power through the UPS but I truly don't know
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    edited February 2023
    They are to guard against sudden power lost rather than helping with hum and noise. Most will put some noise on as they work by converting the internal batteries DC voltage into 240AC using an inverter which is a lot of digital switching. 

I use a UPS live because it prevents a power outage rebooting the digital desk and losing whatever changes were made to the show file. I did use one in the studio too but only on the main Mac. 

Every UPS has a maximum load it can handle in watts ... so don't put a load of heavy loads on it unless it's a big beast. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jackiojackio Frets: 130
    Perfect. Thanks Danny, I will return it to the cupboard ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    edited February 2023
    The UPS is to stop overcurrents from back emf's due to rate of change of electromagnetic flux when you get a sudden power loss. They're a good idea on expensive electronics, hi-fi, servers, etc. Unless they are specifically designed to condition the power supply then they aren't going to do anything about noise. Power conditioners are a different animal and are generally pretty damn expensive. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    I have a 1500VA UPS in the studio.
    It is critical to guard against outages.
    It doesn't help with noise at all- you need an electrician for that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jackiojackio Frets: 130
    Brilliant help, thank you all
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    I guess it’s all about how many outages have toy experienced so far …and what have to lost because of it….personally I can’t even recall the last time our power went off unexpectedly.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    I guess it’s all about how many outages have toy experienced so far …and what have to lost because of it….personally I can’t even recall the last time our power went off unexpectedly.
    It only takes one to completely hose a drive if the conditions are wrong.
    Which is why a UPS, plus robust backup policy plus offsite additional backup is the belt and braces approach.

Most people would be better focussing on the latter two- having backups alone is better than having a UPS alone.
    Having everything and you massively reduce the chances of data loss.

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    Probably overkill for a home studio really. I've lost data for all sorts of stupid reasons over the years, but literally never because of a power outage in the UK.
  • I suggested one to a DJ friend who was concerned about loss of power by limiters tripping affecting his digital desk’s Hard Drive
    edited February 2023
    Stuckfast said:
    Probably overkill for a home studio really. I've lost data for all sorts of stupid reasons over the years, but literally never because of a power outage in the UK.
    I have, just the once though.
    It was the US though.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Stuckfast said:
    Agreed although It's not just a power outage though ... someone could plug a faulty item into the mains ring and trip the breaker which will cause the same effect. 

www.2020studios.co.uk