Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Burns bad habit? - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Burns bad habit?

What's Hot
Newbie here.  I keep resting my right hand on the (tremelo style) bridge and distorting the tuning.  Is this a bad habit that I have picked up on my accoustic and any suggestions?  I am currently trying to support my right hand by resting my little finger on the plectrum guard.  It may self correct as my strength and technique improves.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• What type of guitar is it? I assume something stratty?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    Down to technique I’m afraid, you can rest on even the floppiest Floyd and not get tuning issues 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What type of guitar is it? I assume something stratty?

Yup!  Strat style Burns!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I had some nerve damage to my neck/shoulder, so my right hand can sometimes shake (one reason why I need to use it or lose it).
  • A pic of the open "rest" area that isn't a rest!

• RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Strumit said:
    … any suggestions?
    A couple of ideas:
    1. Learn to play with your forearm resting on the edge of the guitar body, instead of resting your hand on the bridge.
    2. Play a fixed bridge guitar.
    3. Practice using a lighter touch. Palm muting is an important part of playing.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Roland said:
    Strumit said:
    … any suggestions?
    A couple of ideas:
    1. Learn to play with your forearm resting on the edge of the guitar body, instead of resting your hand on the bridge.
    2. Play a fixed bridge guitar.
    3. Practice using a lighter touch. Palm muting is an important part of playing.

Good advice thanks.  The lighter touch is definitely a problem as I used to work on HGV trucks!  I'm working on it!
  • Yeah, a lighter will come with time. Almost everyone is a bit heavy-handed when they're starting out. 

If you wanted, you can also adjust the trem setup to rest on the body. That means you could only bend notes downwards with the arm, but that might be ok depending on your preferences. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Yeah, a lighter will come with time. Almost everyone is a bit heavy-handed when they're starting out. 

If you wanted, you can also adjust the trem setup to rest on the body. That means you could only bend notes downwards with the arm, but that might be ok depending on your preferences. 

I just looked at that very thing on t'internet.  That may be an option until I "learn" properly.  Still battling with chords and technique at the moment and the "mechanics" of guitar tuning (and carburettors!) always interested me.
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 103
    Swap one bad habit for another, rest on your pinky
    At least it wont wear the plating off your bridge 
  • StrumitStrumit Frets: 15
    edited February 2023
    I'm currently in the middle of setting up the "knife edge" and tremelo and have already found several adjustments that were "out"!  Some new strings ordered and looking for saddle adjustment grub screws as one was already loose under the rear trem/string base cover!  To get the action height correct, the adjusting screws were almost right through the saddles and out the other side (which is probably what happened to the stray screw!).  Once I get it set up correctly, I can get back to "strumming".  I've always been a better mechanic than a guitarist!
  • Setup completed!  Thanks to all for your help and advice.  My tremelo is now on a "proper" knife edge and so, hopefully, my playing will not be.  Keep strumming and picking. Mike