Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Draft saved, but most of it disappears when hit post comment - Help & Feedback Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Draft saved, but most of it disappears when hit post comment

What's Hot
Does anyone else have this problem? I write a long (and obviously interesting  =)) post, including a couple of pictures, hit “save draft”, then when I hit “post comment” all that appears is the first 5 or 6 words of the post?  So frustrating, and obviously I don’t go back and rewrite it, I just post a quick version cos I’m annoyed at all the effort gone to waste …
 This is using an ipad I should say, but does anyone have a solution to this?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Interesting. What I usually do is
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Yes, that kind of thing is really annoyi
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ng
  • Sporky said:
    Interesting. What I usually do is
    Now I know how you get 19961 frets on fretboard  :)

But not the answer to my question! :p
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Sorry.

I've honestly not had that happen. I will do an experimenting. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited February 2023
    The answer to the question is that on any web-based form that requires conversion from plain text to HTML code to display on the page there is some processing going on back and forwards over the "Internet" and glitches can occur.  When I am going to post anything longer than a paragraph that would be a pain to retype, I do so in Windows Notepad then copy and paste it into the comment field so that I can repeat it if it encounters a glitch.  Obviously that's something which would be a pain on a mobile device.  There are some peculiarities on this site and it's not something that those running it have any control over because it uses a platform named Vanilla as the backbone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I think it depends how quickly you hit save draft after typing, and how quickly you then post. 

There's certainly a delay with the auto-save - if I'm typing a comment on page 3 of a thread, for example, then click back to page 2 for some reason, my draft comment is still there but not the last few words I typed or edited.

If I want to be sure of not losing a draft I click save at least a couple of times.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1128
    I can't currently quote posts on my phone (android using Edge) without lots of white space being added and the cursor jumping up into the quoted text, so this problem may be related.

It started a couple weeks ago, but it's not limited to this forum. It also happens on another forum I frequent that uses XenForo, so either Vanilla and Xen are using a similar editor library, or MS have changed something.