Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Camera advice required - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Camera advice required

I've had two Nikon Coolpix L310 bridge cameras, both have broken with the same fault: They switch themselves off when the shutter button is pressed. This is particularly galling when you're at an important event, my son's graduation being one, and in any case neither was that old.

I never really got on with their bulk though, and wonder if there's a decent, compact camera, for not too much dosh? I don't really want to spend more than £100, although I could go to £150 if necessary.

Any advice gratefully received guys, as I know absolutely jack-shit about cameras.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    You could get hold of a used Canon S95 for about that. That's the one that was always marketed as the photographers point and shoot. Does all the auto stuff but if fancied getting into it a bit you have full control over ISO, shutter speed, aperture etc. Great image quality and small.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • birdobirdo Frets: 24
    Panasonic are always worth a look in that kinda price range. Normally fairly feature packed.
  • MickMick Frets: 98
    Check out http://www.dpreview.com/ for some good in depth reviews.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    I have a Sony HX20V and it's superb.
    Slips in your pocket, 18.2 MP, 20x optical zoom and full 1080P HD video.
    My ex took it to Nepal last year and her photos were amazing. She's got a Canon DSLR and she said she preferred using the Sony! 

Mine was over £200 but it's been replaced with the HX50V now so shop around and you'll prob find one around £150.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    You might be able to get a used Olympus EPL1 for that. Brilliant little thing. I keep being tempted by DSLRs but I'd have to spend a small fortune to get an upgrade over the Oly that's worth having.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    The wife has a cannon powershot of some kind that seems pretty decent. I rememebr it wasnt that expensive.
  • What phone you got?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I'm all about the Canons. 

If you want a cheapy compact I'd happily flog you my wifes Casio for not very much. She has a DSR now and doesn't use it. It's not very old.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130

I've got an iPhone 4S.

thanks to everyone for the suggestions, I shall be checking them out.

• http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungtl500

Best compact I have ever owned, snag one of those for around £100 on ebay and you have a bargain
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    Thanks again guys. Monquixote, thanks too, but I have to buy a new one. The Company has accounts at Argos and PC World, so hopefully I can get one of the suggested cameras through them.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    The camera on the iPhone 4S isn't bad - it seems to work especially well in low light conditions compared to my Olympus, but the flash is shit beyond belief, to the point I never use it. (I'm not a fan of flash anyway, except where you can't take a pic without it.)

I also have an Olympus C-560 which is very nice, although getting a bit old now. I've mostly had Olympus cameras, they seem to do a good combination of image quality, size and price. I had a Fuji once which I didn't like - it was annoying to use and the pictures looked artificial.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• slightly above your budget but worth a look in now the Q10 has been released the last gen Q has gone bargainus..

you will struggle to get better IQ for the money than that, piddly small aswell.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Go to the Fuji website and look at their refurbished cameras. You get a full guarantee and quite often yo get a bargain as well.