Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). M1D1 advice - simplest expression input? - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

M1D1 advice - simplest expression input?

Years ago I had a Source Audio midi expression pedal - they appear to be unobtanium now.

If you needed to send MIDI CC foot pedal expression to a 5pin MIDI input - what’s the most compact/simplest way to do it? 
"Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 593
    Disaster area Midi Baby
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Sonuus wahoo and voluum pedals can send cc expression messages I think.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    mrkb said:
    Thanks. Just read the manual and looks like MIdI out is super basic
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    Beexter said:
    Disaster area Midi Baby
    Will take a look 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    TimmyO said:
    mrkb said:
    Just checked and the Wahoo is only MIDI via USB but Voluum has standard MIDI ports so check what you need.. 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    TimmyO said:
    mrkb said:
    Just checked and the Wahoo is only MIDI via USB but Voluum has standard MIDI ports so check what you need.. 
    yeah I did - it’s very basic and can’t be set to send a particular midi cc 
  • Morningstar mc3 and an expression pedal. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 593
    Beexter said:
    Disaster area Midi Baby
    I should have said you need an expression pedal too...
    Sporky said:
    Aye they’ve gone bonkers - wonder why they discontinued it 
    Beexter said:
    Beexter said:
    Disaster area Midi Baby
    I should have said you need an expression pedal too...
    Yep there are a few DA products that like like they’ll do the trick - thanks. May go that route 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    edited January 2023
    TimmyO said:
    mrkb said:
    TimmyO said:
    mrkb said:
    Yes it can. Mine does. You can select which channel it transmits on, and what CC number. You can even select what CC values the toe and heel down positions are.

(EDIT: just checked and this information is *not* in the manual, which isn't helpful. It's definitely possible though, but you'll need the PC editor app to set it up. This dude's video shows how to absolutely rinse this very versatile pedal for everything it can do: )

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Morningstar mc3 and an expression pedal. 
    Missed this - cheers 
    TimmyO said:
    mrkb said:
    TimmyO said:
    mrkb said:
    Yes it can. Mine does. You can select which channel it transmits on, and what CC number. You can even select what values the toe and heel down position is.

(EDIT: just checked and this information is *not* in the manual, which isn't helpful. It's definitely possible though, but you'll need the PC editor app to set it up. This dude's video shows how to absolutely rinse this very versatile pedal for everything it can do: )
    Ah nice one - thanks for that - as you say the manual doesn’t include any of that - cheers 
  • ^^^ no worries. It's a very versatile pedal, but it's pricey (which is not to say it isn't also good value for all the stuff you can do with it) and difficult to get the hang of because there's so much in the box and so few controls on the pedal itself. It would be much simpler with a proper screen instead of the three-digit display, but that would mean more complexity and more cost I guess.

The PC app makes life *much* easier (and lets you access stuff you can't with the pedal itself) but you have to go through all the faff of having it hooked up to a computer when you're writing patches, which isn't ideal for band practices...

• Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Thanks
    TimmyO said:
    Thanks
    Just read the manual etc - that’s a bloody brilliant product. Screw the bluetooth - the rest looks nicely done 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    edited February 2023
    I hadn't seen the manual - looks like you can use the toe switch to toggle between two different CC numbers, which is very cool. Being able to add extra footswitches and have them send more CC messages is a nice touch too.

The only thing I can do with my Sonuus Voluum that this can't is switch between different MIDI channels easily so that I can use it to control different pedals. You can do it on the Boss pedal with the app of course, but who wants to do that at a gig?

I hadn't seen the manual - looks like you can use the toe switch to toggle between two different CC numbers, which is very cool. Being able to add extra footswitches and have them send more CC messages is a nice touch too.

The only thing I can do with my Sonuus Voluum that this can't is switch between different MIDI channels easily so that I can use it to control different pedals. You can do it with the app of course, but who wants to do that at a gig?
    The toe switch thing confuses me a bit - surely engaging the toe switch means you set the first CC parameter to max on the way to activating it meaning you can’t leave that parameter anywhere else :-/