Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). [Accidental NGD] 1967 Gibson J-45 - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

[Accidental NGD] 1967 Gibson J-45

What's Hot
mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
edited January 2023 in Acoustics

I had an hour to kill in town while my girlfriend was getting a pedicure so I took myself to Denmark Street to see if there was anything worth looking at. No. Tom had a lovely ‘65 335 in the window so I go in and have a go on that and a ‘65 Strat. 

Both were too rich for my tastes, but I’ve also been in the market for a 60s J-45 or Hummingbird, and they had a ‘68 Hummingbird and a ‘67 J-45 hanging next to each other on the wall. The Hummingbird was so-so, but as soon as I picked up the J-45 I was like, “oh shit I’m in trouble here” 

Anyway, it’s an absolutely brilliant guitar and rings like a bell. The Hummingbird was still good but was much warmer sounding, this’ll cut through a band setting way better tho I think.

0reaction image LOL 18reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Happy NGD!!!

The J-45 (if a good example) is a very nice find.

:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    Mellish said:
    Happy NGD!!!

The J-45 (if a good example) is a very nice find.

Thanks, I had expected to be (eventually) walking out with a Hummingbird but this really surprised me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 59
    Congrats! That sounds a spectacular find. My J45 is a stunning guitar too, with a beautiful tone strummed or picked. Enjoy...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Congratulations on such a beauty ,surprised you left without a hummingbird though 
      One of my highly desired guitars for an acoustic purely because of Keef . How long til the next pedicure lol ?
    edited February 2023
    @mo6020 and @hollywoodrox ; I'm a sucker for a Gibson 'Bird.

I've had three over the years, one truly great. And I saw one recently but its satin finish put me off (that was at GG Birmingham if any want to pop along if it's still there).

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    That’s very nice. It makes me miss my old one even more :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Congratulations on such a beauty ,surprised you left without a hummingbird though 
      One of my highly desired guitars for an acoustic purely because of Keef . How long til the next pedicure lol ?
    I am too, the hummingbird didn't sound anywhere near as nice and was a grand more, so it was a no-brainer really.
    ICBM said:
    That’s very nice. It makes me miss my old one even more :(.
    It's really great, man. Needs a refret, and I think I'm going to put an LR Baggs in it as well, but I absolutely love it. 
    mo6020 said:

I think I'm going to put an LR Baggs in it
    Don’t.

I’ve spent a reasonable amount of effort removing them cleanly from two of my guitars, including my Dove. They are not the last word in amplified sound, and I would absolutely not modify a vintage instrument to fit one, even a ‘player grade’ example.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited February 2023
    ^ absolutely, I agree with ICBM @mo6020 ;;

I've had a J-200, three 'Birds, a Dove and a J-45. All came fitted with electronics. I removed them on all but the Dove, which I p/e'd anyway. 

@ICBM @Mellish ;

Thanks for the info there guys, I’ve only heard good things previously. 
    edited February 2023
    mo6020 said:

They're fine as far as pickup systems go, one of the better ones - I wouldn't have any issue with fitting one to a modern guitar. However, they don't sound even close to as good as mic'ing the guitar if you're recording, and are you actually going to gig with a '67 J-45?

Personally, I prefer a passive piezo UST pickup and offboard guitar modelling (Fishman Aura etc), anyway - although on a guitar with an adjustable bridge like the J-45 a K&K soundboard transducer is probably the easiest option for a passive pickup. You could possibly make a replacement saddle bar incorporating a piezo strip pickup - but you'll still have to drill the end of the guitar, which I wouldn't do.

This does all remind me of why I stupidly sold my old J-45 too - too fragile to gig, and couldn't be fitted with a pickup anyway, whereas my other guitar (a Lowden, which I never actually liked) had factory-fitted electrics. I should have sold the Lowden and bought a cheap electro for gigging.

When I removed the electronics I did (if I recall correctly) get better tone from each guitar by just doing this. 
    And that's what it's all about for me: tone. I gig but with a mic for me and another for the guitar. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited February 2023
    ICBM said:
    mo6020 said:

They're fine as far as pickup systems go, one of the better ones - I wouldn't have any issue with fitting one to a modern guitar. However, they don't sound even close to as good as mic'ing the guitar if you're recording, and are you actually going to gig with a '67 J-45?

Personally, I prefer a passive piezo UST pickup and offboard guitar modelling (Fishman Aura etc), anyway - although on a guitar with an adjustable bridge like the J-45 a K&K soundboard transducer is probably the easiest option for a passive pickup. You could possibly make a replacement saddle bar incorporating a piezo strip pickup - but you'll still have to drill the end of the guitar, which I wouldn't do.

This does all remind me of why I stupidly sold my old J-45 too - too fragile to gig, and couldn't be fitted with a pickup anyway, whereas my other guitar (a Lowden, which I never actually liked) had factory-fitted electrics. I should have sold the Lowden and bought a cheap electro for gigging.
    so what you’re saying is I need a decent newish acoustic as well so I don’t need to risk the J-45 at the local open mic night?
    mo6020 said:

so what you’re saying is I need a decent newish acoustic as well so I don’t need to risk the J-45 at the local open mic night?
    Yes :). Or at least a cheap newish acoustic ;).

Or if the open mic isn't too scary and you want to risk it, just put a mic in front of the guitar... it sounds much better anyway.

ICBM said:

Or if the open mic isn't too scary and you want to risk it, just put a mic in front of the guitar... it sounds much better anyway.
    I always just used to mic acoustics at gigs anyway, but when I was last gigging frequently all the electronic pickups/preamps sounded like shit. I don't really have any qualms micing it up if it's still noticably better sounding.
    Following up on this for anyone who’s interested - I bought an LR Baggs M1 Passive that I can just screw in to the soundhole when needed. It sounds pretty great so I’d recommend it for those who are wary of drilling into older guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    I have a Baggs M1a (active) which I like.
    Same pick-up I believe, but with a higher output level to go direct into a PA.
    I reckon you made a good choice.
     ;) 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    mo6020 said:
    Following up on this for anyone who’s interested - I bought an LR Baggs M1 Passive that I can just screw in to the soundhole when needed. It sounds pretty great so I’d recommend it for those who are wary of drilling into older guitars. 
    I used to use a SD Woody which always preferred to piezo systems. I'll bet the M1 does sound good :-)
    Soupman said:
    I have a Baggs M1a (active) which I like.
    Same pick-up I believe, but with a higher output level to go direct into a PA.
    I reckon you made a good choice.
     ;) 
    Yeh it’s the same but requires a battery. I have a DI box + preamp so figured I could get away with the passive one. 
    roberty said:
    mo6020 said:
    I used to use a SD Woody which always preferred to piezo systems. I'll bet the M1 does sound good :-)
    I was surprised at how good, actually. It exceeded my expectations.