Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Whats the verdict on the Boss Katana Mk 2 ? - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Whats the verdict on the Boss Katana Mk 2 ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Deadman said:
    Conscious that I don't want to hijack the thread and turn this into yet another bedroom amp discussion, but your thoughts are the type of things that go through my head daily. I hear great things about the DSL40 and it's been on my list for a good while. I'm not afraid to run a big amp at home and am in that camp of thought. The best sound I ever made at home was with a Fender Twin, although I obviously struggled somewhat with overdriven sounds/window shattering/earth movement.

Never looked at the JVM but will now. And you're so right about a 'really' good master volume. BUT. Do I need a valve amp? Oh God, it's happening again  s
    Taking the thread hijack into a nerve shredding second day… 

It does occasionally feel faintly absurd playing the JVM at home, especially as I’m not using for anything which the DSL40 wouldn’t do equally well. I only use the ‘middle’ four gain modes, roughly corresponding to those on the DSL. 

However, my other half also plays and is firmly supportive of it being there. It’s not substantially bigger than the DSL (about 2 inches wider), though admittedly the extra speaker does make it punchier and therefore I have to be very precise with balancing the master volumes. 

On the non-rational side, I’ve never owned a big/biggish Marshall before and it seemed churlish to pass up the opportunity to have this experience given the low price and local seller.

Maybe eventually the sensible side of me will win out and I’ll feel compelled to downsize slightly. In the meantime I’ve just put some fresh EL34’s and a pair of Creambacks in there so may as well get my money’s worth out of them, and see how I get on over the course of the year.
    I had a JCM800 reissue head as my home amp for ages - it was ace. (I did add an attenuator) 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyO said:
    I had a JCM800 reissue head as my home amp for ages - it was ace. (I did add an attenuator) 
    Which attenuator did you use? Was it just to knock a few dB off the top and tame the lower reaches of the master volume, or did you get the power section working a bit? 

Ironically my SC20H and Zilla live round at my mate’s cave for jamming, as the master volume doesn’t really do home volume without also switching to 5w mode which doesn’t sound as good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 526
    Deadman said:
    Arghh! Every time I’m thinking of buying the 50 watt mk2 something stops me. Nah, I really appreciate it. I need to upgrade from my massive Fly 3 twin. I’m now thinking I need to get a Princeton TM or a decent tube amp and an attenuator. Seriously, why is it so hard to try and select the perfect home amp?

I don’t need high gain stuff for my Jam stuff. I’m lost.

May I remind you of my Practice Rig at home . . . 

https://i.imgur.com/LOwx6Ge.jpg

A Champ really is a wonderful, warm & tactile Practice Amp . . . At a smidge over 4 its in a sublime sweet spot :-)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @Deadman ; . . . .  Of course the biggest draw for me was price . . . I was fortunate to get my 50 watt Katana Mk2 for £150 which is peanuts in comparison to a Champ or a Champ Clone or a Princeton TM  . . so don't let my thoughts blur your vision :-) 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    TimmyO said:
    Which attenuator did you use? Was it just to knock a few dB off the top and tame the lower reaches of the master volume, or did you get the power section working a bit? 

Ironically my SC20H and Zilla live round at my mate’s cave for jamming, as the master volume doesn’t really do home volume without also switching to 5w mode which doesn’t sound as good. 
    I had 2 - a Marshall Powerbrake and a Torpedo something (the one that dumped all the load then re-amped it with a built-in linear digital power amp and had recording outputs)

Was definitely a case of getting a cranked sound. The PB100 was simple and passive, the Torpeso had to be powered but had an eq tweak which was handy 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    maw4neu said:
    @Deadman ; . . . .  Of course the biggest draw for me was price . . . I was fortunate to get my 50 watt Katana Mk2 for £150 which is peanuts in comparison to a Champ or a Champ Clone or a Princeton TM  . . so don't let my thoughts blur your vision :-) 
    I was back looking at them last night, am I right in thinking only the Mk2 'EX' is footswitchable? If so it's another 100 notes! 

Love that little champ set up mind. Nice.
    I play at my dining room table.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    Deadman said:
    maw4neu said:
    I was back looking at them last night, am I right in thinking only the Mk2 'EX' is footswitchable? If so it's another 100 notes! 
    My MKII (new) did not come with a footswitch but it did have a jack socket for it. There are a few amp+fs deals on eBay right now. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Yorkie said:
    Deadman said:
    maw4neu said:
    My MKII (new) did not come with a footswitch but it did have a jack socket for it. There are a few amp+fs deals on eBay right now. 
    Cheers for that @Yorkie; you think it'd be easy to find out the difference between the mk2 and the mk2 'EX' but other than the latter being around £100 more I can't see it.
    I play at my dining room table.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    Deadman said:
    Yorkie said:
    Deadman said:
    maw4neu said:
    Cheers for that @Yorkie; you think it'd be easy to find out the difference between the mk2 and the mk2 'EX' but other than the latter being around £100 more I can't see it.

It would have been nice for Boss to have included a simple feature comparison table on their site :p .  From what I could tell from a brief read of the features / manual it looks as though you need the EX (or the 100w versions) in order to make use of the GA-FC EX footswitch which would allow you to easily switch between 4 channels / effects.  The EX also features a line-out whereas the 50 only has a phones out which mutes the speaker.

If you want that switching ability then you’d need to factor in the extra for the EX and the cost of the GA-FC EX which is a further £95.

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086

I'm fascinated by the extremes of happiness, particularly with the MK1 50w combo.

I've had a MK1 since they came out (and swapped a Fender Champion 50 for a second one) and have always been happy with it, though that might be because I've always used it as a clean platform for my pedals and not really touched any of the settings (I have updated it a couple of times), plus I play it pretty quietly so it's never been pushed to any great extent.

Because I've got some gigs coming up this year I'm about to see if one will do instead of taking out either of my recent valve amp purchases (Princeton Reverb and AC15C1) and I will update once I've finished tinkering.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    edited February 2023
    Paul_C said:

Because I've got some gigs coming up this year I'm about to see if one will do instead of taking out either of my recent valve amp purchases (Princeton Reverb and AC15C1) and I will update once I've finished tinkering.
    Two very nice Amps there @Paul_C ;; . . . that said,  a big plus with the Katana is the Clean Tone as its really nice, plus you can add a little Reverb, Delay as well as Modulation and you don't have to use a single pedal . . ! ! ! 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I should add as I often mention that I quite liked the katana that I thought the crunch channel was awful.

I used the clean with pedals or the lead.
    I used the clean with pedals
    Me too. The clean channel with ‘variation’ on behaved more or less like a valve amp. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    Deadman said:
    maw4neu said:

Love that little champ set up mind. Nice.
    The 100w, and 50w EX can both use the 6 button foot switch (GAFC or GAFC-EX) to switch between 2 banks of 4 sounds (so 8 total), plus some other functions like turning effects on and off.

The 50w non-EX can use a 2 button foot switch (any 2 button latched switch will do) to switch between 2 banks of 2 sounds (so 4 total).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited February 2023
    I have one. I used it at practice completely clean with a Revival Drive Hot Rod and it sounded decent. I took it to a gig in a big hall and it sounded awful, but that could've been the venue.

The onboard distortion is absolutely unusable in my opinion, but as a clean platform, it's decent. 

It's purely a backup for me as I have a Friedman BE50. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2275
    edited February 2023
    I've heard a couple of guitarists use them in gigs.   Didn't really like the sound of them tbh. 
     I use a quite a bit of delay/ and tremolo and other modulation effects, so can't envisage the onboard sounds of the katana being anywhere good enough for  a gig.

Conversely  I use a Peavey pro studio Silver stripe at a full band rehearsal, which cost me £20 and a replacement speaker (line 6 GHP80 or whatever its called another £30)  and its sounds magic.   Admittedly the pedalboard is there as well but the core sound of clean/crunch/reverb sounds brilliant at home/rehearsal studio and is easy giggable.   I've gigged a redstripe bandit as well and again that sounds fantastic.   I marginally prefer my valve amps but its not by much.

So I'd say getting something like that and a Line 6 m5 or other cheapy effects would more than cover everything the Katana could do, and be super usable and probably cheaper and  easier to setup
    thomasw88 said:
    Conversely  I use a Peavey pro studio Silver stripe at a full band rehearsal, which cost me £20 and a replacement speaker (line 6 GHP80 or whatever its called another £30)  and its sounds magic.   Admittedly the pedalboard is there as well but the core sound of clean/crunch/reverb sounds brilliant at home/rehearsal studio and is easy giggable.   I've gigged a redstripe bandit as well and again that sounds fantastic.   I marginally prefer my valve amps but its not by much.
    I've got a red stripe Bandit, and since Saturday I also have a Marshall DSL40c. They obviously sound a bit different, but the 'smooth overdrive feel' and 'responsiveness' are there in both.

I used to have a Marshall Class 5 too, but the Bandit sounded way better without cranking it, and was also able to deliver a very similar overdrive sound, although neither sound like a Marshall to me. The Bandit sounds like a few different things that are not Marshall, and the Class 5 sounded like... I don't know, just watch YouTube to make up your own mind. 

Jon

• icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 291
    I watched a you tube vid comparing the 100 vs the Artist, and I thought the Artist sounded much fuller. 
  • i,ve had the mk1 100w combo over 4 years, done about 200 gigs with it, barely touch the controls at gigs, have 3 basic tones set up and use the gfc footpedal. i think it sounds great for live gigs. Other amps i own include a laney vc 30 , peavey valveking and a laney cub 10. 
  • PALPAL Frets: 465
    edited February 2023
    First off I am valve amp snob and have tried Boss Katanas a few time without success I had the original Katana 50 model 
      Then tried the Katana 100 still didn't get there ! I tried the Fender Princeton Tonemaster it was good but didn't do it for me
      Then bought the Boss Katana Mk II 50 watt combo and the variation on amp models made a difference I used this with the
      Xsonic Airstep which made it more useable then Boss bought out the Boss Katana 50 II EX & am awaiting the
      Boss Footswitch. This does watch the Katana 50 MK II does with the Xsonic footswitch but without the need to charge
      Xsonic Airstep . What the Katana 50 MK II EX has is a line out so the speaker doesn't switch off .
      My Katana 50 MK II & the Xsonic Airstep are now for sale.
      The main thing that made it sound different to me was to install Sneaky Amps and these are the original COSM Boss patches
      For me they sound more realistic.
      It's early days for me but it's sounding good. The only problem I have is getting a reasonable price for my 
      Boss Katana 50 MK II & Xsonic Airstep to offset my latest katana & Footswitch. I guess that will just take time.
      As I mentioned I now have the Sneaky Amps in my Katana and to my ears they take away the harshness I didn't like
      also I use the chain setting where the comp is in front of any boost or drive ( it's the one at the bottom of the list )
      I then set the comp light at 50 across the settings and the other thing I do is set the EQ to +3 db.
      this is just a starting point . The sneaky amps are available for the MK1 & MKII katana 50 &100 amps.
      The chain setting is only available on the MK II with the latest updated firmware.
      You actually get more Sneaky Amps on the MK I on the MK II you get 15 ! I use mainly the Fender, Vox & Matchless amps.
       I have eight but will probably end up with about half because after all we don't take eight amps to a gig or rehearsal.
       The other thing is the Boss Katana 50 MK II now has eight presets using the latest Boss EX Foot Controller. 
       As I said I am a valve amp snob but also a technophobe so I just keep settings a basic as possible and I can remember the
       settings just like I was using one of my valve amps. Hope this helps.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    I just watched this and wondered if the artist head is a lot different 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 291
    The Artist head and Combo should be the same I would have thought!. 

Does the Katana include a tuner function? 
    icu81b4 said:
    Does the Katana include a tuner function? 
    No.