Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #90 - Making Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #90

What's Hot
Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #90. Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Thanks to @fastonebaz for providing the backing track for this one.

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

Voting will end at midnight 31st January 2023.

The top three will be announced after the voting closes. No prizes. It's just for fun.

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Almost as tough to pick winners as to solo over this bonkers track!

1st @flying_pie - it nailed the vibe
    2nd @digitalkettle - some of the note choices really lovely and the amp felt like it was about to melt at any given moment
    3rd @stratman3142 - some classic inspiration combined with a nice vibe
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Great playing all round and some serious technique on display. Hard to choose and all quite close.

5 points : @flying_pie : Good fit to the backing. Demented rockabilly. Duanne Eddy meets Dick Dale on some sort of psychedelic experience.

3 points : @digitalkettle : High energy face melting solo. Great time, articulation and phrasing as usual.

1 point : @fastonebaz : Mad guitar over a crazy backing track. Some serious shredding as usual. At one point I thought you were going into Mission Impossible, which is odd because it did cross my mind to do that myself.

It's not a competition.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    edited January 2023
    Tough choice as is usually the case but I'll go with

5 points @fastonebaz for a bonkers take and the usual cracking playing. My only complaint was that the best bit was right at the end and I'd rather it kept going

3 points @stratman3142 - loved it from the Am bit onwards with some quality licks and phrasing. Took a while to realise that what sounded like being lost at the start was a Strauss tribute

1 point @digitalkettle - great playing and phrasing but also too much for the mix overall. I appreciate the hypocrisy from last month but could have been higher placed if it was less up front
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    edited January 2023
    Wow such great compositions here. Was super tough choosing. But here goes

5pts @flying_pie this was a marvelous piece of music for Tarantino meets Wednesday Adams. Nailed the tone, melody and pace just right for that. Great ideas.

3pts @jasonbone75 first half I was Curious, from 27s onwards it was just splendid. Loved the harmonies pace changes, clean playing. Deffo want to hear more.   

1pt @digitalkettle tremendous playing and craftsmanship on phrasing. Very impressive and a great story. I felt I identified more with the licks above though for me. So tough to choose. 

Honorable mention for @stratman3142 though, when I first heard his intro with the majestic sun rise horizon type theme I guffawed heartily aloud and gave an appreciative nod. Cool idea to slip that in   

• "this was a marvelous piece of music for Tarantino meets Wednesday Adams"

Thank you @fastonebaz You put into words what I couldn't!!
  • Good spot: " first half I was Curious, from 27s onwards it was just splendid. Loved the harmonies pace changes, clean playing. Deffo want to hear more. "

The first half was a take from a week before the second session. I wasn't feeling it and simply gave up for a week and let it stew before coming back to do the second half and couldn't be arsed to redo the beginning. Sounds like you could hear the apathy 
    :) 
  • Tough choices...

5pts - @fastonebaz - always teetering on audacious...we shall have to have a whip-round and get some new knife-edges for your Floyd ;)
    3pts - @flying_pie - lots of melodic ideas...but mostly for doubling-down on the B-52s angle
    1pt - @jasonbone75 - solid tonez...nice harmonies...you should've redone the first section!

• maharg101maharg101 Frets: 568

5pts - @digitalkettle - smashed it out of the park for my money, great sound, tonnes of inventive ideas - love it !
    3pts - @jasonbone75 - what about that second half ! :+1: 
    1pt - really hard to call third place on this one, but for audaciously lob-ster'ing such a spaced-out and spicy entrée into the mix, by a claw, 
    it has to be @flying_pie ;
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • Voting ends tonight at midnight.
    It's not a competition.
  • 5 Points @fastonebaz ;

3 Points @digitalkettle ;

1 Point @jasonbone75 ;

Good work, folks.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • Voting closed.

It's not a competition.