Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Patch bays/XLR and Phantom Power - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Patch bays/XLR and Phantom Power

What's Hot
Looking to tidy up my home studio setup (cables everywhere) and am looking at patchbays.
Now normal TRS/TS cables without phantom power are obviously not an issue, but what about XLRs with Phantom power?
Currently my condensor mic is plugged straight into an interface. I have two interfaces one for work attached to my laptop and one for home attached to my PC. These interfaces provide the 48v phantom power.
From what I have read it is not a good idea to have Phantom power going through a patch bay?
So what is the solution? The only one I can think of is have my microphone going through some sort of Mic Pre-amp with the output going to the patch bay. Whilst this is a workable solution for a single microphone, what if I add a second microphone, I'd need another pre-amp.
Can you get some sort of XLR input rack unit that passes through 48v for the microphones with a 1/4 jacks out at the back without the phantom power? These would then be routed through to the back of the patchbay?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    You could get a stand-alone phantom power supply and keep it 'downstream' of the patchbay. There are lots of small single-channel ones around, and if you look on eBay etc you should be able to find a larger multi-channel one fairly affordably. AKG used to make an eight-way one that pops up from time to time for example.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Would XLR to TRS going into the patch bay and TRS to XLR out not carry the phantom power? Assuming it was set to thru/open. 

I was hoping to do this with the XLR input of my Helix Rack. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    Yes it would carry the phantom power and that's exactly the problem. If you plug in something that can't tolerate phantom power you risk damaging it. That's especially the case with TRS plugs as you get a momentary short when plugging or unplugging the cable.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Stuckfast said:
    Yes it would carry the phantom power and that's exactly the problem. If you plug in something that can't tolerate phantom power you risk damaging it. That's especially the case with TRS plugs as you get a momentary short when plugging or unplugging the cable.  
    That's useful to know @Stuckfast, I wasn't planning on using the phantom power option but if the need arises in the future I'll know not to run it that way. 

Am I OK doing the above without phantom though?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    edited January 2023
    I do not put microphones on TRS or bantam patchbays.
    It doesn't matter how careful you are, eventually something will get fried.
    Ask me how I know.

So, XLR patchbay for microphone inputs, bantam bays for everything else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    octatonic said:
    Ask me how I know.
    How do you know? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Stuckfast said:
    I think that explains why quite a few Akai Forces have had their audio I/O boards fried.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Sporky said:
    octatonic said:
    Ask me how I know.
    How do you know? 
    I forget.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    You can switch balanced mic signals just like any other signal using switches. This box I built switches 2 mics into the same live channel but you can switch 1 mic to 2 different interfaces using the same trick. 

You can do it with one 3PDT ... that box has 2 switches for a mute all option as well
    www.2020studios.co.uk