Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Electronic Drum set for jams - recommendations please - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Electronic Drum set for jams - recommendations please

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438
edited January 2023 in Other Instruments
I used to have one of the first Pro kits, a Roland TD-10 mesh kit. It was a bit bulky, but sounded good, I sold it on to save space really

I've started jamming more recently, my mate uses an acoustic set, and asked if I had a set when I proposed jamming at my house, but acoustic sets are large, and his snare buzzes along with everything when not in use. Can you completely damp drums when not in use?

I wondered about whether to get a cheaper electronic set, what sort of thing is worth considering?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    I put a bit of foam between edge of the hihats, and slacken the snare tension arm on my kit and it stops all vibrations/buzzes when I’m playing guitar in my music room.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Alesis and Roland (TD02 or TD07) both got affordable compact ekits.   We even gig with an old cheaper Roland one in the very smallest venues.

You can damp a rattly snare though if acoustic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    I wondered about whether to get a cheaper electronic set, what sort of thing is worth considering?
    Hang on to your money until the person who will be playing the hypothetical electronic kit has actually tried it.

I do not play drums but I do understand that the physical feel is vitally important. If your jamming friend dislikes the sensations of practicing rudiments on a plastic tray, he is unlikely to be happy on an electronic kit and his playing will suffer.

Whenever I re-watch Neil Peart's DVD, Taking Center Stage, I notice that some of his hits are on whatever percussion produces the right sound for the song whilst others are moves that are just fun to do.

In short, a plastic drum kit may sap most of the joy out of playing. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1522
    The feel is different, particularly on the cymbals but it’s a compromise worth having for playing in a small space and not upsetting neighbours or deafening each other. For the same reason guitar players these days use small amps or modellers instead of the big non master volume monsters we’d all love to play. 

Our pub has a Roland V drum in the rehearsal room and it’s also what’s used for the vast majority of gigs by us and visiting bands. We’re increasingly finding that drummers coming in for gigs have the same or similar kit at home and are fine with it. Others take to it quickly and are happy, the occasional one moans about it.