Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Electronic drum monitor recommendation - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Electronic drum monitor recommendation

What's Hot
Wife is a drummer, and she's got an electronic kit. We've been sharing a Marshall CODE 25, playing simultaneously through 'instrument in' and 'line in'. However she is getting a bit fed up with the flubby low end. I think she needs her own amp, and she agrees but doesn't want me to spend a fortune on it. She just wants 'to hear the bass drum a bit more like I get it through headphones'. 

Based on what I've found on YouTube, the Roland PM-100 is what she's after, although it might be too expensive. I've found the PM-10 but it's nowhere close. Have I overlooked any cheaper but worthy contenders? I think she doesn't want me to spend more than £200-300.
Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Low end powered PA speaker should be ok.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    mrkb said:
    Low end powered PA speaker should be ok.
    This.

But e-drums are always compromised on a budget.
    You can't get the low end working unless you have a good room too.
    A lot of the flubb is just bad acoustics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    It’s not the room, I think. We tried a 1x12 once with great results, but space is limited under her kit, so she probably needs one of those angled amps. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

Any thoughts on the Carlsbro EDA 30 and 50? They look decent enough. There's only one video on YT where I can hear how they sound more or less properly. They look comparable to the Roland PM 100, just cheaper?

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 270
    If you are trying to keep the volume down a drum throne bass shaker might be the answer but it would not be as cheap as a simple, budget PA speaker, as mentioned by others, above.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Whistler said:
    If you are trying to keep the volume down a drum throne bass shaker might be the answer but it would not be as cheap as a simple, budget PA speaker, as mentioned by others, above.
    His Mrs might start playing the drums too much is she gets one of those....
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    We're OK for volume, just a bit challenged on carpet real state. I think we won't be able to fit anything bigger than 40 x 40 x 40 cm, and even that might be tricky. The Carlsbro EDA50 looks great on paper, but it may just be too big. 

• blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    Just scanning the V Drum fb page:

Alto powered speakers come up a lot 312/315
    Roland PM30
    Alesis strike 12

I run mine through my pc interface to powered monitors (AE22)
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Why not try a Behringer b205d ?? stand mounted..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Thanks for the suggestions. I think a stand-mounted speaker would be even more problematic considering where she's got the drum kit. It's got to be something like the Roland or Carlsbro amps. I know the Roland (PM100) sounds good, but we could only afford it second hand and there are no options available to us at the moment. The Carlsbro may be bought online, but there are almost no video reviews (just stupid unboxing videos) and I don't think we can try it anywhere within driving distance of Jorvik. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    The footprint requirement is difficult, or I would say an old-school powered 1x12" wedge monitor - Peavey, Laney, Carlsbro etc all did them. They're robust and typically sell for under £100 in full working order.

The Carlsbro drum amp should be half-decent, their stuff isn't the most sophisticated but it is fairly well-made and reliable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Update: wife ordered the Carlsbro EDA50 last night, and it has arrived this morning. No idea how something like this is even possible, and I'm not sure I wanna know. She paid £169 delivered, boxed new and all that. 

It looks very robust. It's carpeted on the sides. It also looks bigger than what the measurements indicated and almost didn't fit. The EQ is useful – and thank goodness, because the bass is heavy enough halfway through the knob – and the tweeter is delightful. Volume-wise I don't think this can get as loud as an acoustic kit, but it's plenty loud. It's got both aux in and line in (?) besides a stereo instrument input. As @ICBM said, it's unsophisticated but well made. A punchy 10" woofer with separate tweeter and 50W output in a bombproof cab for £169... I'll take it. Well, she'll take it but I can finally have the CODE for myself. 

We've jammed for a while at lunchtime and it all sounded brilliant. Very happy indeed.

Jon 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Excellent. It might sound loud in the house, but at 50W through a 10" speaker it won't be remotely as loud as an acoustic kit.

... but you say that like it's a bad thing ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    ... but you say that like it's a bad thing ;).
    Nope; we bought the e-drums because I couldn’t cope with the real thing. I had to leave the house every time she practised :astonished: 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Ok, here is an update after a couple of now weeks. The drum monitor works _very_ well, but now the CODE gets drowned in a sea of bass. Tried to increase the bass a bit but it got farty; I think we’re hitting the limits of that little combo — too big a speaker for such a small cabinet? Closed back? No idea. Brought the Bandit downstairs temporarily to record a song — big difference, but not quite exactly the tone I was using on the CODE. Paraphrasing chief Brody: “you’re gonna need a bigger Marshall”. 

Jon