Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). SORTED: Strat 10-way super-switch - Parts £ Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

SORTED: Strat 10-way super-switch

What's Hot
goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
edited August 2023 in Parts £
I'm tempted to give one a go. Does anyone have one knocking around?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I used to have one in the parts drawer. I think it came in something I bought about 20 years ago. I can see if it's still around.

They are a bit big, I recall that it didn't fit in tight spaces. I won't ever use it, I decided years ago that simple switching suits me best.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    That'd be great. I was hoping that I can ignore the 5 'extra' positions when I want, and just use the simple Strat switching. Perhaps I've got the wrong end of the stick?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    goldtop said:
    Perhaps, I've got the wrong end of the stick?
    I suspect that the two of you may be at cross purposes.

One of you appears to be expressing interest in the Freeway 5B5-01 selector switch. 

The other may be referring to the 20-terminal Superswitch used by Fender on some Deluxe American models in conjunction with an S-1 switch.

It is possible to extract ten sounds from a 24-contact Superswitch but, again, some sort of mode switch would be required to flip between the two "banks" of five sounds.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    I have a Freeway switch on a HSS Strat and it is rather good.
    The way it works is there are two axes of 5 positions: I have one which gives the 5 normal SSS selections and then flipping the selector sideways gives me an extra row of 5, which include bridge humbucker, neck + bridge single coil, all 3 single coil, and a couple of phase variations.
    I've also got a 6-way toggle on a Rickenbacker bass with a Seymour Duncan humbucker Treble pickup; I have one axis selecting 3 positions with the humbucker in single-coil and the other with it in humbucker mode.
    I can't say the blade one is particularly larger that a normal Strat selector, but they are a pig to solder - I did mine with an old Antex and it's not the tidiest work I've done.
    They're not hugely expensive anyway.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Yup - the Freeway one @prowla is talking about is the one I am after. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    goldtop said:
    Ahh, my bad. I was thinking of the old 20 terminal superswitch as mentioned above. 
    axisus said:
    goldtop said:
    Ahh, my bad. I was thinking of the old 20 terminal superswitch as mentioned above. 
    No worries - thanks anyway. :)
    One bump before buying new

(trying to be a skinflint save the planet by using stuff you're not)
    IMO, it is worth paying the price for brand new just to avoid cleaning off whatever residue the previous owner might have left on the terminals of a used switch.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    True enough 
  • NeckwringerNeckwringer Frets: 356
    Would one of these be of any interest...........................?

Whatsit?
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1726
    Looks like a Alan Entwistle ATN thingamajig
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    We have the freeways in stock too - love them!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Sesh said:
    As used in Höhner JT60 guitars.
    Be seeing you.
    Sesh said:
    OK, but I'm none the wiser about what it does, even after finding the Entwistle page. :anguished: 

I think I'll stick to what I know and go for the Freeway.
    We have the freeways in stock too - love them!
    Can't see them on your site - am I looking in the wrong place?
    On the Feline website home page, click on the Menu symbol (top left). From the list, select Shop. You will be presented with all manner of tempting goodies. 

This is where I found the excellent Fat Cat Jackson JT-6 vibrato sustain block. :)
    Be seeing you.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    nope - haven't got them listed as yet....need to get onto that 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• SeshSesh Frets: 1726
    goldtop said:
    Sesh said:
    OK, but I'm none the wiser about what it does, even after finding the Entwistle page. :anguished: 

I think I'll stick to what I know and go for the Freeway.
    Yeah, I don't think it would be the solution you are looking for. But wired up into a strat style guitar you could get a wide range of tones. I always felt its claims of hitting tele, strat, LP, P90 and acoustic sounds where slightly optimistic, but certainly fun. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    edited August 2023
    One last bump! - NOW SORTED.