Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fender Gold Foil Jazz - looks interesting - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fender Gold Foil Jazz - looks interesting

What's Hot
UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
Love the aesthetics of this but not sure I'd want a GF in a bass.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_mh_gold_foil_jazz_bass_eb_snb.htm

£1200 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Looks suspiciously like a Rick pickup casing... and the low E string doesn't pass over the pole area.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Just another bandwagon. 

IMO, the important aspect of any "gold foil" pickup is the design eccentricity of its innards. Their appearance is secondary.

Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Seems like these pickups aren't really golf foils underneath, but generic minimums. Who'd have guessed that Fender would put a fancy cover on a generic pickup...?! [gets flashbacks to 20 years of MIJ Jazzmaster pickups and Mexican WRHBs]

But generally I just don't get the obsession with gold foils lately. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1521
    Given it's traditionally a 2 pickup instrument, not sure why they don't shove a conventional p/u in there too for versatility.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    Bizarre concept. Why not use two 'gold foils'? Sounds like a generic but weak P bass in that video.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 565
    And £1200 for a Mexican Fender?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    CE1 said:
    And £1200 for a Mexican Fender?
    Some Mexican models hit £1200 and more ages ago. Sadly it's where we're at.

(e.g. list price on the Jason Isbell signature Tele is over £1400 now)

Anyway, back to the bass... I wish they did a short scale of some description with this pickup. A Mustang bass perhaps... I think that would fit the vibe a little better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fender changes cosmetics, reduces versatility and charges a huge premium. Who'd have thought it? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Mex Fenders are now at very silly prices.

I'd rather have a Sandberg. Actually I'd pick a Sandberg over a US Fender as well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852

I'd rather have a Sandberg. Actually I'd pick a Sandberg over a US Fender as well. 
    I don't think I've ever seen their guitars in person but the basses look spectacular. I want this please!

https://configurator.sandberg-guitars.de/?code=CANT4-TM:D-N-4S-34-SA-VW-ALD-NOT-RWF-F-DTA-NOM-ANIH-CLT-2EQ+SSW-TP-X-RH
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • £1200 is insane.

When I started playing a US Fender was £600. :-(

I don't think I've ever seen their guitars in person but the basses look spectacular. I want this please!

https://configurator.sandberg-guitars.de/?code=CANT4-TM:D-N-4S-34-SA-VW-ALD-NOT-RWF-F-DTA-NOM-ANIH-CLT-2EQ+SSW-TP-X-RH

Very nice - apart from the tort, obviously!

I've got 2 Sandbergs with another on the way in about April.

I've had 2 others in the past that I moved on as they were too heavy. They were the original California series. The 2 I have are California II series and are a big improvement.

They are just fantastic. 

Their take on the Telecaster looks really nice. I've not seen one in person but I'd love to give it a try. They'll make it with the Superlight wood options too.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    I kinda like this. I don’t think it’s worth that much and I’m not a fan of sticking any old pickup under a foil cover to jump on a bandwagon but it definitely has appeal. 

I suspect under the fancy frock there, it has a lot in common with the Squier 50s P bass. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    dazzajl said:

I suspect under the fancy frock there, it has a lot in common with the Squier 50s P bass. 
    Pretty much this.

Like:
    P pickup position and controls
    Matching headstock

Don't like:
    Single coil pickup (likely to hum)
    Bound neck (personal taste)
    Those knobs

I can't see Jazz Bass aficionados wanting one of these because they can't do that pickup-balance-jiggling malarkey.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    On the bright side, it looks like you could put a Rickenbacker bass neck pickup in there and have it sound good... or a HB1 humbucker and have it both sound good and not hum :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited January 2023
    Or a bass Filter'Tron or a Bartolini RIC replacement pickup or a Seymour Duncan Lemmy Kilminster signature pickup.

Keefy said:
    I can't see Jazz Bass aficionados wanting one of these because they can't do that pickup-balance-jiggling malarkey.
    Depends how one regards the Jazz Bass.

Is it a body outline?
    Is it a narrow neck?
    Is it about having two pickups?
    Is it a specific sound palette?

Several Fender signature Jazz Bass models have featured non-JB electronics in the familiar chassis. Is the Mark Hoppus model a misshapen P Bass? Is the Active Flea model a misshapen Stingray/Modulus?

What would a Jazz Bass with two Oil City Overkill pickups sound like? 
    Be seeing you.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    ICBM said:
    Looks suspiciously like a Rick pickup casing... and the low E string doesn't pass over the pole area.
    The recent Supro range of gold foil basses suffered from the exact same flaw - output from E string was damped by the pickup being to narrow for the string spacing.Cosmetics over functionality.
    https://youtu.be/SE9FZ2nhFYo

Not a good review!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I really hate it when YouTubers give everything glowing reviews  :-D

Such a shame. I think it looks awesome and I like the tones (e string aside, obviously). Not quite sure how Fender have managed to let this out the building. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    Oh dear!