Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Looking for advice on small MIDI controllers... - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Looking for advice on small MIDI controllers...

What's Hot
JalfreziJalfrezi Frets: 50
edited January 2023 in Digital & Modelling
I shall shortly be the proud owner of a GT1000 Core, and looking at MIDI controllers to improve control.  One of my aims is for a small pedalboard, but will have 2 or 3 Drive pedals, possibly with a Morningstar ML5 to control them.  I also have a Boss EQ-200 that will be staying on the board, simply 'cause I like the ease of manually tweaking my tone.

However, I'm really not sure what to do for a controller.  I have an Boss MS-3 that I like, but is somewhat redundant now, and quite large compared to the MIDI controllers I'm considering, which are:
  • Morningstar MC3 or MC6
  • Disaster Area DMC Micro Pro, or Midi Baby 3
At the moment I'm leaning towards the MC3, as it seems more powerful, but I'm not convinced I fully understand these things yet, and mainly learn by doing rather than reading manuals.

I'm unsure if i would use a controller with the GT1K buttons, or just let the controller drive everything. Any thoughts (please )
my trading feedback HERE
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• markblackmarkblack Frets: 1534
    I haven't used the DA stuff - but I've has and MC6 for a while now and it's great, really easy to use, youtube tutorials are super handy, online software is great and makes it really easy - and the forums are pretty good as well if you have a question. It would be a bit tricky to use with just the pedal and no online version - but even that seems pretty well thought out.

I looked at the MC3 but knew you always want one more button! so I'd say got for the MC6 if you choose that area.

M
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm in a similar spot at a similar time. I've just popped a GTk Core on my board and I'm working out the best way of using it in the most flexible way for my own needs. I've got lots of choices, it seems... 

I already owned a Hotone Ampero Control MIDI controller, which was good enough to get started, and inexpensive. That's got 4 buttons (not enough) and no display (so you can't see the state of any "toggled" on/off buttons). But, it's very, very easy to program with the Hotone app, using an iPad over Bluetooth and it's in my cupboard, so...  

Using PC commands to switch GTk presets is instant enough to use live and negates the need to think about Line 6 style snapshots. Anything else can be done using CC commands. There are two extra stereo input jacks for extra control inputs. You can add extra pedals that generate extra MIDI commands using a standard footswitch (2 per jack socket) or expression pedals (1 per jack socket).

The Control isn't anything like as sophisticated as the MC6/8, but it looks a better bet for me than an MC3. Once you're in a bank (a preset, conceptually) I can load a GTk preset using one button, or toggle between two different ones using the same button. The other buttons can turn effects on/off or change effect parameters. I'm also sending MIDI to a Plethora X5. 

So I'm getting stuff done using something I already own at an affordable price point. It's showing me that MIDI control is a good thing for me, but I'm already finding it hard to know where I am when playing (is the drive on or off now and I really can't strum a chord at the gig to find out mid-song) because there is no status display or light for the buttons. 

I'm keeping the GTk in Manual mode, and I use the buttons on the GTk as toggle footswitches for effects - because that does then give me a status display for those buttons at least. I've worked out that you can leave the GTk in Manual mode if you're changing presets using MIDI. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Having slept on it, I think I'm gonna go the Morningstar route (when I can find one I can afford).

I also think I shall add something like the CME Thru6, so I can setup the GTk and MC from my phone.
    my trading feedback HERE
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1790
    edited January 2023
    I have a Disaster Area DPC5 for midi and switching etc. Very easy to use and great for my small board. In fact I’m thinking of selling my Boss ES-5 as the DA does all I need nowadays 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 387
    I use an MC8 and it’s one of those things that just work brilliantly.  As well as bringing your midi pedals to life (eg H9 becomes super useful) it’s great for controlling Logic too. 
    I’d get the MC6 over the MC3 as it’s not much bigger and those buttons are so useful. 
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1003
    edited January 2023
    I’ve had the Morningstar stuff and it works brilliantly (I used it with a GT1000 core) but I ended up going back to my MS3 before rethinking that too - now I use a Hotone Ampero Control pedal which is super simple, small and works brilliantly (much cheaper too!). Give it a look but it may be simpler than you want. (There’s also an Ampero Patch Commander which is again a simple but effective 4 loop patch switcher - I use them together).